Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

I just can't grasp the idea of DPAF omission on 4k60 videos.

1DX2 could do DPAF at 4k60 even though in cropped mode. Surely 1DX3 should be able to do DPAF in 4k60 at least in cropped mode.
Such a laughable downgrade.

I just hope that the spec isn't final & there'll be DPAF in 4k60 mode, both crop & full size, on final consumer product.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I just can't grasp the idea of DPAF omission on 4k60 videos.

1DX2 could do DPAF at 4k60 even though in cropped mode. Surely 1DX3 should be able to do DPAF in 4k60 at least in cropped mode.
Such a laughable downgrade.

I just hope that the spec isn't final & there'll be DPAF in 4k60 mode, both crop & full size, on final consumer product.

What I think is happening is that doing a full sensor readout at 50+fps leaves no room/time for AF, but reading a cropped part or using line/column skipping does.
If we look at the closest performing camera Canon has, the M6II, that tops out at 18MP, 30FPS in 12-bit mode for AF. I don't know if that's a sensor or digic limitation, the 1dx3 specs make me think it's the digic 8 being the bottleneck in the M6II, but not by a large margin.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
R don't count. They just poking the waters to see how people react. I'm hoping Canon enters the mirrorless market this year.
Even the R and RP are employing some technology from previous SLR cameras, saying they don't count is simply an opinion and voicing it as fact sounds silly.

In any case Canon has a line of wildly successfull APS-C mirrorless bodies far longer than the R has been around.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I love my 5d4 but objectively the D850 was / is a better camera. It didn't move the needle for Nikon. Their D5 probably won't either.

This is a key observation and one reason why so much of the trolling (i.e. 'Canon is doomed because they haven't released the BEST POSSIBLE BODY') by some on these forums is misplaced. Releasing a camera that many - even most - think is better does not necessarily yield better sales. I'm not advocating for laziness, but then I don't think Canon are being lazy - you change what you need to, and not everything needs to be changed (especially as it costs money, and if doing so doesn't help you make more back, then it's a bad business decision).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I don't know any photographers who shoot handholding with super telephotos that would not applaud losing almost 2 lbs of camera weight. I shoot BIF with a 1DX2 and a Canon 600mm f4 lll. Doable but a work-out!

With its lower pricing, performance and features, the A92 is taking a share of the enthusiast as well as pro shooters. I just hope the 1DX3 offers superior AF. We will see soon.

It's not the loss of weight overall, which I agree is a good thing, but how the weight is distributed. Mind you, the latest supertelephoto lenses are also a fair bit lighter, so the balance may still be fine with a lighter body.

Incidentally, bravo! I have tried BIF with the 500L II and found it too cumbersome to do for very long (mind you this was swifts, maybe it's more feasible with bigger birds). I figured using a shorter focal length with a much lighter lens was the best compromise (in that case the 70-200 + extender was what I had to hand).

Edit - I missed that you said the mark III. Even so, impressive! How easy do you find keeping moving birds in the frame at such a narrow FOV?

Upvote 0
The "old" af is completely unusable. It takes up to 10 seconds for the hunting focus to find something, IF it finds anything. There is no possibility for continous focus pull. It just keeps on hunting and hunting.

DPAF is without much doubt the best AF in the industry and incredible smooth and reliable. If looks like pulled by hand. It tracks smooth and completely quiet, without ANY pumping or hunting.

Its like the difference between analog and digital.

So does DPAF still has an advantage over sony's af ? live A7III and A7SII ?

Upvote 0
So does DPAF still has an advantage over sony's af ? live A7III and A7SII ?
Some people say the latest version of DPAF is now just about equal to Sony, that Canon has finally more of less caught up. Others claim that the most recent DPAF is better than Sony's combination of focus techniques.

FYI Canon has a patent on quad pixel AF or Sony would be using it, for example in their rumored quad bayer A7S III sensor design, which would be just perfect - a 15Mp design each with 4 sub pixels creating 60Mp in 'slow read mode' what apparently can be read at 15fps. (60Mp @ 15fps, but no on-chip AF). In fast read mode the leaked designs show 4.8k video @ 90fps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0