Canon EOS 5D Mark III Replacement Talk [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Over the last 48 hours, we’ve seen and heard a lot of talk about the EOS 5D Mark III replacement. Nothing I’ve seen has come from a known source, but I’ll pass it along anyway.</p>
<p>These are direct quotes of what we’ve been told or seen.</p>
<blockquote><p>“Next 5D will be announced around NAB and will be called 5D X. 4k is certain, moderate pixel count and <span class="il">new</span> AF system based on 1D X II. No separate video-orientated version.”</p>
<p>“We have been told Canon upcoming Canon 5D series camera will have Canon <em>Log</em> and Wide DR gamut. [<a href="http://thenewcamera.com/canon-5d-mark-iv-coming-with-4k-and-dualpixel-cmos-af-sensor/" target="_blank">source</a>]”</p>
<p>“The next full frame body from Canon will also move to CFast, along with an SD card slot. Which I assume is for 4K video.”</p>
<p>“The follow-up to the EOS 5D Mark III is already in testing with a select group of photographers and is basically ready for production beyond obvious software tweaks.”</p></blockquote>
<p>Everything above is rated as [CR1] and comes from different places, please treat the information accordingly.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

dilbert said:
5DX ... yay! ugh.

What will Canon do when they get to "5DX Mark III"? 5DY? ;) Or "5DU"?

The problem they have with going to "X" is that it is the 3rd last letter in the alphabet, so calling the successor to the 5DX the "5DA" would be ... ugh.

I wonder if the successor to the 80D will be the 10DX?

The only "new" thing in the list of rumors is Canon Log. Everything else (apart from MP count) is "1DXII tech in 5DX."

And price. Where will Canon go with that?

1dx II's 4k video quality is superb. But seeing that Canon fiercely protects it's higher end video market we will probably see a watered down 4k in the 5dx compared to the 1dx2. And if that turns out to be the case it's sayonara Canon, konnichiwa Panasonic.

Upvote 0
Naming conventions aside I look forward to this happening.

With the inclusion of CFast and hopefully UHS-II bus SD cards I wonder what will be continuous shooting speed and dynamic range of the RAW images.

As it stands these are the drive speeds of all the currently sold bodies using CF cards. From fastest to slowest

Canon

16.0 fps - 1D X Mark II (with CFast)
14.0 fps - 1D X
10.0 fps - 7D Mark II
06.0 fps - 5D Mark III
05.0 fps - 5DS R

Nikon

14.0 fps - D5 (with XQD)
11.0 fps - D4S (with XQD)
07.0 fps - D300S
05.0 fps - D810

I would love to see the 5D Mark III replacement matching the 7D Mark II's 10.0 fps or go even faster.

TBH I wish the transition to CFast 2.0 happened as early with the 7D Mark II in 2014. Followed by the 5DS R in 2015. The 50MP 5DS R would have greatly benefited from the 600MB/s read/write speed of CFast 2.0. It would have been awesome that the 5D Mark III had it in 2012 but CFast 2.0 was released at the end of that year.

The same applies with bodies sold from 2011 should have UHS-II bus SD card slots so read/writes of 312MB/s would have been possible.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
As CR states, this is all from a source without a track record so should be read with a grain of salt.

Who cares what it's called...5DX, 5D-MkIV, 5d-Jupiter, 5D-Donut. 8) It's going to be a great camera.

Just hoping the Mp's don't go over 24Mp and if it has to have CFast, make it twin slot. Mixed slots are a darn nuisance. The 1DX was great with twin CF. The 1DXII blew it with CFast & CF. :eek: Why? It's dumb!

Canon, have the guts to do what Apple does. They just don't care risking annoying a million people with things like new proprietory connections, they've been doing this for years. The 12 inch Macbook shipped with just USB-C connection, the next iPhone will likely ship without the familiar 19th century (literally!) headphone jack. But all these initially hard-to-swallow changes pave the way to new superior standards. Just bite the bullet and go twin CFast. Like it or not this is the future so rather than include a design/configuration decision that looks like it's been made by a divided, nervous committee, do an Apple and go twin CFast. If you can't do that then do twin CF.

Historically mixed card slots will be regarded as a quaint, somewhat confused transitionary compromise.

-pw

Upvote 0
pwp said:
Just hoping the Mp's don't go over 24Mp
-pw

GOSH I second that!! ;D I remember when the magapixel war became a joke but now they started again and no one bats an eye. But I'm already at 32TB of external drives and don't want to go any further. I have had 4 friends complain when the D800 went 32mp, they didn't realize until their cards packed it in half ways through weddings!
PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low on this thing! :-[
I have been patiently waiting with my 5D2's to upgrade but don't want to shell out for a 1DX2 and was never sold on the 5D3.
I don't get why people say they want high MP's on the 5D4 (X). You want a high mp 5D body? The 5Ds is already out! ;D
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low! I'll buy 2!!! he he! ;D 8)

Upvote 0
shussainfotos said:
I started my wedding business last year, and to add a second camera in my gears list I was just about to buy another 5d Mark iii a few hours ago. That's when I came across this post. I guess I will just have to wait three months. The wedding season does not start till then anyways.
TBH I would stick with another 5D Mark III. When the replacement comes out the price of that body will plummet.

Problem with new gear is that you need to relearn how to use it and unless it is a client requirement to have the new body I see no business reason to upgrade to it.

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
LSXPhotog said:
Hmmm, I'll believe it when I see it. But a 5DX that shoots 4K sounds like wishful thinking. I just want 24-32mp sensor with similar technology as the 1DX, 8-10fps, and good AF at -3EV. I have money waiting for this... Haha
Hmm... Keep your money well invested. It seems like Canon cusumers are expected to chose between pixels an DR. Unfortunatly it seems unlikely that Canon are going to sell a fiver that trumps the DX2 in both respects at this time. 20mp for you!?!

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
KeithBreazeal said:
I have only three wishes for the 5D III replacement:
1. Better DNR
2. higher frame rate.
3. Ability to do audio annotations.

What's DNR? Dynamic Range? If so, I agree, and the newer camera should have better dynamic range, and lower ISO noise.

I may add: 1/250 (or even higher) Flash sync speed, and better AF, and maybe even face and eye detection like on Sony A7 series.

Upvote 0
As someone who has pre-ordered the 1DX Mark II, I'll probably go crazy if Canon releases the next 5D with improved video features over the upcoming 1DX. For instance, these rumors suggest the 5D might include C-log, which is one key feature missing from the upcoming 1DX. If the aforementioned is true, I really hope Canon adds C-log to the 1DX. There's still time with the first models not slated to ship until April; fingers crossed.

Upvote 0