Canon EOS 5D Mark III Replacement Talk [CR1]

CanoKnight said:
On a slightly off topic, I read somewhere that Canon were planning to migrate their camera OS from DRYOS (homegrown) to Android. I don't know if that's true, maybe it will launch with the 5dx (!), but such a transition would make sense.

I remember reading that last year and it freaked me out. I hate the software-based systems on most mirrorless cameras and I'll be really disappointed if Canon goes down that route.

Regarding the 5DX claims, I really hope Canon has something close to immediate availability for this camera. Opening pre-orders on the day of announcement with fulfillment beginning two weeks later would be incredible!

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
Mac Duderson said:
RGF said:
Mac Duderson said:
pwp said:
Just hoping the Mp's don't go over 24Mp
-pw

GOSH I second that!! ;D I remember when the magapixel war became a joke but now they started again and no one bats an eye. But I'm already at 32TB of external drives and don't want to go any further. I have had 4 friends complain when the D800 went 32mp, they didn't realize until their cards packed it in half ways through weddings!
PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low on this thing! :-[
I have been patiently waiting with my 5D2's to upgrade but don't want to shell out for a 1DX2 and was never sold on the 5D3.
I don't get why people say they want high MP's on the 5D4 (X). You want a high mp 5D body? The 5Ds is already out! ;D
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low! I'll buy 2!!! he he! ;D 8)

Remember film? Well today you can 36 exposures (what you got on a roll film) for a $1 or $2. Really what does a few extra cards cost? You can get a 128GB Sandisk Extreme CF (Not Pro version) for $100. 4,000 pictures on it. Buy a CF and SD card, record to both simultaneously to have backup for $180 or so. Don't need to waste time changing cards during an event.

So how much did you spend film for an event? 50 rolls? at $15 for film and processing? $750. Each event. Make a pair of CF and SD cards look darn cheap.

Just remember when you get the cards to verify them. I fill each card 4 times and verify what I wrote. Only then do I trust a card. I do this about once a year. And since NAND gates have lifetimes of 1000s if not 10,000s cycles, this testing does not impact the cards life.

Just my $0.02. If you your business ..

I'm more talking about external drive space not camera card space. I have more then enough for cards but I was referring to storing the Raw files. We store them for 1 year for the client if they need changes and my computer HD is 3tb so everything has to go on tons of external drives. The computer 3tb is already clogged with current shoots so if I went more then 30mp camera I have no idea what I would do. I don't like running LR off of external drives becasue things never seem to go smooth.
I agree storage is cheap but there gets to be a point of too much. I'm at 32TB external and gets a bit annoying organizing from a 3tb internal.

Get a second internal HDD? Maybe 6TB?
The need for storage capacity will grow, regardless. Technology will improve, price will go down, everything will be fine :). 32TB is like 16 x 2TB SD cards, no big deal, fits in a pocket. :)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
Over the last 48 hours, we’ve seen and heard a lot of talk about the EOS 5D Mark III replacement. Nothing I’ve seen has come from a known source, but I’ll pass it along anyway.</p>
<p>These are direct quotes of what we’ve been told or seen.</p>
<blockquote><p>“Next 5D will be announced around NAB and will be called 5D X. 4k is certain, moderate pixel count and <span class="il">new</span> AF system based on 1D X II. No separate video-orientated version.”</p>
<p>“We have been told Canon upcoming Canon 5D series camera will have Canon <em>Log</em> and Wide DR gamut. [<a href="http://thenewcamera.com/canon-5d-mark-iv-coming-with-4k-and-dualpixel-cmos-af-sensor/" target="_blank">source</a>]”</p>
<p>“The next full frame body from Canon will also move to CFast, along with an SD card slot. Which I assume is for 4K video.”</p>
<p>“The follow-up to the EOS 5D Mark III is already in testing with a select group of photographers and is basically ready for production beyond obvious software tweaks.”</p></blockquote>
<p>Everything above is rated as [CR1] and comes from different places, please treat the information accordingly.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
If it is going for some unexplained reason to be named 5Dx then it will also probably have a horn to push away Nikon users ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
beardsquad said:
CanoKnight said:
On a slightly off topic, I read somewhere that Canon were planning to migrate their camera OS from DRYOS (homegrown) to Android. I don't know if that's true, maybe it will launch with the 5dx (!), but such a transition would make sense.

You read that on DPReview on a post by a user with a history of peddling absolute BS. Take it with a big helping of salt.

The mere fact that it seems to be started by him is enough to make me want to call BS. Don't take it at all- save your salt for something else. lol

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
RGF said:
Mac Duderson said:
pwp said:
Just hoping the Mp's don't go over 24Mp
-pw

GOSH I second that!! ;D I remember when the magapixel war became a joke but now they started again and no one bats an eye. But I'm already at 32TB of external drives and don't want to go any further. I have had 4 friends complain when the D800 went 32mp, they didn't realize until their cards packed it in half ways through weddings!
PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low on this thing! :-[
I have been patiently waiting with my 5D2's to upgrade but don't want to shell out for a 1DX2 and was never sold on the 5D3.
I don't get why people say they want high MP's on the 5D4 (X). You want a high mp 5D body? The 5Ds is already out! ;D
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Canon keep the mp's low! I'll buy 2!!! he he! ;D 8)

Remember film? Well today you can 36 exposures (what you got on a roll film) for a $1 or $2. Really what does a few extra cards cost? You can get a 128GB Sandisk Extreme CF (Not Pro version) for $100. 4,000 pictures on it. Buy a CF and SD card, record to both simultaneously to have backup for $180 or so. Don't need to waste time changing cards during an event.

So how much did you spend film for an event? 50 rolls? at $15 for film and processing? $750. Each event. Make a pair of CF and SD cards look darn cheap.

Just remember when you get the cards to verify them. I fill each card 4 times and verify what I wrote. Only then do I trust a card. I do this about once a year. And since NAND gates have lifetimes of 1000s if not 10,000s cycles, this testing does not impact the cards life.

Just my $0.02. If you your business ..

Yes I do remember film. Good riddance too!

For most professionals and high volume enthusiast the argument against more megapixels has practically nothing to do with cost of extra cards, pressure on current projects HDD storage and archival HDD storage, it's about volume management and performance. That covers camera performance across high iso, buffer depth, FPS and so on plus the impact on computer performance at the post production stage. 24 Mp maximum please!

-pw

Upvote 0
I'm hoping the 5d3 successor will have between 26 and 28mp. I don't consider the 5DS/5DSR a replacement for the 5D3. Despite the 50MP resolution they have worse noise performance and there is "something" about the image quality I do not like (like taking an APSC sensor and putting too many megapixels in it).

Canon needs to complete with D810 (and its successor) which have 36mp+ so it makes sense to have a modest bump in MP. 22->24MP is too small. 28MP would be ideal (27% more detail).

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
CanoKnight said:

Then Google will know where every shot was taken, time of day, possible in subject matter. Be ready for a new set of advertisements just tailored for you.

Now if they used Apple software, ...

;D

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
ecka said:
Eldar said:
I doubt we will see much more than 6 fps. They don´t want this camera to compete with the 1DXII. My bet is 28-30MP, improved low ISO noise and cleaner high ISO noise, improved DR, improved AF and 4k with a little less functionality than the 1DXII.

70D/80D got 7fps, 7D got 8fps, 7D2 got 10fps, how on earth would 8fps compete with 16fps 1DX2?
The fricking 5DS shoots 50MP at 5fps, which in processing power is like 10fps @ 25MP. How come 70D didn't compete or "cannibalize" anything?
Nikon cheap-end FF D610 shoots 24MP at 6fps and that's what Canon should be concerned about. Not self-restricting segmentation and marketing.

Even 12 FPS wouldn't make a difference.

Upvote 0
pwp said:
For most professionals and high volume enthusiast the argument against more megapixels has practically nothing to do with cost of extra cards, pressure on current projects HDD storage and archival HDD storage, it's about volume management and performance. That covers camera performance across high iso, buffer depth, FPS and so on plus the impact on computer performance at the post production stage. 24 Mp maximum please!

The cost of storage is not in the memory card. It's not in your harddrives. It's in ensuring that your data is safe and secure against user error and technical malfunctions. The cost is in good quality backup and redundancy.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
dilbert said:
My estimate on FPS is like this...

(16*20)/(14*18)*(6*22)/newMPcount

so...

(1DXIIMP/sec)/(1DXMP/sec)*(5DIIIMP/sec)/5DXMP

or the ratio of improvement from 1DX -> 1DXII is a guide for what to expect from 5DIII -> 5DX.
I think
a) If they want to maintain the status quo with the 1D line:
new fps = (6) x (14/12)
= 7.0 fps

b) If they want to create tension between 7D-II vs 5D-next without pressuring the 1D-line:
new fps = (6) x (14x10) / (12x8)
= 8.75 fps

Upvote 0
Re: Is it real "The Canon 5DX Is Coming"?

yli said:
Got something interesting from http://bokeh.digitalrev.com

The Canon 5DX Is Coming
http://bokeh.digitalrev.com/article/the-canon-5dx-is-coming
They added a note:
Update: A previous version of this article was incorrectly sourced and has now been credited to CanonRumors and NewCamera.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I think it's a bit silly to include the 7D Mark II in this, the 5D is going to be a $3,700+ camera, the 7D Mark II is a $1,400 camera right now. I'm pretty confident that Canon would happily sell people a 3,700 camera over a 1,400 camera.

If the 5D has 10 FPS it'll make a great case for itself, while keeping the 1DX mark II 4-6 frames ahead. I'm definitely in the market for a 1DX2 though, even if the 5D has 10 FPS, because I need everything I can get out of my camera and the 1DX2 seems like the perfect match for me.

Upvote 0
I'm taking this lightly as it is only a CR1. As primarily a nature photographer, I am really hoping for a substantial improvement to the next 5D line or there is not much reason to upgrade from my 5DIII. What I'm looking for includes:
• 30+ MP, on-chip ADC sensor
• DR in the 14 range with substantially improved low-light performance.
• Improved AF, although the 5D III AF has always been great.
• 8+ FPS

The rumor forums (this one and those for other brands) have always made me hope for the best, but rarely has Canon or the other manufacturers met my expectations. I am waiting for Canon to deliver a pleasant surprise and deliver a knockout with the next intro.

Upvote 0
I'm currently on the 5diii+5dsr. I will be replacing my 5diii with either the 1dxii or the 5dx. I'm a photographer and videographer, and I need my second Canon body to have the best video options possible to accompany my Ursa Mini 4.6k on shoots, and in a few cases be the A cam. But I also need it to perform with as much DR and clean shadows as possible for photography (surely the 1dxii will trounce in this category) I'm preordered on 1dxii. The sensor looks wildly exciting given Canon's past DR issues. I'm looking forward to 4k60p, and frankly MJPEG file sizes doesn't scare me.

The question will follow here shortly, and videographers, please chime in. These new Digital Rev rumors have really made me question my preorder of the 1dxii over the not yet announce 5dx for the following reasons. Though I'm greatly looking forward to the the amazing new sensor performance (based on the high ISO leaked images from 1dxii about) from the 1dxii, the rumored inclusion of Canon Log and Wide Gamut on the 5dx has really given me pause.

The questions.

1. What are the chances that this rumor of 5dx Canon Log is true? Very exciting but strange addition considering the Cinema line.
2. What are the changes that Canon Log might be added to 1dxii at a later date? Is that even possible?
3. How pliable is MJPEG in post in comparison to Canon Log. 800mbps on 4k60p seems beefy, but I've not worked with MJPEG much.
4. Touchscreen. Man, the tracking on the 1dxii looks really fantastic for putting it on a gimbal to rack focus. If 5dx doesn't have a touch screen, there's the deal breaker right there for me. You think they'll include that?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Upvote 0
dolina said:
Naming conventions aside I look forward to this happening.

With the inclusion of CFast and hopefully UHS-II bus SD cards I wonder what will be continuous shooting speed and dynamic range of the RAW images.

As it stands these are the drive speeds of all the currently sold bodies using CF cards. From fastest to slowest

Canon

16.0 fps - 1D X Mark II (with CFast)
14.0 fps - 1D X
10.0 fps - 7D Mark II
06.0 fps - 5D Mark III
05.0 fps - 5DS R

Nikon

14.0 fps - D5 (with XQD)
11.0 fps - D4S (with XQD)
07.0 fps - D300S
05.0 fps - D810

I would love to see the 5D Mark III replacement matching the 7D Mark II's 10.0 fps or go even faster.

TBH I wish the transition to CFast 2.0 happened as early with the 7D Mark II in 2014. Followed by the 5DS R in 2015. The 50MP 5DS R would have greatly benefited from the 600MB/s read/write speed of CFast 2.0. It would have been awesome that the 5D Mark III had it in 2012 but CFast 2.0 was released at the end of that year.

The same applies with bodies sold from 2011 should have UHS-II bus SD card slots so read/writes of 312MB/s would have been possible.

The 5D series has never been about frame rates. Canon would have you consider their 1D series instead.

As for DR that is a separate issue that I am sure Canon is abundantly aware of .
I wonder if we will see a cute re-interpretation of DR specs instead of dramatic improvement in performance.

I already satisfy my high frame rate appetite with my 20MP Panasonic FZ-1000 at 15fps. ;)

Upvote 0