Canon EOS 5D Mark III Replacement Talk [CR1]

mb66energy said:
Nininini said:
[...]
Or in-camera fixing of distortion. We already have CA and Vignetting autofixes, why not distortion too.
[...]

7D mark ii has in camera fixing of distortion. If I remember correctly it can do it just for video which is great for UWA lenses.
There is a good chance that the new 5D model will have it too.
I doubt they implement it for stills with the OVF. When doing distortion correction you have to crop some part of the image, which you can preview with an EVF or in live view, but not with an OVF.

Upvote 0
midluk said:
mb66energy said:
Nininini said:
[...]
Or in-camera fixing of distortion. We already have CA and Vignetting autofixes, why not distortion too.
[...]

7D mark ii has in camera fixing of distortion. If I remember correctly it can do it just for video which is great for UWA lenses.
There is a good chance that the new 5D model will have it too.
I doubt they implement it for stills with the OVF. When doing distortion correction you have to crop some part of the image, which you can preview with an EVF or in live view, but not with an OVF.

Good point - haven't thought about that. Perhaps an option for the RAW + JPEG modes?

Upvote 0
CanoKnight said:
On a slightly off topic, I read somewhere that Canon were planning to migrate their camera OS from DRYOS (homegrown) to Android. I don't know if that's true, maybe it will launch with the 5dx (!), but such a transition would make sense.

Hopefully they stay with what they have and maybe invite the Magic Lantern team to codevelop functions and libraries for their cameras.
And I don't think Canon uses the goolazon-OS - it would increase the complexity by vast amounts: a full grown but still sometimes clumsy linux clone serviced by major companies who try to sell others products with very low risk? No.
My grandmother said "You can nail a meat ball on your knee" (german: Man kann sich auch eine Frikadelle ans Knie nageln) - you can but who likes it?

Upvote 0
CanoKnight said:
On a slightly off topic, I read somewhere that Canon were planning to migrate their camera OS from DRYOS (homegrown) to Android. I don't know if that's true, maybe it will launch with the 5dx (!), but such a transition would make sense.

You read that on DPReview on a post by a user with a history of peddling absolute BS. Take it with a big helping of salt.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
I doubt we will see much more than 6 fps. They don´t want this camera to compete with the 1DXII. My bet is 28-30MP, improved low ISO noise and cleaner high ISO noise, improved DR, improved AF and 4k with a little less functionality than the 1DXII.

With an upper fps limit of 16, would a 5DIV capable of 8-10 fps really be threatening? The 5D shutter is only good for 150,000 actuations, 1D is 400,000. They're in entirely different leagues.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
CanoKnight said:

That would be HORRIBLE. My phone fails and has bugs and does wacky things, I want ZERO of that in a camera.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
Eldar said:
I doubt we will see much more than 6 fps. They don´t want this camera to compete with the 1DXII. My bet is 28-30MP, improved low ISO noise and cleaner high ISO noise, improved DR, improved AF and 4k with a little less functionality than the 1DXII.

70D/80D got 7fps, 7D got 8fps, 7D2 got 10fps, how on earth would 8fps compete with 16fps 1DX2?
The fricking 5DS shoots 50MP at 5fps, which in processing power is like 10fps @ 25MP. How come 70D didn't compete or "cannibalize" anything?
Nikon cheap-end FF D610 shoots 24MP at 6fps and that's what Canon should be concerned about. Not self-restricting segmentation and marketing.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Adelino said:
CanoKnight said:

That would be HORRIBLE. My phone fails and has bugs and does wacky things, I want ZERO of that in a camera.

Oh come on. Who doesn't want to do online banking on their camera?

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
Adelino said:
CanoKnight said:

Oh come on. Who doesn't want to do online banking on their camera?

Online banking maybe a little farther down the road. But I can see Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo and YouTube apps being built in.

Upvote 0
CanoKnight said:

Goolge is on my browser, on my smarphone, on my TV, in my car.

Please don't let it get its paws on my camera.

I don't want Android anywhere near my camera. I think Google has enough personal information about people that it doesn need to have access to my camera.

Upvote 0
ecka said:
Eldar said:

70D/80D got 7fps, 7D got 8fps, 7D2 got 10fps, how on earth would 8fps compete with 16fps 1DX2?
The fricking 5DS shoots 50MP at 5fps, which in processing power is like 10fps @ 25MP. How come 70D didn't compete or "cannibalize" anything?
Nikon cheap-end FF D610 shoots 24MP at 6fps and that's what Canon should be concerned about. Not self-restricting segmentation and marketing.
Since you quote me, you may find that I said Not Much More Than 6, meaning not 6, but probably not as much as 10 ...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Nininini said:
CanoKnight said:

Goolge is on my browser, on my smarphone, on my TV, in my car.

Please don't let it get its paws on my camera.

I don't want Android anywhere near my camera. I think Google has enough personal information about people that it doesn need to have access to my camera.
what's your problem? You don't want to have to wait for a response from google when you push the shutter? You don't want automatic downloads of your images to Google servers? sheesh!

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
Eldar said:
ecka said:
Eldar said:

Since you quote me, you may find that I said Not Much More Than 6, meaning not 6, but probably not as much as 10 ...

Well, what's wrong with 10? :)
Extra 2fps is quite a lot actually. I thought "Not Much More Than 6" could mean 6.5fps or 7fps.

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Mac Duderson said:
pwp said:
Just hoping the Mp's don't go over 24Mp
-pw

GOSH I second that!! ;D I remember when the magapixel war became a joke but now they started again and no one bats an eye. But I'm already at 32TB of external drives and don't want to go any further. I have had 4 friends complain when the D800 went 32mp, they didn't realize until their cards packed it in half ways through weddings!
PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low on this thing! :-[
I have been patiently waiting with my 5D2's to upgrade but don't want to shell out for a 1DX2 and was never sold on the 5D3.
I don't get why people say they want high MP's on the 5D4 (X). You want a high mp 5D body? The 5Ds is already out! ;D
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low! I'll buy 2!!! he he! ;D 8)

Remember film? Well today you can 36 exposures (what you got on a roll film) for a $1 or $2. Really what does a few extra cards cost? You can get a 128GB Sandisk Extreme CF (Not Pro version) for $100. 4,000 pictures on it. Buy a CF and SD card, record to both simultaneously to have backup for $180 or so. Don't need to waste time changing cards during an event.

So how much did you spend film for an event? 50 rolls? at $15 for film and processing? $750. Each event. Make a pair of CF and SD cards look darn cheap.

Just remember when you get the cards to verify them. I fill each card 4 times and verify what I wrote. Only then do I trust a card. I do this about once a year. And since NAND gates have lifetimes of 1000s if not 10,000s cycles, this testing does not impact the cards life.

Just my $0.02. If you your business ..

I'm more talking about external drive space not camera card space. I have more then enough for cards but I was referring to storing the Raw files. We store them for 1 year for the client if they need changes and my computer HD is 3tb so everything has to go on tons of external drives. The computer 3tb is already clogged with current shoots so if I went more then 30mp camera I have no idea what I would do. I don't like running LR off of external drives becasue things never seem to go smooth.
I agree storage is cheap but there gets to be a point of too much. I'm at 32TB external and gets a bit annoying organizing from a 3tb internal.

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I'm not a big video user but I will be interested in seeing if they do DCI 4K or UHD 4K in the 5DX. If they are mainly targeting wedding photography, UHD 4K is the better option. That's Canon BS about the DCI allowing you to adjust your UHD crop. The difference is 4096 versus 3940 pixels which, at those resolutions, is not that much width to play with and would be a required crop on every video. As far as I know there are no large screen TVs that do DCI 4K, only some projectors. Whichever they do, the real question is will it be a center crop of the full sensor like the 1DXM2. If it is it gets smaller and smaller in the overall frame as the MPs go up.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
JoeDavid said:
That's Canon BS about the DCI allowing you to adjust your UHD crop.
The difference is 4096 versus 3940 pixels which, at those resolutions,
is not that much width to play with(...)

It's enough for de-shaking in most cases, and DCI 4k is required if you
want to use the camera as source for the big screen.

Upvote 0