Canon EOS 5D X Chatter Continues [CR0]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Sharlin said:
...as far as I can see Canon wants to brand its highest-end offerings with an X. ...

Canon came up the 1DX moniker because they were merging two 1D camera models into a single body and they needed to avoid confusion and signify that it was an entirely new thing. So far, the only other "x" has been on the G series, where they seem to have gone crazy with "X's," sticking an "X" on everything from the top of the line G camera to the cheapest model.

I don't think anyone can or should predict how or why Canon might decide to stick an "X" on a particular body.

Upvote 0
eosuser1234 said:
First APS-C from Canon shooting 4k will most likely be the EOS-M Pro version whatever it will be called. They would be foolish to wait for a 7DmIII to release.
It should been the 80D.

If Canon was smart and included CFast + UHS-II bus SD cards in the 7D Mark II we could have had 4K resolution video in 2014.

Upvote 0

AWR

Aug 18, 2015
LetTheRightLensIn said:
It would be sort of foolish to protect 1DX class video as those beasts bring along lots of expensive stuff that a video shooter won't need and that even many video+stills shooters won't really need or even want (the bulk and weight).

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha "bulk and weight" aahahhahahahahahhahahahaha

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
scottkinfw said:
Can they do 36 MP, keep frame rate at 7 or 8, improve low light/DR in this body and have 4K plus other new "stuff"? Seems unlikely to me unless they have some revolutionary sensor and pipes to get it done. I may be wrong as I'm not tech literate, but for what I can tell, seems unlikely, as it would best the 1DXII in a number of specs. I'f Im wrong, please teach me.

Thanks.

sek

Could they or really would they. A huge reason the 5DS didnt have fast frame rates was highly in part to the new mirror mechanism design, this is also why the 80D did not get a FPS bump this go around as well. Plus Canon will not make the cameras compete with their own products. Its counter productive. They may bump it to 6FPS. But that would only be becuase the mirror vibration would be less and not soften the images, unlike the 5DS & R.

A lot of people are fixed on just the sensor and the fps of the camera. But there is a lot of other stuff that manufactures can improve on that will also improve image quality and user experience.

Upvote 0
BigAntTVProductions said:
scyrene said:
Dual Digic 6+at least

Given we don't really know what DIGIC numbers mean, this is odd. You just want it to be able to do the stuff you want. Who cares what processor(s) it uses?
how about u just mind your business and stop judging peoples comments and keep it moving

LOL I don't think you understand how forums work if that's your attitude... :p

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
RickWagoner said:
CanonFanBoy said:
docsmith said:
AWR said:
CanonFanBoy said:
RickWagoner said:
It may come soon as NAB or will be put off until later this year if Canon is playing catch up on preorder or dealer stock of the 1dx2, they don't want the next 5D to hurt the first burst of 1dx2 sales like the 5d3 hurt the 1dx last time.

Um, the 1DX was released 13 months later than the 5D Mark III. Please tell us how the 5D III release in March of 2012 hurt the sales of the 1DX released in April of 2013. Also, how do you know it hurt sales at all?

If your ear is planted so firmly to the ground then why not just leak the 5DX specs to us all now? ::)
Maybe you should check your info about the announcing and releasing dates.

1Dx was announced October of 2011 and released Q2 of 2012. 5DIII was announced and released March 2012.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1D_X
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III

Rick was correct.

Yup, he is correct. I was looking at the 1DC date.

However, that still does not answer the question at hand. Where is the data to prove that the release dates of the 1DX and 5D Mark III hurt each other in any way? There isn't any. It's just speculation.

the data as in what sale numbers? or everyones knowledge the quick release hurt the 1dx? it noway is speculation actually a long known fact...is this your first rodeo?

This may very well be my first rodeo. I'm asking for the data. You say it is a well known fact. Who established the fact? Did Canon? Was there some study as to why a person bought camera X over camera Y because of either camera's release date? Or is it just anecdotal evidence from forum posts? You made the statement. I'm asking how you came to that conclusion. You said, "...or everyone's knowledge the quick release hurt the 1DX." I'm part of "everyone" and had no idea. So I am asking you, how do we know this? You seem perturbed that someone wants to know where you got the info. If you ain't got it then you ain't got it. If you do have it then where can we find it? Just saying it happened doesn't mean it did... no matter who your "connections" are. I have no idea who you are in the industry or what your inside information connections to Canon are, Rick. Should I?

This is sort of like claiming that drinking broccoli and wheat grass smoothies will add three years to your life. How do we know that if we don't know how many years the person would have lived without the smoothie first?

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
rs said:
expatinasia said:
squarebox said:
I wonder if they are staying away from the number four because of it being unlucky in Japan and meaning death, hence the X instead of mk4.

Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious here.

Just to clarify this. The number four does not mean death, the word "shi" which is Japanese for four ("see" in Thai, "sei" in Cantonese "suh" in Mandarin) just sounds like the word for death.

Across Asia many buildings will not have a fourth floor. Some do, some don't depending on the owner and his/her beliefs.

The west have similar habits. Pretty much every airplane I've ever been on doesn't have a row numbered 13. It's precisely what I need - a plane relying on a blend of science and superstition to remain airborne.

Really? I can't find one that doesn't.

http://www.seatguru.com/findseatmap/findseatmap.php

I think maybe he meant building floor, and not aircraft row / seat.

I've seen the 13th floor omitted quite frequently. I think there is even a movie called the 13th floor.

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
Sharlin said:
bdunbar79 said:
I don't understand the "X" in this name? Is it the 10th generation 5-series? Is it the merging of two lines?

I presume "X" is supposed to mean "professional". 5D3 was already in many ways a much more pro offering than the previous 5D models, and now they're re-branding the product line to reflect that.

Why would X mean professional? The 1Dx doesn't have the X because it means professional. Why would that be true with a 5Dx?

Isn't it possible that Canon needed one letter more in ther "EOS number+D+version"-scheme to reduce confusion? They had the 1DS I-III with FF and the 1D I-IV with APS-H. Some customers could be confused by that. What is the better cam, the higher roman number or the big S?
Maybe they use the X to seperate the X-line from the S-line. S for studio(?), X for variability, like the X in math (f(x)=x^2+C...).
They did the same with the 1DC and 1DX, there is a 5DS, why not an 5DX? BTW, i wouldn't be surprised when we will see a new 1DS IV with 100MP...

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
lightthief said:
bdunbar79 said:
Why would X mean professional? The 1Dx doesn't have the X because it means professional. Why would that be true with a 5Dx?

Isn't it possible that Canon needed one letter more in ther "EOS number+D+version"-scheme to reduce confusion? They had the 1DS I-III with FF and the 1D I-IV with APS-H. Some customers could be confused by that. What is the better cam, the higher roman number or the big S?
Maybe they use the X to seperate the X-line from the S-line. S for studio(?), X for variability, like the X in math (f(x)=x^2+C...).
They did the same with the 1DC and 1DX, there is a 5DS, why not an 5DX? BTW, i wouldn't be surprised when we will see a new 1DS IV with 100MP...

The 1DX was the result of combining two 1D lines. The 5D3 was one half of the result of splitting the 5D line - 5D and 5D2 were Canon's enthusiast/prosumer full-frame offering and 5D3 was a clear step to the pro direction and not a direct successor for 5D2. The other half of this splitting is, of course, the 6D. Thus it's arguable that the 5D3 was already misnamed and Canon wants to rectify the situation now. If we do get a 5DX then Canon's professional fullframe bodies, and only those, bear the X moniker.

Upvote 0
I'm an Asian and I guess I can share my view for the name 5D Mark IV,
most people would know people speak Cantonese would like to mix Chinese/English,
5D IV would be the way we will say, if we say it half English/half Chinese,
it sounds like to tell someone "Go to Die Quickly"

And yes, most of the modern building in China/HK/Macao will skip 4/14/24/34/44.......th floor,
this is kind of like western believe "13" is an unlucky number.

Upvote 0

DCP

Nov 5, 2015
scyrene said:
Dual Digic 6+at least

Given we don't really know what DIGIC numbers mean, this is odd. You just want it to be able to do the stuff you want. Who cares what processor(s) it uses?
how about u just mind your business and stop judging peoples comments and keep it moving

As I see it, the DIGIC numbers just mean generations, the higher the number the newer and supposedly more advanced, nothing more to read into it that that.

Upvote 0
frankchn said:
............... I do think if they include the on-chip ADC and make it 24 to 28 MP at 8 fps or so it will be quite popular.

You are obviously thinking rationally...

Question is, why the heck would Canon do that? Haven't they been bitten already by the bad Karma from the glory days of the 5Dc, 5d2 and 7D? I mean Canon are no fools, why would want to revolutionize the DSLR world again? haven't they learnt from making wildly popular, revolutionary products that gained them a lot of market share years ago?

Since the 5d2/7d1, what we have gotten are sensible evolutionary products that are reliable, and work for a lot of folks.

Making trend setting products, is so 2000's... who cares about gaining market share when you are already top dog...

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2011
LetTheRightLensIn said:
kevl said:
They know that while there is a segment of their customers who need to have video for some work that DSLRs are just no longer the right tool for the job. Mirrorless is a superior tool for a lot of reasons that just putting an amazing sensor in a DSLR could never trump. So why should Canon chase customers who aren't going to buy their products anyway?

Why is mirrorless superior for that other than the mirrorless makers have bothered to deliver more? What is a DLSR in video mode/live view mode but mirrorless? At that point there is no mirror.

Pretty sure I noted about flying the camera in rigs in that comment. If I didn't I meant to.

A smaller lighter package is what mirrorless offers which DSLR simply cannot touch. If you have the budget to fly heavier hardware then the DSLR doesn't make sense either. There are much better larger options.

DSLR had a moment in the video creation segment, but that moment is largely over. It's good to have video in a DSLR but it doesn't make sense to base your video business on DSLR hardware.

You can put large enough engines in a F4 Phantom to make it fly, but it is still just a flying brick. Yes you can do video with DSLR, but it will be more expensive, more difficult, and the end result will not be as good as if you do it with mirrorless or with pro-video equipment. It just isn't the right tool any more because better tools have come on the scene.

Hense... Canon aggressively chasing that segment of the market just doesn't make sense for them as a company. Their products need video, but they don't need to be the video solution.

Upvote 0