Canon EOS 5D Mark III Replacement Talk [CR1]

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
dgwarmyman said:
As someone who has pre-ordered the 1DX Mark II, I'll probably go crazy if Canon releases the next 5D with improved video features over the upcoming 1DX. For instance, these rumors suggest the 5D might include C-log, which is one key feature missing from the upcoming 1DX. If the aforementioned is true, I really hope Canon adds C-log to the 1DX. There's still time with the first models not slated to ship until April; fingers crossed.
+1
I am with you.
Even though I don't need the C-log, one of my most wanted feature of the C-100 is wide DR and I really don't see any reason for the 1DX II not to have it. I tolerate the lack of C-log and magnify during recording (but that's just me and I support anybody who wants the C-log), however as a run and gun shooter who doesn't have much time for post processing, I think the Wide DR should be there, so that I can put a very usable video profile from the get go. This is now an officially photography+videography gear and should have both photography and videography picture profile.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
pwp said:
As CR states, this is all from a source without a track record so should be read with a grain of salt.

Who cares what it's called...5DX, 5D-MkIV, 5d-Jupiter, 5D-Donut. 8) It's going to be a great camera.

Just hoping the Mp's don't go over 24Mp and if it has to have CFast, make it twin slot. Mixed slots are a darn nuisance. The 1DX was great with twin CF. The 1DXII blew it with CFast & CF. :eek: Why? It's dumb!

Canon, have the guts to do what Apple does. They just don't care risking annoying a million people with things like new proprietory connections, they've been doing this for years. The 12 inch Macbook shipped with just USB-C connection, the next iPhone will likely ship without the familiar 19th century (literally!) headphone jack. But all these initially hard-to-swallow changes pave the way to new superior standards. Just bite the bullet and go twin CFast. Like it or not this is the future so rather than include a design/configuration decision that looks like it's been made by a divided, nervous committee, do an Apple and go twin CFast. If you can't do that then do twin CF.

Historically mixed card slots will be regarded as a quaint, somewhat confused transitionary compromise.

-pw

I feel your pain.
;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
dilbert said:
5DX ... yay! ugh.

What will Canon do when they get to "5DX Mark III"? 5DY? ;) Or "5DU"?

The problem they have with going to "X" is that it is the 3rd last letter in the alphabet, so calling the successor to the 5DX the "5DA" would be ... ugh.

I wonder if the successor to the 80D will be the 10DX?

The only "new" thing in the list of rumors is Canon Log. Everything else (apart from MP count) is "1DXII tech in 5DX."

And price. Where will Canon go with that?

Yes, Canon is as vexed about the X as you are. It would be a 5DX Mark II, Mark III, etc. Y'all are just too hung up on the Mark IV thing.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
pwp said:
As CR states, this is all from a source without a track record so should be read with a grain of salt.

Who cares what it's called...5DX, 5D-MkIV, 5d-Jupiter, 5D-Donut. 8) It's going to be a great camera.

Just hoping the Mp's don't go over 24Mp and if it has to have CFast, make it twin slot. Mixed slots are a darn nuisance. The 1DX was great with twin CF. The 1DXII blew it with CFast & CF. :eek: Why? It's dumb!

Canon, have the guts to do what Apple does. They just don't care risking annoying a million people with things like new proprietory connections, they've been doing this for years. The 12 inch Macbook shipped with just USB-C connection, the next iPhone will likely ship without the familiar 19th century (literally!) headphone jack. But all these initially hard-to-swallow changes pave the way to new superior standards. Just bite the bullet and go twin CFast. Like it or not this is the future so rather than include a design/configuration decision that looks like it's been made by a divided, nervous committee, do an Apple and go twin CFast. If you can't do that then do twin CF.

Historically mixed card slots will be regarded as a quaint, somewhat confused transitionary compromise.

-pw

You are right. It will be a great camera and I hope I can get one someday.

Upvote 0
Bernard said:
shussainfotos said:
I started my wedding business last year, and to add a second camera in my gears list I was just about to buy another 5d Mark iii a few hours ago. That's when I came across this post. I guess I will just have to wait three months. The wedding season does not start till then anyways.

Do yourself a favor and get a cheap 1DX while you can. Your business needs will be sorted for the next 5 years.
The shutter noise 1DX, makes it unsuitable for weddings. There are cases of photographers expelled from the ceremony by the priest.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
midluk said:
How fast could Canon even come out with the 5D4/5DX (assuming they want to and have its design finished), taking into account that the production lines are likely busy with the initial batches of the 1DX2 and 80D?

True. Rumor has it that the Canons only have two production lines and they still have to produce 7D mkII, 70D, all those point and shoots, and the rebel line. It's tough doing all that with just two production lines.

Upvote 0
I'm kind of over the specs wars, a camera is a camera at the end of the day.

Things that interest me are things like HDR video in Canon's T6S for example.

A camera that combines 3 burst shots with bracketed exposure in camera into a single image for example, that is something that would make me excited.

A camera that can take into account the time of day into its metering and white balance system.

Or in-camera fixing of distortion. We already have CA and Vignetting autofixes, why not distortion too.

More AF points or higher resolution, doesn't do much for me. I want a more fundamental change to photography.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I am not really interested in the video expansions. If there isn't a large increase in dynamic range and less noise ISO, the 1DX II autofocus, I'll wait for the next version in another 3 years. An small increase in fps and megapixels would be nice, but not a big deal. The in camera HDR that the 5D mark III has really doesnt perform so if they are going to continue it and improvement in that to more images would be nice.

5D Mark III, 24-70mm F.28L, 70-200mm F.2.8L II, 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L II, 100mm F2.8L, 16-35mm F2.8L II, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.8

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Mac Duderson said:
pwp said:
Just hoping the Mp's don't go over 24Mp
-pw

GOSH I second that!! ;D I remember when the magapixel war became a joke but now they started again and no one bats an eye. But I'm already at 32TB of external drives and don't want to go any further. I have had 4 friends complain when the D800 went 32mp, they didn't realize until their cards packed it in half ways through weddings!
PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low on this thing! :-[
I have been patiently waiting with my 5D2's to upgrade but don't want to shell out for a 1DX2 and was never sold on the 5D3.
I don't get why people say they want high MP's on the 5D4 (X). You want a high mp 5D body? The 5Ds is already out! ;D
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low! I'll buy 2!!! he he! ;D 8)

Remember film? Well today you can 36 exposures (what you got on a roll film) for a $1 or $2. Really what does a few extra cards cost? You can get a 128GB Sandisk Extreme CF (Not Pro version) for $100. 4,000 pictures on it. Buy a CF and SD card, record to both simultaneously to have backup for $180 or so. Don't need to waste time changing cards during an event.

So how much did you spend film for an event? 50 rolls? at $15 for film and processing? $750. Each event. Make a pair of CF and SD cards look darn cheap.

Just remember when you get the cards to verify them. I fill each card 4 times and verify what I wrote. Only then do I trust a card. I do this about once a year. And since NAND gates have lifetimes of 1000s if not 10,000s cycles, this testing does not impact the cards life.

Just my $0.02. If you your business ..

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
neurorx said:
I am not really interested in the video expansions. If there isn't a large increase in dynamic range and less noise ISO, the 1DX II autofocus, I'll wait for the next version in another 3 years. An small increase in fps and megapixels would be nice, but not a big deal. The in camera HDR that the 5D mark III has really doesnt perform so if they are going to continue it and improvement in that to more images would be nice.

5D Mark III, 24-70mm F.28L, 70-200mm F.2.8L II, 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L II, 100mm F2.8L, 16-35mm F2.8L II, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.8

In camera HDR is "fun" but not useful for real work. I like to use it to show it off.

I agree I don't want video but I suspect that video is one of those things that helps sell the camera (more people want it then don't).

Upvote 0
Besides the given improvements expected, I still want to see:
1. GPS
2. Audio annotation

Given that it will be a 5DX, maybe the "X" indicates that it will inherit some of the
capabilities and technology of the 1DX series.
I really like the quiet shutter on my 5DS. If they can get that into the 5DX with a higher frame rate, that would be perfect.
Since Canon has designed a GPS for the metal chassis,(1DX II) I'm hoping for the 5DX to get it.

Upvote 0
I have a 5DMKIII,5DSR, and 7DMKII. I've only shot video on two occasions, for my Girlfriends daughters volleyball recruiting portfolio. That was it. No interest otherwise.

However! The 5D4 must have 4K. No question. There are too many vid folks moving away from the 5D3 to other 4K options. I attended a wedding almost 2 years ago and the crew had already switched to Panasonic for video, with 5D3's for stills.

As for the other stuff? I'm guessing a minimum 28MP, but probably 36MP. CFast? No choice. It will have an improved Dynamic Range, but probably still trail Sony/Nikon. I would like to see higher flash sync, as others have stated. As for increased frame rate, I highly doubt it, perhaps 6/sec max, or the inclusion of a crop mode.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
If rumors are true, the camera is now in production, its a long pipeline from beginning of production to delivery. Specifications are set 2 years in advance, and the features are set in order to meet price goals. For example, Fast FPS needs a high end shutter mechanism, and a processor / memory flow system that can move the data. In the case of 4K, they need to decide on compression, anyone can turn out highly compressed 4k video that is just a joke, but less compression is progressively more expensive.

It all depends on the price point. Components are specified to meet the price.

The firmware is one of the most difficult parts and the final part of the product. Getting all the components to play together smoothly and reliably is very difficult. Firmware for single processors and dual processors can be different, so if its a single processor camera, they cannot completely use firmware from the 1DX II, but its likely 80-95% the same. Some think this means they are suppressing features from the higher end camera, but it can also mean that the hardware will not support a feature in a reliable manner. In some cases, performance can be improved, but the designers follow the roadmap for the features and specifications. Their budgets do not allow for the extensive testing to show that better performance is possible with the hardware. One example is the firmware change to the 5D MK III to allow f/8 AF. Extensive testing was required before they released the firmware update. Users already knew it was possible based on the use of third party TC's, but possible and reliable mean two different things.

A analogy, is a automobile. Its possible to revise the computer hardware to give a engine more horsepower, but at a sacrifice in reliability. The transmission may not last long, the cooling system may be inadequate, the suspension might make the car unsafe, and the engine components, rods, pistons, bearings, are all stressed more and will fail sooner. Every part is designed to perform at a certain level and meet reliability requirements. If a designer wants to change a part of the system, lots of testing is required. That transmission might be fine with 15% more horsepower, a bigger radiator can be installed, and so on until the price jumps as well.

Upvote 0
Nininini said:
[...]
Or in-camera fixing of distortion. We already have CA and Vignetting autofixes, why not distortion too.
[...]

7D mark ii has in camera fixing of distortion. If I remember correctly it can do it just for video which is great for UWA lenses.
There is a good chance that the new 5D model will have it too.

Upvote 0
Very good post and analogy! Reliability for me is much more important than fancy features which may cause a system fail.

Only a few of us have a faint idea about the complexity of a modern camera basically consisting of mechanics, electronics and code which brings mechanics and electronics to life.

I am building a simple level electronics for the hot shoe to help me levelling my old cameras. Connecting a accelerometer sensor to an arduino and read out the values is done in 20 minutes and costs roughly 10 EUR/$ for the hardware incl. a RGB LED as visual indicator. But learning how to detect the level and put this information into a ergonmical display took 10-15 hours. The first 70% of the time I learned that the MPU6050 sensor isn't the best solution for that task. The next step is putting everything together in a (more or less) small housing and add a battery. I think this will swallow another 10-15 hours. The essence: Putting some hardware together is a task of 1 hour, to make a useful SYSTEM of these components is a task of 10, 30 or 50 hours - for the simple system I described.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
[...]

A analogy, is a automobile. Its possible to revise the computer hardware to give a engine more horsepower, but at a sacrifice in reliability. The transmission may not last long, the cooling system may be inadequate, the suspension might make the car unsafe, and the engine components, rods, pistons, bearings, are all stressed more and will fail sooner. Every part is designed to perform at a certain level and meet reliability requirements. If a designer wants to change a part of the system, lots of testing is required. That transmission might be fine with 15% more horsepower, a bigger radiator can be installed, and so on until the price jumps as well.

Upvote 0