Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Being Tested by Photographers

CanonFanBoy said:
Diltiazem said:
fallsong said:
unfocused said:
fallsong said:
I am told that it is 28 MP and the shadow noise is still not very good. It has been tested for four months now.

But in overall, it is a good camera.

Since you only have four posts, I'll try not to be mean. But, we frequently see posts like yours which try to give the impression of having some inside knowledge. In order to be credible, you need to explain your source, otherwise it can just appear you are trolling.

Believe it or not is your personal choice. Do you think it is appropriate to disclose the photographers' names to ruin their occupation?

I also have the information on 16-35 III/2.8 too. Having lots of posts doesn't mean credibility.

Please, tell us a bit more then. Like FPS, video capabilities, etc.

This was the conversation between the OP and the "source": "Psst... Hey bud, come here. The 5D IV/X is gonna have 28mp with poor shadow noise."

"Seriously? What else?"

"I won't tell you. Just wanted you to have a taste. Just know it has been in the field and being tested for four months. It's gonna suck, see. Suck I tell ya! Mums the word...err, I mean Sony. Now get away from me kid, you're bothering me."

A Canon Explorer of Light told me the EOS 5D Mark IV will bring the Direct Print Button back again. It won't be customizable, it will only do direct print. It will be bigger than the others, and backlit. Now that's THE FEATURE, the one which will seriously hurt the 1DX II sales. Yay! Who cares about shadow noise, DR, MP, FPS, 4K and all... we'll have a dedicated Direct Print Button again! 8)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
pierlux said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Diltiazem said:
fallsong said:
unfocused said:
fallsong said:
I am told that it is 28 MP and the shadow noise is still not very good. It has been tested for four months now.

But in overall, it is a good camera.

Since you only have four posts, I'll try not to be mean. But, we frequently see posts like yours which try to give the impression of having some inside knowledge. In order to be credible, you need to explain your source, otherwise it can just appear you are trolling.

Believe it or not is your personal choice. Do you think it is appropriate to disclose the photographers' names to ruin their occupation?

I also have the information on 16-35 III/2.8 too. Having lots of posts doesn't mean credibility.

Please, tell us a bit more then. Like FPS, video capabilities, etc.

This was the conversation between the OP and the "source": "Psst... Hey bud, come here. The 5D IV/X is gonna have 28mp with poor shadow noise."

"Seriously? What else?"

"I won't tell you. Just wanted you to have a taste. Just know it has been in the field and being tested for four months. It's gonna suck, see. Suck I tell ya! Mums the word...err, I mean Sony. Now get away from me kid, you're bothering me."

A Canon Explorer of Light told me the EOS 5D Mark IV will bring the Direct Print Button back again. It won't be customizable, it will only do direct print. It will be bigger than the others, and backlit. Now that's THE FEATURE, the one which will seriously hurt the 1DX II sales. Yay! Who cares about shadow noise, DR, MP, FPS, 4K and all... we'll have a dedicated Direct Print Button again! 8)

I print direct from my 1Ds MkIII's, it is a very strong feature and much more capable than most give it time for. I use battery powered Canon Selpy CP printers when shooting travel images so I can give people an actual photograph of themselves.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
I print direct from my 1Ds MkIII's, it is a very strong feature and much more capable than most give it time for. I use battery powered Canon Selpy CP printers when shooting travel images so I can give people an actual photograph of themselves.

I know, some like this feature. Not many, but to someone it's useful. Mine was a semi-serious/semi-sarcastic comment. But, what about removing the card and inserting it in a card reader or straight into the printer? Wouldn't it be more convenient? I admit I don't remember if the old Selphys have a display, but the current ones have it.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Guillaume GLEIZE said:
I know! I know! Mp is not everything!
But for personal use (& reasons) if the 5D4 is under 28Mp: I will go with the 5Dsr
(but would prefer a general camera 5D4 with 28Mp and some other qualities)

PS: By the way, is it definitively 5D4 or may we discover a 5DX?

You never know until they announce, but the CR admin posted that the rumors seem to indicate 5D4 will indeed be the name and not 5DX.

- A

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
unfocused said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Chaitanya said:
...Canon always castrates their cameras to protect "High-end" products.

No they don't. That is a complete myth.

Lots of lower end models get better and more useful features than the flagship or the 5 series or the example between 7D, 70D, 7DII. There's a lot more tech trickling up than trickling down. The 1D series is not the big profit center people think it is.

I get really tired of these claims of "crippling" or in this case "castration" (ouch! -- although if cameras could breed it would be quite something.)

Just what is it that people fail to understand about product differentiation? Of course, one model is not going to have all the features of the more expensive model. To expect that is just silliness. Oh wait...I forgot...these features are free and don't cost anything to add, so Canon is just being greedy by not including every feature on every body.

I agree with you for hardware features, but for software features, not so much. Does not having AEB on every model save Canon that much money? Or the builtin intervalometer the 7d2 has? Or not being able to change the shutter/aperture ratio in P mode using the wheel?

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
koenkooi said:
unfocused said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Chaitanya said:
...Canon always castrates their cameras to protect "High-end" products.

No they don't. That is a complete myth.

Lots of lower end models get better and more useful features than the flagship or the 5 series or the example between 7D, 70D, 7DII. There's a lot more tech trickling up than trickling down. The 1D series is not the big profit center people think it is.

I get really tired of these claims of "crippling" or in this case "castration" (ouch! -- although if cameras could breed it would be quite something.)

Just what is it that people fail to understand about product differentiation? Of course, one model is not going to have all the features of the more expensive model. To expect that is just silliness. Oh wait...I forgot...these features are free and don't cost anything to add, so Canon is just being greedy by not including every feature on every body.

I agree with you for hardware features, but for software features, not so much. Does not having AEB on every model save Canon that much money? Or the builtin intervalometer the 7d2 has? Or not being able to change the shutter/aperture ratio in P mode using the wheel?

They certainly DO want to differentiate their products, also on software features. There are products that are solely differntiated through software features. So nothing to do with costs necessarily, certainly not classical "manufacturing costs".

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2011
romanr74 said:
koenkooi said:

They certainly DO want to differentiate their products, also on software features. There are products that are solely differntiated through software features. So nothing to do with costs necessarily, certainly not classical "manufacturing costs".

There are many things to consider.

The hardware in the various bodies may look similar but it is not the same. Each component needs to be conceived, designed, tested, tweaked, produced, and then supported for a significant period of time. You can't take a mainboard from a 1DX and put it in a 5D3. There may be some components which are the same but the vast majority of them are distinct to each model.

The same goes for software. While I am confident the code is similar it has to be coded for, tested on, and supported for completely different hardware. While Canon surely knows how to make AEB work, there is significant cost involved in developing it for new hardware in every body they produce.

The long term support of features & hardware cannot be ignored. Not only does Canon have to produce the bodies they are going to sell, they have to produce, store, and maintain enough parts to support the fleet of bodies for the next 10 years.

Then there is documentation and customer support including training support staff on each feature on each body...

There is a multitude of extra costs added for every feature that a manufacturer puts into each body, "just software" or not.

Upvote 0

LoneRider

Profession Geek.
Oct 4, 2011
Great state of Texas
kevl said:
The hardware in the various bodies may look similar but it is not the same. Each component needs to be conceived, designed, tested, tweaked, produced, and then supported for a significant period of time. You can't take a mainboard from a 1DX and put it in a 5D3. There may be some components which are the same but the vast majority of them are distinct to each model.

The same goes for software. While I am confident the code is similar it has to be coded for, tested on, and supported for completely different hardware. While Canon surely knows how to make AEB work, there is significant cost involved in developing it for new hardware in every body they produce.

The long term support of features & hardware cannot be ignored. Not only does Canon have to produce the bodies they are going to sell, they have to produce, store, and maintain enough parts to support the fleet of bodies for the next 10 years.

Then there is documentation and customer support including training support staff on each feature on each body...

There is a multitude of extra costs added for every feature that a manufacturer puts into each body, "just software" or not.

If the job is done correctly, then many of these aspects can be placed modules, black boxes as you will. Just as 99% of Windows does not have to be retested on my Dell laptop as your Acer desktop. *IF* Canon has architected their systems correctly, much of the software, and a reasonable amount of the hardware can flow between various models.

It is the ID, the mechanical bits that change. I would suspect the only thing the same between the mirror sub-system between the 80D and the 1DX-ii, is well, they both have mirrors. But yet the firmware that controls the mirrors is probably vastly the same, except for constants.

The best example that I know is Microchip processors, the PIC line of system on chips that are all over the place. Last count, over all of their different processors, they had 3 different ADC converts, 2 or 3 UARTs, and for each SOC, they pick the correct ADC or UART for the part, how many of each, and then place them on the die. Canon should be able to do the same with their firmware.

Again, Industrial Design/Mechanical will change from model to model, but still, concepts will be similar. And some components, like the detent system for function wheels would be the same from model to model.

romanr74 said:

I think what you are going to find, especially since so many of the features are firmware based, between cameras in Canon, you will either have a GPS chip put in or not. But, other than mechanical considerations (ie. where does the antenna go) and marketing considerations, the R&D penalty for adding GPS to a camera, should be, at this point, nothing to Canon.

The marketing department should be able to dial up a camera product spec (with-in known limits) and product development will deliver. The envelope of those current limits is displayed in the 1DX-ii, 80D and 7D-ii.

Let's let that sink in. Their current envelope is the 1DX-ii, 80D, and 7D-ii. I guess I should add, that 120MP beast their showing off. What else do they have lying around??

So, my guess is, the 5Div, has to be a holly grail, wedding monster, that cements Canon as the DSLR to go to. It is the bread and butter. They want to keep dip-sh*ts like me away from Nikon and Sony, and ensure they don't have any defections.

So, for guys like me, they add in GPS and WIFI, maybe show us some 8FPS love, maybe 10 in live view. Drop in full sensor width 4K/60fps, 1K/120fps, anti-flicker, class leading AF, and so on.

The only thing they don't have on the shelf (from the 1DX-ii to 80D) is the full width 4K/60fps. And whoaah, the DIGIC 7 is now out. It is very possible, the DIGIC 7 was not going to be available just in time for the 1DX-ii, but is for the 5D-iv? Who here knows at this point?

But the DIGIC 7 is now out in large quantity, obviously, does it have that scaling engine to pipe to create the full sensor width 4K??

I would also suggest, the 6D and 5DS might be the only 2 big boy DSLRs that do not get DPAF, and you may see the 6D-ii slot in at the 30-36MP, and the 5DS-ii come in around 55-70MP.

So the portrait/landscapers will have midrange (6D-ii) and topend (5DS-ii) to chose from. Where the jack of all will have the 5D-iv (24-28MP), with DPAF.

Anyway, from all that I have learned from the forums, and my own product development knowledge, that is the way I see it. And one thing for certain, all of the mechanical work is complete, all of the molds are done, all of the semiconductors are on production lines, the mirror mechanism is in mass production, the design is complete.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
LoneRider said:

If the job is done correctly, then many of these aspects can be placed modules, black boxes as you will. Just as 99% of Windows does not have to be retested on my Dell laptop as your Acer desktop. *IF* Canon has architected their systems correctly, much of the software, and a reasonable amount of the hardware can flow between various models.
+1 Even Magic Lantern proves your point.

Upvote 0
romanr74 said:
Ripley said:
For God's sake Canon, please vindicate our patience with the 5D IV. If not, I might be gone when the A7R III arrives...

Don't forget to change your avatar once you do that...

Thanks for the reminder. It seems a little dated, doesn't it? :)

AF-Sony.png

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Ripley said:
For God's sake Canon, please vindicate our patience with the 5D IV. If not, I might be gone when the A7R III arrives...

Just curious, do you honestly think it will be a breakthrough / revolutionary product?

At this stage, Canon are nation-builders, not mountain climbers. They consistently make hiqh quality products with modest incremental improvements that sprinkle in really useful tech that other lines will adopt someday. So I'd argue that you don't need to wait to know what's coming*.

I fully expect a fairly vanilla spec sheet (that we've all been talking about) plus a secret-sauce sort of surprise new tech that you are not expecting (a la DPAF, anti-flicker, etc.). If that isn't enough to sate your lust for new/hot/gamechanging/best things, stop waiting. You might want to buy something else that will give you the tech endorphins you crave.

- A

* Unless what you are waiting for is a DXO sensor score. Go buy a Sony right now if that is the euphoria you crave.

To answer your question - no. But, thank you for the irrelevant response anyways.

Upvote 0
Ripley said:
ahsanford said:
Ripley said:

Just curious, do you honestly think it will be a breakthrough / revolutionary product?

At this stage, Canon are nation-builders, not mountain climbers. They consistently make hiqh quality products with modest incremental improvements that sprinkle in really useful tech that other lines will adopt someday. So I'd argue that you don't need to wait to know what's coming*.

I fully expect a fairly vanilla spec sheet (that we've all been talking about) plus a secret-sauce sort of surprise new tech that you are not expecting (a la DPAF, anti-flicker, etc.). If that isn't enough to sate your lust for new/hot/gamechanging/best things, stop waiting. You might want to buy something else that will give you the tech endorphins you crave.

- A

* Unless what you are waiting for is a DXO sensor score. Go buy a Sony right now if that is the euphoria you crave.

To answer your question - no. But, thank you for the irrelevant response anyways.
How was it irrelevant? ahansford was pointing out that we have a pretty good idea what the 5D4 will be based on past behavior. It will probably be an incrementally-improved 5D3, with sensor tech borrowed from the 80D and 1DX2.

Question to you: what, exactly, do you hope to see dread will be absent in the 5D4, that you expect to see in the next Sony?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ripley said:
ahsanford said:
Ripley said:

I fully expect a fairly vanilla spec sheet ... [truncated]
[size=8pt]

So, recapping of the rest of us:

You: "I have been waiting a long time for an unspecified reason. Canon had better deliver what I am waiting for that I have not shared with anyone. If I don't get what I have been waiting for (that I have not told you), I may bolt to Sony. In summary: Anger. Frustration. Mystery. Proclamation. That is all."

Me: "Um, okay. What exactly are you waiting for? We have a pretty good idea what the 5D4 will be. Are those specs good enough for you?"

You: "I'm too busy waiting to be vindicated to share what I am waiting for."

It's called a 'discussion forum', not a 'shout at the world and walk away from it' space.

- A

#manners?

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
Ripley said:
ahsanford said:
Ripley said:

- A

How was it irrelevant? ahansford was pointing out that we have a pretty good idea what the 5D4 will be based on past behavior. It will probably be an incrementally-improved 5D3, with sensor tech borrowed from the 80D and 1DX2.

Question to you: what, exactly, do you hope to see dread will be absent in the 5D4, that you expect to see in the next Sony?

It was irrelevant because I'm not looking for a breakthrough / revolutionary product to satiate my lust for new/hot/gamechanging/best things that will give me the tech endorphins I crave. ::)

I don't dread anything being absent from the 5D4. What A7 feature would one not want in a 5D?

Upvote 0
Ripley said:
Orangutan said:

It was irrelevant because I'm not looking for a breakthrough / revolutionary product to satiate my lust for new/hot/gamechanging/best things that will give me the tech endorphins I crave. ::)

I don't dread anything being absent from the 5D4. What A7 feature would one not want in a 5D?

I'm afraid that doesn't clarify very much. About the only thing the A7 has that's absent in the 5D3 is the Sony sensor; is that what you want in the 5D4? It would be nice to have some LV features like zebras and focus peaking, but aside from that, doesn't the 5D3 kick the tar out of the A7 series? The reports I hear from the A7 are that it works great as a landscape camera, but is not quite ready for general use. There have also been many reports of QA problems, slow service, inadequate function with Canon lenses, etc.

About the only thing I'd want out of the A7 in a 5D4 is the sensor. Have I missed something?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Orangutan said:
Ripley said:

I'm afraid that doesn't clarify very much. About the only thing the A7 has that's absent in the 5D3 is the Sony sensor; is that what you want in the 5D4? It would be nice to have some LV features like zebras and focus peaking, but aside from that, doesn't the 5D3 kick the tar out of the A7 series? The reports I hear from the A7 are that it works great as a landscape camera, but is not quite ready for general use. There have also been many reports of QA problems, slow service, inadequate function with Canon lenses, etc.

About the only thing I'd want out of the A7 in a 5D4 is the sensor. Have I missed something?

+1.

I'd also enjoy a crack at the A7 app ecosystem. That will be useful someday if developers get behind it.

But Orangutan is spot on otherwise.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Orangutan said:
Ripley said:

+1.

I'd also enjoy a crack at the A7 app ecosystem. That will be useful someday if developers get behind it.

But Orangutan is spot on otherwise.

- A

Sensor stabilization would be great. I have a 50mm Art and a 24-70L II that I would love to use for hand-held video.

Upvote 0