Canon EOS 4D reference in Wifi remote app video

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Freelancer said:
Z said:
As I'm sure has been pointed out before, superstition never stopped Nikon releasing the D4.

yes it´s nonsense most of the time... but westeners repeat it over and over.

nonsense maybe, but i'd take the lack of G13 and G14 as a bit of a pointer...

(still, whatever they call it, I hope it's the big MP body and not as disappointing as the 5D mk2.01 they just released)

Upvote 0
I have another idea - apart from it being a typo.

It could be "Canon EOS ID" as in Identity

it could be a default name for the camera inside the app - like how iPhones and iPods have default names in iTunes that you can change to suit your quirky nature ;)

so yes, I vote that "Canon EOS ID" is a customizable name that you can give to your camera inside the phone app.

Upvote 0

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
I have no idea what the heck that is. It doesn't look like a "4" an "I" or a "1". It just looks whacky! Maybe just a placeholder for an as-yet-unnamed DSLR body? Beats me.

Also, has anyone else noticed that there are TWO status bars in the photo? Clearly some funky photoshop was going on at Canon central. Two clocks, two wifi symbols...

WTF? :eek:

Attachments

• remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,671
Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
It'll be the 4D for sure. Guaranteed. Why? Think about it.

7D - taken
6D - taken
5D - taken
4D - free
3D - misleading. Consumers will think "Dimension" rather than "Digital"
2D - misleading. Consumers will think "Dimension" rather than "Digital"
1D - taken

Of course it could be 8D or 9D, but really would they want to make it look worse from a numbering perspective than the 7D or 6D? No. they have nowhere else to go. 4D it is. Nikon did the right thing IMHO by putting the D in the front - another win to Nikon. (I'm a Canon fan but I call it like it is).

Upvote 0
Gcon said:
Nikon did the right thing IMHO by putting the D in the front - another win to Nikon. (I'm a Canon fan but I call it like it is).

The funny thing is Canon had the D in the front first (D2000, D30, D60), but then moved it to the end starting with the 1D (although the D60 came out just after the 1D).

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
bvukich said:
Gcon said:
Nikon did the right thing IMHO by putting the D in the front - another win to Nikon. (I'm a Canon fan but I call it like it is).

The funny thing is Canon had the D in the front first (D2000, D30, D60), but then moved it to the end starting with the 1D (although the D60 came out just after the 1D).

Yeah, nikon did it first with the F1, F2, F5, F90, etc.
I presume that meant F for F-Mount, but nowadays it's more like F for Film, and the D1 is D for Digital.
Once Canon realised that names like D30 and D60 were going to create problems, they changed it to 1D etc.

Still, I don't buy the "we can't have an EOS 3D because people will think it takes 3Dimensional photos". If you're that stupid to buy a (presumably) $4000 camera just 'thinking' it takes 3D photos, you deserve it. "A fool and his money are soon parted" is the expression i'm thinking of.
But a big MP camera called 2D, why not?

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
But still, 4 in Chinese / Japanese is 四, 'sì' in Mandarin. Death is 死, 'sǐ'.

They've just proven that there will be no G13 or G14 (14, 十四, 'shī sì', sounds like 尸死, 'shī sǐ', 'dead corpse', 逝 shì means die, 弑 shì means 'murder a superior' (yes, I just went through my dictionary and found them)).

While I do doubt that they will use 4 because they want to protect sales from superstitious customers, it's worth mentioning a couple things. For one, while 4 is "shi", in Japanese it can also be read "yon", which lacks the same connotation. Two, even when read as "shi", 4D becomes シディー ("shidii"), which is incredibly close in pronunciation to シーディー ("CD"). Admittedly, naming a camera EOS CD might be even more confusing than 3D, but pick your poison.

As for the screenshot, to me it looks like an upside-down shime (〆), which by itself doesn't mean much.

Upvote 0
thebowtie said:
Chances are - it's a screenshot of a development prototype of the app. It may have had the working name of "4D" and been changed to 6D for release.
Either way, it requires a WiFi connection (which only the 6D has as a built-in feature) - so I think that's the situation.

I will take your theory and put on my tinfoil hat...

/conspiracy mode on

What if this was all just a big ruse to get people talking about the app? I mean its not hard to replace details such as the number in a video, just takes a few mins in after effects.
Or better still the company that made the app purposely put the name 4D in there for another camera then took the video knowing full well that it would raise interest on the net and get people talking about their app.

Because lets face it, before this mystery screen grab/video how many people knew about this app? and how many MORE know about it now?

you decide

/tinfoil hat mode off

But all seriousness i don't know why the new camera couldn't be a 2D. especially if they were to double their current highest MP number. So suddenly we have the new canon 2D 2x the MP* of the Canon 5Dmk3 (*=48MP) .

Or something corny like that.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
China
dr croubie said:
Who wrote that app?
Canon? Or just some guy who works elsewhere?

If canon wrote it, then ok, it's more believable.
But still, 4 in Chinese / Japanese is 四, 'sì' in Mandarin. Death is 死, 'sǐ'.

They've just proven that there will be no G13 or G14 (14, 十四, 'shī sì', sounds like 尸死, 'shī sǐ', 'dead corpse', 逝 shì means die, 弑 shì means 'murder a superior' (yes, I just went through my dictionary and found them)).

In short, they're a superstitious bunch (or at least, they acknowledge that their customers are), there will never be an EOS 4D.
I'm guessing that some other guy wrote the app, and it's a typo, he really meant to write '3D', which will be the kick-ass high-MP camera we're all waiting for :)

YES YES! Most of us Chinese do not like even hate the number 4 'cause it is pronounced as “si”, which means DEATH. Numbers for vehicles contain 4 are mostly disliked. The “4D” pronounced as “死滴" which means the deaths. We prefer number 8 as it sounds like “發", which means big money will hit you! If Canon releases EOS 888D, it will be very good for China marketing.

Upvote 0
xrazor said:
Do you think it is possible that the 6D was original going to be named the 4D. As a step below the 5D.
The demo could of been shot with the 4D name and Canon decided to name it the 6D.

It was always going to be the 6D if naming convention is followed

1D Pro Journalist style
2-4D Needs to be better than the 5D but different market to the 1D (and we have already ruled out the 3D) think High MP Studio camera
5D Pro Landscape/Video
6D Less than a 5D
7D Pro Crop Camera
8-9D Less than a 7D somehow??

The only other thing that it could have been would have been a 70D but obviously Canon decided against that idea.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.