Canon EOS 3D X [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • traveller said:
    Looks like whoever sent this rumour to Craig also sent it to Keith Cooper over at Northlight Images (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_3d.html) along with some embellishments:

[list type=decimal]
    [*]16 bit RAW
    [*]Dual DIGIC 5+
    [*]"Its a new type of body,looks like a mini 1DX, it has a integrated portrait grip but its a bit thinner and significantly shorter and also lighter (no rear lcd panel)"
traveller said:
Sorry, but (1) and (3), as well as the heat dissipation business sound a lot like b*ll*cks to me. It's a bit soon after the launch of the 1D X and 5D MkIII to start suggesting that their technology is out of date. As for the mini integrated portrait grip, perhaps they've seen the illustrations from NL and added them on to their imaginary spec list?

Naturally, I will be more than please if I am eating my words in a month or so...! ::)[/list]

I think the lack of people talking about bit depth is surprising, I think it should be the main thing to consider, more so than mp. I'd much rather have 16bit version of 5dmkiii than a 14bit higher mp camera. It's the main aspect I'm considering investing in medium format.

I think it's not talked about much because it just won't happen for another generation of canon pro bodies,probably... but like you, I would be more than happy to be wrong!

Upvote 0
J

jsbraby

mememe said:
pdirestajr said:
No Eye-Control Focus????
.... NO never ever again! I say it everytime. Why ppl dont believe me?

Eye control focus is/was the devil. I bought the A2 instead of the A2e to avoid it, and happily turned it off on my EOS-3. Maybe it works for some users, but between my eyes, glasses and the eye control system, my EOS-3 it got the AF point I wanted maybe one time in ten; manually setting the AF point got it right all the time.

Upvote 0
J

jsbraby

cliffwang said:
If the price of 3D X is below 5K, I think I will get one. I take photos for my family, ISO 3200 is good enough for me. High MP will be great for the future when you play the photos on your TV. In 5-10 years, UHDTV will be ready, and you need 30MP(for 4K) to 122MP(for 8K) for your UHDTV.

How do you figure that? 4k resolution is 4096 x 2340 (unless you mean QuadHD, then it's 3840x2160) requiring at most 10 megapixels, and UHD 8k is 7680 × 4320 for about 33.2 megapixels. I regularly mix Canon DSLR stills with 4k RED footage, and have to downsize or crop the stills.

Upvote 0
jsbraby said:
How do you figure that? 4k resolution is 4096 x 2340 (unless you mean QuadHD, then it's 3840x2160) requiring at most 10 megapixels, and UHD 8k is 7680 × 4320 for about 33.2 megapixels. I regularly mix Canon DSLR stills with 4k RED footage, and have to downsize or crop the stills.

You are right. 33MP is for 8K not 4K. I just got bad memory.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:
However this camera turns out, 5D3 owners will be burned.

For what reason? Unless you plan to buy another super computer for 46MP - raw file ;D
I bought a D800, and my fairly powerful PC could not handle editing of the raw files without taking excessive time to render the images. NR or other enhancements were painful. I edited a 500 image shoot, and that was enough for me. I've looked into the latest computers, but there is no major processing power improvements from my first generation i7 to the third one. I need 5X or 10X better for a 40mp raw file that opens to a 200+ MB file once in a editor.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

For what reason? Unless you plan to buy another super computer for 46MP - raw file ;D
I bought a D800, and my fairly powerful PC could not handle editing of the raw files without taking excessive time to render the images. NR or other enhancements were painful. I edited a 500 image shoot, and that was enough for me. I've looked into the latest computers, but there is no major processing power improvements from my first generation i7 to the third one. I need 5X or 10X better for a 40mp raw file that opens to a 200+ MB file once in a editor.

Someone could make some money if would implement RAW manipulation in GPU of the graphics card. Nikon could be the first one :)

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

I don't think CPU power is the issue, more likely you'll get imporvements from more memory.

Upvote 0
tg said:
I think the lack of people talking about bit depth is surprising, I think it should be the main thing to consider, more so than mp. I'd much rather have 16bit version of 5dmkiii than a 14bit higher mp camera. It's the main aspect I'm considering investing in medium format.
There is much debate about the "16-bit myth." From what I've read on the matter, I don't believe that a 16-bit camera would produce any tangible improvement over a 14-bit camera, because those extra bits are not actually doing anything useful, just quantizing noise.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

Sorry to ear that! I have the latest Intel i7 six core processor and works fine with the D800 files. They are a bit longer to process then the 1DX file, but not noticably. If you use Lighroom, did you optimze its settings to leverage the full power of your computer (like your RAM, etc...). I know Adobe have some article on that on their website...

Upvote 0
B

bkorcel

Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

I agree there comes a practical level of data that most people can work with and 40MP is too much for post...for most people. It better have good in camera processing....and what's this? Still a CF and SD combo??? Going to take time to write that image to an SD card!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.