Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/08/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-body-2545/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/08/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-body-2545/">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>via eBay

</strong>BigValueInc (98.2% Approval) is selling the <a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574981434&toolid=10001&campid=5337186548&customid=&icep_item=231032219900&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg" target="_blank">Canon EOS 5D Mark III body for $2545</a> via eBay.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574981434&toolid=10001&campid=5337186548&customid=&icep_item=231032219900&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg" target="_blank">Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $2545</a></strong> (Compare at $3499)</p>
<p><strong>*Please Note

</strong>This sale includes 2 non Canon LP-E6 batteries as well as a non Canon LP-E6 charger. A 32gb SD card and reader are also included.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

You have to be kind of careful with these guys. I bought a 5D3 from them a month ago. It was pulled from a bundle, but included everything AND a US warranty. Completely satisfied!

Then I bought a 16-36 lens from them last week, hoping for the same treatment. It came with European documentation and NO warranty card! Boo. Lens works fine though, so I'll take a chance on it. I've only had one Canon lens die on me in 45 years, so I'm doing well overall.

...Dave

Upvote 0
This is a good price, but most likely no USA warranty. Also, quite likely a white box (not a big deal though). I got mine last year at $2600 after i was lucky to sell well the 24-105L kit lens (full price for the kit was $3500). However, mine was not a grey market and came with USA warranty and as a standard retail package. IMO we might see some official price reduction next year, but atm the best deal is to find a buyer for the kit lens and then purchase a kit from an authorized dealer.

Upvote 0

modenadude

www.flickr.com/modenadude
Jul 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
www.flickr.com
Took me so long to write this that other people have already commented haha

cayenne said:
What's the scoop on this?

Is this a grey market camera? US warranty?

BigValueInc is closed right now (5pm eastern) but the last time they had an auction like this (looks like July 26 when they had 150 items, but I called on July 18 when they also had 150 items) I called in and the person on the other end stated that that item was gray / not Canon USA. Can't say for sure about this one, but anything this inexpensive does not usually have USA warranty. Here's the auction that I called in on July 18th -- notice how it doesn't mention anything about being USA or not, but this current auction that this post is about (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231032219900) says it's "Item is Brand New, USA merchandise." under the Terms and Conditions! So not sure what to make of that!

Checking out BigValueInc's rating on auctions that included a 5D Mark III, it looks like most of the buyers were happy with their purchases, with most giving positive feedback (a couple of the dozens of ratings gave negative feedback on August 5th -- "Incorrect and misleading information. Seller not interested in buyer concern" and "5D mark 3 was NOT new" so take that as what you want them to mean).

There were at least three mentions of warranty in the feedback from the ones I looked at. One came on August 1st (for that July 26 auction) by riccatech and said "Super fast shipping to NY. Item was as described. US Version. A+++" while another on the same date by scubaphoto904 said "Warranty Inflation not properly disclosed nor described". Another interesting feedback comment came from barrybelkin on July 18 for a July 10th auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-22-3MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-/360689883182 that said "As advertised. Registered warranty on line without any problem."

So! Whether it does in fact have a USA warranty? Who knows for sure, since they're closed, and by the time they'll be open, this batch will be sold out (100 or 150 is usually the batch they carry, it looks like).

dhachey77 said:
You have to be kind of careful with these guys. I bought a 5D3 from them a month ago. It was pulled from a bundle, but included everything AND a US warranty. Completely satisfied!

Then I bought a 16-36 lens from them last week, hoping for the same treatment. It came with European documentation and NO warranty card! Boo. Lens works fine though, so I'll take a chance on it. I've only had one Canon lens die on me in 45 years, so I'm doing well overall.

...Dave

Which auction did you buy your 5D from dhachey77? July 10, 18 or 26?

Upvote 0
:mad:
Good evening everyone. I've been coming here for a few years reading and learning a lot, this is my first post. I STRONGLY URGE EVERYONE NOT TO BUY FROM BIGVALUEINC! I like a great deal as much as the next guy but please read what happened to me TODAY!
I purchased the 5D (body only) from Bigvalueinc a little over a week ago, it arrived and appeared to be used. The manuals and a few other accessories had been previously opened, in fact, the manuals did not have the usual sealed plastic around them. The camera would also not hold focus on a still object, it appeared to continuously back focus, at least 75% of the time. I returned it and received a replacement on Friday of last week. That camera also came with a few opened accessory bags and the buttons on the top of the camera all felt very VERY loose and well used.
Here we are at today. I called to set up a return and try one more time. I told the rep I would just place a new order as a means of expediting the shipment of the new camera. He said fine but they could not give me the deal I received a few weeks ago. As ridiculous as that was I pulled up the item and low and behold, it was the great deal they have running today! I showed my excitement, he placed me on hold for a few minutes, while he was gone I kept getting error messages when I clicked Buy Now or Add To Cart. When he came back to the phone he said the manager would make an exception and include the accessories in the camera they ship out a a replacement and I did not have to repurchase, great, right? No! The rep went on to say they would do so only if I revised my initial negative review regarding the first used camera! I asked him why I could not add anything to my cart and he kept playing dumb, saying he had no idea what was wrong. The rep kept asking me to write a revised review while we were on the phone, clearly saying things like 'we will send a replacement if you revise your review'...ridiculous! They sent me a 'review revision request' and a return shipping label.

I emailed them and said I would write the review only after I received the replacement camera and did not appreciate the 'you do this for us and we'll do this for you' approach they were taking. Bigvalueinc emailed me around 5pm today with a phone number they do not list on their page and asked me to call, they clearly did not want this exchange made available to eBay via email. When I called the rep (same guy from earlier today) said the following, "If you revise your original review we will replace the camera and provide the accessories, if you don't I cannot guarantee what the managers will do regarding your replacement." We went around for a while and he denied knowing anything about Bigvalueinc blocking my account from purchases, which they did and I had just finished confirming with an eBay customer service rep before I called.

Bottom line, eBay urged me to open an investigation into Bigvalueinc and they now have concerns about them selling used items. Guess what, nowhere in any of my email and phone exchanges with Bigvalueinc did they ever EVER deny selling used items and tell me I was mistaken!

Lastly, their stuff does not have the US Canon warranty on it, at least not deals like this. If you call their customer service and ask they will tell you something like it has 'our special import item' warranty or some nonsense like that. Look, I purchased 2 lenses from them last year and was perfectly happy with those purchases but this crap today shows they are incredibly small, underhanded and untrustworthy! Spend the extra $400 and buy the camera from other sellers and get the US warranty from an authorized reseller. You can buy the Opteka dual charger for $15 and 3 chipped high capacity batteries on eBay for about $25. That SD card sucks and is not UHS so it really should not be used on a camera like the 5D anyway!
Yeah, you'll pay more than this deal but you know you're dealing with a reputable Canon reseller and not someone who does the unethical crap Bigvalueinc did to me today. So far on eBay the best price I've found from a certified reseller was PMI Digital. No, they are not $2550 but I'm sure I'll be getting the real deal with a US warranty and hopefully way better service!

Email if you have any questions, I'll be happy to respond.

Upvote 0
modenadude said:
Took me so long to write this that other people have already commented haha

cayenne said:
What's the scoop on this?

Is this a grey market camera? US warranty?

BigValueInc is closed right now (5pm eastern) but the last time they had an auction like this (looks like July 26 when they had 150 items, but I called on July 18 when they also had 150 items) I called in and the person on the other end stated that that item was gray / not Canon USA. Can't say for sure about this one, but anything this inexpensive does not usually have USA warranty. Here's the auction that I called in on July 18th -- notice how it doesn't mention anything about being USA or not, but this current auction that this post is about (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231032219900) says it's "Item is Brand New, USA merchandise." under the Terms and Conditions! So not sure what to make of that!

Checking out BigValueInc's rating on auctions that included a 5D Mark III, it looks like most of the buyers were happy with their purchases, with most giving positive feedback (a couple of the dozens of ratings gave negative feedback on August 5th -- "Incorrect and misleading information. Seller not interested in buyer concern" and "5D mark 3 was NOT new" so take that as what you want them to mean).

There were at least three mentions of warranty in the feedback from the ones I looked at. One came on August 1st (for that July 26 auction) by riccatech and said "Super fast shipping to NY. Item was as described. US Version. A+++" while another on the same date by scubaphoto904 said "Warranty Inflation not properly disclosed nor described". Another interesting feedback comment came from barrybelkin on July 18 for a July 10th auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-22-3MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-/360689883182 that said "As advertised. Registered warranty on line without any problem."

So! Whether it does in fact have a USA warranty? Who knows for sure, since they're closed, and by the time they'll be open, this batch will be sold out (100 or 150 is usually the batch they carry, it looks like).

dhachey77 said:

...Dave

Which auction did you buy your 5D from dhachey77? July 10, 18 or 26?

It was the July 10th auction.

Upvote 0
FYI- I don't think the online registration will ever deny you during the registration process. The problem would come in when and if you ever have to have your camera or lens serviced. At first servicing they want a copy of the receipt with the item, that is when they may deny the under warranty service. That my friends, is straight from the mouth of a Canon service representative.

Upvote 0
Last month, I noticed the recommendation of the great 5D MKiii pricing and bought one from BigValueInc for the advertized price of $2545.

The camera was listed as "NEW" in box, but was a kit box that was obviously previously opened. Furthermore, the camera sent to me by BigValueInc had a FAKE SERIAL NUMBER.

The serial was an OBVIOUS FAKE, which did not match either the serial number on the box or the serial on the camera's bios. I have been 'dealing' with BigValueInc ever since trying to get this fraudulent sale resolved.

I'm not happy with either BigValueInc for not honouring their auction, or canonrumors.com for recommending a fraudulent seller.

Upvote 0

modenadude

www.flickr.com/modenadude
Jul 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
www.flickr.com
Mike, I'm sorry to hear about the problem you ran into. But everyone else, please do not judge BVI based on Mike's experience. I just received my 5D Mark III from the August 13th eBay auction today and could not be any happier! Had a wonderful experience, saved $$$$ and received an awesome Canon USA 5D with warranty/registration card with matching serial numbers on box, registration card, camera body and EXIF. NO fakeries whatsoever.

I posted more details on what arrived in the package plus included photos in another thread:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11474.msg303467#msg303467

Thanks Canon Rumors for recommending Big Value Inc! And thanks Big Value Inc for pretty much giving me the extra dough to buy a free L glass :)

For everyone else who had great experiences from the auction and prior auctions from BVI, congrats and enjoy!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.