Canon EOS-1D X Mark III technical white papers released

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I must confess that the more I read about the video and the AF the more I have trouble dispensing with GAS. If I knew something similar to the 1DX3 was relatively imminent in the R line with reasonably higher MPs, the GAS would disappear but traditionally Canon only gives the 1D series the bells and whistles that I've come to love. I really am looking forward to full reviews and sample RAWs, especially when CR folk get their hands on this camera!

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017

Amazon Canada, or that seller, are trying to rid somebody off...
Thing is, if you want to record RAW, 128GB will only last for 6 (!) Minutes.
To realisticaly produce anything in RAW and not having to worry all the time about cards, you need probably 4 cards with 512gb. Which cost 2400€ right now xD
But I guess at this production level where you realy need RAW video, these prices are probably okay. At least its not as overpriced as RED MAGS :-D These cost an insane 1300€ for 480gb :-D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
You are correct and it will be interesting to see what I can do in post when I get mine. But it does give me reason to be optimistic as there are several test photos in low light and ISO >10k that look much better than what I have been able to achieve at lower ISO values.
I really want to believe. If the autofocus and the high ISO deliver close to what has been promised, it will take the sting out of the lower resolution for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The ability to track heads through the evf combined with 16fps and a stop of high ISO improvent would have to involve some sort of meddling in the dark arts surely!! If this is all legit then....... WOW!!!!!. oh. And lets not forget a doubling of battery life.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Going back over the white paper, this sounds very close to what I have been saying I want in autofocus:

Subject Switching — Disable; Enable (slow); Enable Disable: AF points will stay locked on to initial subject, once the AF system has acquired it. In other words, once focus points are upon a subject (or part of a subject), the AF system will strongly resist switching to another subject that may enter the AF array.

If this works like I hope, I should be able to focus on a single player and have the autofocus follow that player across the court or field, even if others get in the way. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Going back over the white paper, this sounds very close to what I have been saying I want in autofocus:

If this works like I hope, I should be able to focus on a single player and have the autofocus follow that player across the court or field, even if others get in the way. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'd say double crossed. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Reading the white paper is quite something, so much has changed, imo the Mk3 is not getting enough credit for the amount of upgrades, even new modes for flash control etc, I feel a whole lot better and more excited about selling my Mk2. All you read is how people keep saying Canon have not done enough, really, have they read the whole white paper....

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
What is it about human nature that seems to come into play so often, and certainly in gear oriented forums? What stands out for me is the tendency to focus on my needs, to pontificate about how important my opinions are. Perhaps, it's ego, given that a forum thread is like a grandstand where I can demonstrate (supposedly) how smart I am and how important I am.

Consider this, what if we were now having to stand before an audience of say 200 people in an auditorium to give our little talk, which would be followed by a question and answer period where the various experts in our field were going to question us.

What's different in this scenario?;)

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0