Canon EOS 5D Mark III Replacement Talk [CR1]

Mac Duderson said:
pwp said:
Just hoping the Mp's don't go over 24Mp
-pw

GOSH I second that!! ;D I remember when the magapixel war became a joke but now they started again and no one bats an eye. But I'm already at 32TB of external drives and don't want to go any further. I have had 4 friends complain when the D800 went 32mp, they didn't realize until their cards packed it in half ways through weddings!
PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low on this thing! :-[
I have been patiently waiting with my 5D2's to upgrade but don't want to shell out for a 1DX2 and was never sold on the 5D3.
I don't get why people say they want high MP's on the 5D4 (X). You want a high mp 5D body? The 5Ds is already out! ;D
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low! I'll buy 2!!! he he! ;D 8)

Just use MRAW, I've been doing it for years and it's nice to be able to go to full RAW when you can expect aggressive cropping.

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany
To march in line with a lot of comments here, based on the founded, completely wholehearted, rumors, I hope for a 1D-X mk II without battery grip relabeled as the 5D mk IV or X, whatever, but with 18 FPS! Because I use that sooo often, and this is why I bought the 5D mk III, but I miss the 18 fps so much :mad:.
and 8K would be nice, although I would never use it, because it's a hell of a data grave and complicated to edit in post. Anyway, I guess my 14 sub YT channel doesn't need 4K or higher yet, does it?

Upvote 0

AWR

Aug 18, 2015
Oh, look so many young Panasonic-boys hanging out on Canon forum. I wonder why.

Anyway, CF vs. CFast is interesting issue.
Magic Lantern can't currently do much more with 5D3, because the hardware limits that the dated CF system has.

I was thinking that it would be great way from Canon to protect their high end models againts Magic Lantern, if they stick with CF, as it would be really hard getting 4K RAW out with CF cards.

But then again, I think it's more of an issue of ergonomics ja image (not the one that counts) that makes small companys buy C300 II rather than much cheaper and probably better, yet trickier Magic Lantern 4K RAW 5D X.

Have to remember that in the film industry many people still avoid RAW shooting, even tough they have everyhing they need in their hands.

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany
Re: Is it real "The Canon 5DX Is Coming"?

It is totally true and there is nothing to say against it. Although it is rumors, it is certain.
The rumor is backed up by the picture, which contradictorily says "5D mk IV" when the title say "5DX".
Else, I have to complement you for opening another thread than the thread on the rumors on the front page about the 5D mk IV, which basically already says it all what you say here, but luckily you gave us the chance to discuss your point here in detail.

Have a very nice day!

Upvote 0
KeithBreazeal said:
I have only three wishes for the 5D III replacement:
1. Better DNR
2. higher frame rate.
3. Ability to do audio annotations.

Keith,

1) I think you can rest assured that the 5D3 replacement will have a better DR, especially in the shadows: Canon was very eager to show this with the 1Dx2 at their demo day this past Thursday and I am quite certain that they will put that tech into the "5D4" as well.
2) My gut feeling is that we will see a modest bump in frame rate (no higher than 8fps).

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
mrsfotografie said:
Just use MRAW, I've been doing it for years and it's nice to be able to go to full RAW when you can expect aggressive cropping.

That's what I thought when the 5Ds was released and I still wonder how quickly the buffer fills when in MRAW, no one answered my original question on that one.

Why not 30mpx RAW 5fps, 20mpx RAW 8fps for the 5DIV.
I think it will be a straight 24mpx and 8fps though and I'm happy.

Improved high ISO noise

I've never used video on any DSLR and have been in the don't care camp but I have to admit I'm intrigued with the idea of playing around with frame grab from 4k, may be rubbish but I'd like to find out.

cfast + SD slot please.
I get how the mixed slots in the 1DX2 could be an issue, pros in a pressure situation and the slots are visibly very similar, that really should have been 2 cfasts. It would be impossible to make that mistake with an SD slot, so as long as the SD is a fast spec I'd rather have the convenience of being able to buy a card just about anywhere if I get caught short.

I really don't want is called a 'cindy' though, draw the line at that one ;D

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
shussainfotos said:
I started my wedding business last year, and to add a second camera in my gears list I was just about to buy another 5d Mark iii a few hours ago. That's when I came across this post. I guess I will just have to wait three months. The wedding season does not start till then anyways.

If its announced in April (Unlikely), then plan on getting one in July, and Lightroom should be updated to handle Raws by August or September. Then third party flash equipment lenses, etc may or may not need updates.

The bottom line is you should not depend on rumors for purchasing decisions where your income is at risk.

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
Makes sense.

I always thought 5DIII successor will have better video features than 1D XII. Demand for video is much higher among 5D series users than 1D series users. With 5D 4/X Canon will try to reclaim the position of the best video oriented DSLR. Canon will make sure that with 5D 4/X 5D series remains the most loved event camera for another 3 or 4 years. I am expecting DPAF, CFast, higher DR, WiFi, GPS, better AF, sub 30 MP and 8 FPS max.

Upvote 0
dgwarmyman said:
As someone who has pre-ordered the 1DX Mark II, I'll probably go crazy if Canon releases the next 5D with improved video features over the upcoming 1DX. For instance, these rumors suggest the 5D might include C-log, which is one key feature missing from the upcoming 1DX. If the aforementioned is true, I really hope Canon adds C-log to the 1DX. There's still time with the first models not slated to ship until April; fingers crossed.

I'd expect a big fw update to the 1DX II down the track to redress the glaring omissions from the camera. The clamour form pros to have C-log, etc will be too loud to ignore.

One way the 1DXII can still differentiate itself from 5DX is that 5DX might only shoot 4K @ 30fps vs 4K @ 60fps.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
pwp said:
Canon, have the guts to do what Apple does. They just don't care risking annoying a million people with things like new proprietary connections, they've been doing this for years.

Taking risks and annoying a million people is how Apple lost the PC market to MS & Intel. Yes, 32 bit processors and a GUI were the future, but people went the cheaper, slower, safer way MS provided them.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
shussainfotos said:
I started my wedding business last year, and to add a second camera in my gears list I was just about to buy another 5d Mark iii a few hours ago. That's when I came across this post. I guess I will just have to wait three months. The wedding season does not start till then anyways.

Do yourself a favor and get a cheap 1DX while you can. Your business needs will be sorted for the next 5 years.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:
Mr Majestyk said:
The 5DX name is indeed correct, but that's all I know about the 5D3 replacement.
How exactly do you know that?

A little birdie told him.

Yes and I said so 2 days before Canon Rumors also heard this. I know a Canon employee testing the replacement and all he would tell me is the name change, they have dropped the mark IV naming.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2011
Well if they indeed are going to change the name to 5DX then it is reasonable to expect an exceptional body. This is the first time in a long time I've been excited about the successor to my trusty 5DIII.

I'm OK with CFast, so long as there is also a fast SD slot. I think 24MP is the sweet spot and that's what I expect it to be. It definitely needs better dynamic range. The camera is a wedding/event camera. That is the segment it sits in so they need to make something that excels at that work. Illuminated AF points! We need them. This is pretty much my only real complaint about the 5DIII.

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
Mr Majestyk said:
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:
Mr Majestyk said:
The 5DX name is indeed correct, but that's all I know about the 5D3 replacement.
How exactly do you know that?

A little birdie told him.

Yes and I said so 2 days before Canon Rumors also heard this. I know a Canon employee testing the replacement and all he would tell me is the name change, they have dropped the mark IV naming.

As DX is likely to stand for action video crossover we can then expect a lower spec cam targeted as less money saturated audience than the 1DX2. Assuming you being right, off course...

Upvote 0