Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Press Release

Jan 29, 2011
Re: Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Press Release

LetTheRightLensIn said:
But could they honestly release a camera with 2007 video, 5fps max (when Nikon gets to 7fps in crop), 2007 level low ISO DR (which is so far 2 parts WORSE than the 5D3 and one part equal) and simply double the MP count and that is all she has to offer?

I mean really then, compared to the 5D3 it would offer: worse for SNR, worse for fps, worse for video, the same for DR and the only thing better is a doubled MP count??

Of course they could, and for those that are what Canon believe are the target market none of your bullet points are worth a damn.

If I wanted 50MP files for the product and studio work I do then it would suit me fine, fps, video, and low iso DR are irrelevant as they are all plenty good enough already. If I was a pro landscaper printing big then again the specs are fine, I'd just use my normal techniques and have much bigger files. If I wanted a 'crop mode' I'd get a 7D MkII as it would do the entire job much better anyway. If I wanted video then I'd probably not be using my studio camera for it anyway............

Upvote 0

jrista said:
As far as I know, Canon has been calling their sensors "wide dynamic range" for a very long time:

http://www.canon.com/technology/canon_tech/explanation/35mm.html

I think you're right. I seem to remember them referring to one of the recent bodies (either 7DII or 70D) as having "wide dynamic range".

My guesses, in order of my estimate of probability are these:

1. Canon sensor, some improvement in dynamic range, but nothing earth-shattering.
2. Canon sensor, significant improvement in dynamic range (maybe with something like PureClassA reminded us: http://www.slrlounge.com/patent-basis-canons-rumored-new-sensors-2015/)
3. Sony sensor, Sony dynamic range.

Cautiously hopeful that it's something new and impressive, despite probabilities...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

LetTheRightLensIn said:
privatebydesign said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
But could they honestly release a camera with 2007 video, 5fps max (when Nikon gets to 7fps in crop), 2007 level low ISO DR (which is so far 2 parts WORSE than the 5D3 and one part equal) and simply double the MP count and that is all she has to offer?

I mean really then, compared to the 5D3 it would offer: worse for SNR, worse for fps, worse for video, the same for DR and the only thing better is a doubled MP count??

Of course they could, and for those that are what Canon believe are the target market none of your bullet points are worth a damn.

If I wanted 50MP files for the product and studio work I do then it would suit me fine, fps, video, and low iso DR are irrelevant as they are all plenty good enough already. If I was a pro landscaper printing big then again the specs are fine, I'd just use my normal techniques and have much bigger files. If I wanted a 'crop mode' I'd get a 7D MkII as it would do the entire job much better anyway. If I wanted video then I'd probably not be using my studio camera for it anyway............

of course

It could $6000, 1fps, 36MP, 6 stops DR and SNR worse than the 20D and you'd say the same.

If it does what it supposed to do, rather than what you expect it to do, then yes.

Look these new cameras, the 5DS and 5DS R, are not 5D MkIII replacements, they are nothing to do with the 5D MkIII and 5D MkIV either, they are different tools that are more finely tuned for different users. They are not intended to be the best general purpose camera ever made, which I firmly believe at this point the 5D MkIII is, they are refinements of that Canon 5D marque to widen their appeal to a very nuanced clientele.

I think the unfortunate thing about the route Canon has taken is we will get no end of utter garbage about how this 5D can't do what that 5D can with no regard for the fact that that isn't what it is designed to do or sold as doing.

The 5D MkIV will be the 5D MkIII replacement, it will need 'better' everything than the 5D MkIII. The 5DS and 5DS R are 1DS MkIII replacements for the kinds of people that used to drop $7,000 on a 135 format camera. For those people a pair of 5DS/5DS R's make a lot of sense, they already get 'better' everything (that is important to them) even with the seemingly modest improvements talked about.

There will never be a camera that has the best of everything in it, there can't be. We now have a split 5D line as we used to have a split 1 series line. People never bitched about why the 1D couldn't do what the 1DS could or visa versa, get used to the new family and the split feature set.

Upvote 0

Just a mini-rant -

Can everyone else be happy that some of us photographers who primarily do landscape work now have a camera that does what we would like it to do?

Some of us were rather bummed that the 5D3 did not have all the resolution and dynamic range that we had hoped for. But we got by. We even endured the Nikon exodus knowing our glass was worth the patience. Now (we think we have) something for our 100 ISO, Mirror Up, Remote Shutter boring lives that can produce no-compromise 30" 300 DPI color-optimized CFA high DR images for our customers. When I am up at 4 am to be on a dawn shoot, that is what I want - something that might get us closer to the $36000 Phase One or 8x10 Large Format film scanned cams used by Las Vegas Strip gallery pros (closer, no, not equal, but competitive enough)

This is not your next gen 5D4. That comes in the fall by best accounts. I hope we can bash about ISO and FPS and 4K Video and WiFi and GPS and Pop-up Flash then. I know, a boring WPPI at the MGM. And maybe a punt on a higher FPS sports season. Or a lack of cooler Vimeos. But we landscapers have been waiting a long time.

/rant (and with a smile!)

Upvote 0

Arkarch said:
Can everyone else be happy that some of us photographers who primarily do landscape work now have a camera that does what we would like it to do?

No, they can not.

They didn't get what they wanted in a camera and they have to vent.

Just enjoy that some of us did get what we wanted.

I suggest you ignore it and be ready to hit the pre-order in a few hours.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Arkarch, I think I said the same thing in a different way. Roll on the people who can get the very best out of these new cameras, it isn't for me or my market at this point, but I can well see the people who do want it.

Funnily enough for the occasional uses I could get out of them I could do without AF too, I always MF with the 17TS-E (duh!) and the 100 L Macro when I do product work, can you imagine the backlash if it had no AF? Yet I would guess that for the target market AF is next to useless.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
Arkarch, I think I said the same thing in a different way. Roll on the people who can get the very best out of these new cameras, it isn't for me or my market at this point, but I can well see the people who do want it.

Funnily enough for the occasional uses I could get out of them I could do without AF too, I always MF with the 17TS-E (duh!) and the 100 L Macro when I do product work, can you imagine the backlash if it had no AF? Yet I would guess that for the target market AF is next to useless.

I would have taken a high mp body years ago, with no AF, no extra features, it would have only had to shoot raw format, it only had to save in the largest format, it could have only shoot a frame a second and no video. I would have made it my landscape camera and would have been very happy.

However only a few of us would have bought it.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:

Thanks, and yes I picked up on your take a bit.

I agree on AF - most all my landscape shooting (and as you can see by the healthy dose of MF-only lenses in the footer) is Manual Focus. I need that control.

But I will take advantage of AF for my Motorsports work - nothing like a rocketship focus with a 300 / 2.8 II. In fact, I expect some fabulous deep-cropping with this machine - take the 300 + the TC 2.0 on a 8688 x 5792 canvas and well.. magic!

Upvote 0

takesome1 said:
Availability June according to B&H

They have them up.

Revised Specs from the B&H site, too:

50.6MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors
3.2" 1,040K-Dot ClearView II LCD Monitor
Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps
61-Point High Density Reticular AF
150,000-Pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor
ISO 100-6400; 5.0 fps Burst Shooting
Anti-Flicker Compensation
User-Selectable Shutter Release Time Lag
Dual Compact Flash and SD Media Slots

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119026-REG/canon_0581c002_eos_5ds_dslr_camera.html

EDIT: Some other interesting points from the B&H product description:

- Dual CF & SD media slots.
- Intelligent Viewfinder II with the ability to display custom info either beside or overlaid on the viewfinder image (including grid lines, level, camera settings, etc...)
- 3.2" LCD has 1040k-dot resolution and 170º viewing angle.
- USB 3.0.
- No onboard Wifi. They mention that wifi is only available through the usb slot with the Canon WFT-E7.
- Time Release lag setting delays the shutter until mirror vibrations have subsided.

-

Upvote 0

takesome1 said:
Adorama has more detail in specs

Do a search for 5Ds R, for some reason 5Ds returns a blank screen.

Thanks - actually the BH specs page is pretty robust.

I heard news of a 50MP Sony release... it would be interesting to see if the resolution specs line up.

Upvote 0

Arkarch said:
takesome1 said:
Adorama has more detail in specs

Do a search for 5Ds R, for some reason 5Ds returns a blank screen.

Thanks - actually the BH specs page is pretty robust.

I heard news of a 50MP Sony release... it would be interesting to see if the resolution specs line up.

It's pretty clearly not a Sony sensor. DPReview is claiming similar RAW dynamic range as in the 5D3.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
Look these new cameras, the 5DS and 5DS R, are not 5D MkIII replacements, they are nothing to do with the 5D MkIII and 5D MkIV either, they are different tools that are more finely tuned for different users. They are not intended to be the best general purpose camera ever made, which I firmly believe at this point the 5D MkIII is, they are refinements of that Canon 5D marque to widen their appeal to a very nuanced clientele.

I think the unfortunate thing about the route Canon has taken is we will get no end of utter garbage about how this 5D can't do what that 5D can with no regard for the fact that that isn't what it is designed to do or sold as doing.

The 5D MkIV will be the 5D MkIII replacement, it will need 'better' everything than the 5D MkIII. The 5DS and 5DS R are 1DS MkIII replacements for the kinds of people that used to drop $7,000 on a 135 format camera. For those people a pair of 5DS/5DS R's make a lot of sense, they already get 'better' everything (that is important to them) even with the seemingly modest improvements talked about.

There will never be a camera that has the best of everything in it, there can't be. We now have a split 5D line as we used to have a split 1 series line. People never bitched about why the 1D couldn't do what the 1DS could or visa versa, get used to the new family and the split feature set.

Well said.

Upvote 0

Famateur said:
privatebydesign said:

Well said.

Fully agree.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

mrsfotografie said:
Famateur said:
privatebydesign said:

Well said.

Fully agree.

And I'll add "NAILED IT" to that chain

Upvote 0