Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Oct 9, 2011
Again, the spec for this camera is too little too late - i.e., if Canon would've offered (which I know they can) a short (say 1 minute) burst-mode of 30/fps at 8k (with high shutter speed) to use both for still and video - such camera would kill any competitor. But sadly, what Canon lacks is someone at the helm similar to Steve Jobs, Allan Kay, Jim Jannard, Elon Musk, etc. Sadly, nowadays Canon has turned into Hewlett Packard - a company with the most brilliant engineers but with a leadership of anti visionaries.

-- peer

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Again, the spec for this camera is too little too late - i.e., if Canon would've offered (which I know they can) a short (say 1 minute) burst-mode of 30/fps at 8k (with high shutter speed) to use both for still and video - such camera would kill any competitor.

The cameras that can do what you specify are things like the RED Monstros 8Ks, and those run $80k. Unrealistic for Canon, Sony, or anyone else to put that in a camera that has to cost at most $6 or 7k.

Beyond that, those 8K systems also require active cooling with fans and openings. I don't think sports photographers and journalists will appreciate their cameras suddenly not being water resistant any more.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
If I were making a poll, I'd ask Canon Rumors readers which they'd prefer: a 1DX mk III with 1) 4K video and 24mp, or 2) 5.9K video and 20mp. I would bet my gear bag the majority would want the former, but Canon is apparently producing the latter. Strange times.

I would bet that most Canon Rumors readers are not in the target market for this camera. Reuters, AP, AFP, SI, etc... probably told Canon that 20mpx is plenty -- and those organizations are buying thousands of cameras.

20 megapixels is enough to fill a double spread in Sports Illustrated at 300 dpi, and even then it is the rare photo that gets the double spread treatment. Most photos gets thrown out immediately, and most of the selected ones will just end up on Twitter feeds / web galleries at 2 or 3 mp, so why process 30 megapixel files?

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I would bet that most Canon Rumors readers are not in the target market for this camera. Reuters, AP, AFP, SI, etc... probably told Canon that 20mpx is plenty -- and those organizations are buying thousands of cameras.

20 megapixels is enough to fill a double spread in Sports Illustrated at 300 dpi, and even then it is the rare photo that gets the double spread treatment. Most photos gets thrown out immediately, and most of the selected ones will just end up on Twitter feeds / web galleries at 2 or 3 mp, so why process 30 megapixel files?

Sure, you're absolutely right about sports spreads, but I don't think there's a print outlet alive that wouldn't want images large enough to crop, if they wanted. A few hundred pixels can be the difference between a good composition and a great one, and that's what going from 20 to 24 mp would have afforded, in situations like that (which happen all the time in sports and events work, not to mention birding and wildlife).

To address the elephant in the room, it's also just kinda . . . weird . . . to not increase the mp of the 1D series, at this point. Makes me view the camera suspiciously, what can I say.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Sure, you're absolutely right about sports spreads, but I don't think there's a print outlet alive that wouldn't want images large enough to crop, if they wanted. A few hundred pixels can be the difference between a good composition and a great one, and that's what going from 20 to 24 mp would have afforded, in situations like that (which happen all the time in sports and events work, not to mention birding and wildlife).

To address the elephant in the room, it's also just kinda . . . weird . . . to not increase the mp of the 1D series, at this point. Makes me view the camera suspiciously, what can I say.

Perhaps in practice they are not seeing enough cropping issues to override other concerns or wishes they want (lower noise, higher DR, etc...)? Or Canon cheaped out and reheated the 1DX2 sensor to save some coin. We'll know soon enough.

Upvote 0
@frankchn, first of all, the 2.6Gbps (or 320MB/s) data processing and write speed of this camera's 5.4k raw IS MORE THAN the 300mb/s of a Red DSMC2 brain. It's all about what options Canon is choosing to give to us at various price points, and US$6500 apparently isn't enough for a whole lot of options that wouldn't cost Canon an extra cent in production costs.

Second, you put down a lot of Canon Rumors readers and posters. There are numerous press photographers posting here (me for example), not to mention the other types of full time pro photographers who have a strong interest in this new camera, and have posted their feelings about it.

Upvote 0
Mmmm. I am looking forward to more real articles on the final specs to come out in media. I had been thinking of selling my Mark I or Mark II to get the Mark III but my initial reaction is that it may not be worth it. I like the idea of illuminated buttons, though I would only use them for personal use and only a few times a year. The improved AF would be nice, but the Mark I and II are very good anyway. I very rarely use 4K video and still shoot in 1080p so the upgrade in video is of little interest, right now at least - and I doubt it will be over the next four years. If I were to buy the new one I would also have to invest in new cards (sufficient for video, back up etc) which would be a considerable amount. Not decided yet, but if I were a betting man I would imagine the contents of my camera bag will look the same as it does now this time next year.

Upvote 0
Perhaps in practice they are not seeing enough cropping issues to override other concerns or wishes they want (lower noise, higher DR, etc...)? Or Canon cheaped out and reheated the 1DX2 sensor to save some coin. We'll know soon enough.
I personally think this is a new BSI sensor. A major historical issue with Canon's sensor tech has been their read speeds, but the rumours were that they'd built production facilities capable of fabricating BSI (stacked) sensor tech. The major advantage of this is being able to get data off the sensor faster without needing to reduce photo-site size to fit in on-chip processing.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
@frankchn, first of all, the 2.6Gbps (or 320MB/s) data processing and write speed of this camera's 5.4k raw IS MORE THAN the 300mb/s of a Red DSMC2 brain. It's all about what options Canon is choosing to give to us at various price points, and US$6500 apparently isn't enough for a whole lot of options that wouldn't cost Canon an extra cent in production costs.

Second, you put down a lot of Canon Rumors readers and posters. There are numerous press photographers posting here (me for example), not to mention the other types of full time pro photographers who have a strong interest in this new camera, and have posted their feelings about it.

Hold on, I might be misunderstanding what the DSMC2 "Brain" does vs the sensor box, but how can the Monstro 8K VV or the Helium 8K S35 do 8Kp60 (8192 x 4320 x 60 = 2.12 Gpixels/second -- even at 8bit RAW that is 2.12 GBytes/second), much more than 300 MBytes/second.

The 1DX Mark III will do 5472 x 2886 x 60 fps = 947 Mpixels/second. If we scale out to 8K, then that results in a framerate of 27 fps. I guess it is close, but it is discounting the additional heat, etc... the sensor will output with the additional photosites. I still think that they could probably not their engineering goals and price point if they included an 8K-capable sensor (8192 x 5641 for 3:2, which means 46 megapixels instead of 20).

I'm sorry if I came across as putting folks down, but there is a reason that all the rumors for the 1DX3 and D6 point to 20-24 megapixels, and Sony (despite going after lots of tech/megapixels/whatever in every other market) decided that 24mp is good enough for the A9 Mark II going into an Olympics year in Tokyo.

I don't believe that this is coincidental and their largest customers must be telling them that the resolutions of the current generation of cameras are good enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I personally think this is a new BSI sensor. A major historical issue with Canon's sensor tech has been their read speeds, but the rumours were that they'd built production facilities capable of fabricating BSI (stacked) sensor tech. The major advantage of this is being able to get data off the sensor faster without needing to reduce photo-site size to fit in on-chip processing.

If they've managed to fix their read speed issues, that would be tremendous.

Upvote 0
Strange situation - geek inside of me yells - 20mpx is bad, Canon does not want to innovate. But then you have to think - Canon uses some data, ambassadors, end they surely have asked - guys, what bothers you most with the recent model? And maybe the mpx count was the last thing mentioned, at least for the particular focus group? So while the resolution stays the same, new camera gets faster in transfers, faster in focusing, which means potentially more keepers, etc.

On the other hand, I can see also prospective buyers complaining, so maybe camera like 1DX-III have more targets, than just a sports? Or maybe there is a market gap to a higher mpx, a bit slower one? Who knows ....

Next stir (including myself) there is going to be is imo around the next R model, if it is a high mpx one. Once again one might have a feeling like - Canon, another camera noone realy asked for - give us 5DV in an R form instead, in a sense of not probably more than 40mpx and better high ISO performance.

All that means, that there are many of us, with different usage scenarios. I will patiently wait for the 5DV in an EOS-R form, because doing weddings, we care about high iso, focusing and only a reasonable (if at all) resolution bump. But once again - that's just us, guy next door might have quite different needs :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been answered already here, but is it the same old mark II sensor or a completely new one?

I bet it is a completly new one, just identical resolution. Old sensor tech was not able to get reasonable read-out speeds. First speed burst we could see was with the 90D and M6-II. Dunno how it was achieved, if it was/is BSI or not, but those two releases might mean new sensor tech generation. I am eager to see, if the new 1DX-III sensor brings in even some more innovation ....

Upvote 0

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
The questions that concern me are:
- does it have the oil splatter problem?;
- is the AF tracking at the D5 leve?l;
- does it drop the FPS in servo?;
- is AFMA automatic like D5?
20 megapixels is good enough for me, since I won't shoot small (or any) birds, and would crop very conservatively.
Don't care about DPAF either since it's designed for shooting humans. :)

Upvote 0
I think it has to do with the 1d being the flagship. You want to see higher megapixels and good noise management. This is a 6k dollar rig after all.

This is rather silly. First, as others have said, the idea that there is one true flagship model is a bit flawed - the 1Dx series is for a particular segment of customers. Second, the 1-series hasn't been the highest res of the Canon lineup for over a decade, indeed it's been the lowest or equal lowest resolution of the FF sensors for most of that time. And the idea that the most expensive body must be the best at everything is a pretty simplistic view - some of the price reflects the ruggedness, durability, etc (even if 'best' could be objectively defined; for resolution more is not always thought of as better). As has been said every time a new camera is released, it's all very well chasing spec sheet stats, but that doesn't necessarily make a camera better. Canon's bodies are always criticised on that basis, but then they outperform expectations; Sony has sparkling specs but often with caveats and then people find problems in other areas during use (though this is a simplification and I gather they are getting better in that regard).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0