Canon EOS 6D Listed as Discontinued at Amazon UK

unfocused said:
Maiaibing said:
Khalai said:
To be fair, 6D was announced, when 5D3 was already on the shelves and selling like hotcakes...

Interesting. There are to my knowledge are no Canon sales figures or statements to suggest that 5D3 sales were healthy. But since you seem to have such info both I and I am sure many others would be very interested if you can share on what you base the claim that the 5D3 was "selling like hotcakes".

The most commonly quoted source are the Amazon best selling DSLR rankings.

Predictably, someone will say the Amazon list is not valid. But they will not be able to produce any comparable ranking.

I can certainly do a lot better than Amazon rankings (which are in fact not in line with global sales): Canon's own financial statements - rock solid facts, not guesswork - say that 2012 and 2013 Canon sales went into a double digit pecentage nose dive - hardly compatible with a 5DIII selling like "hotcakes". Canon has also stated (for 2013) that it specifically was the 70D that kept their high end DSLR-market going (and thus for sure not the 5DIII).

None of this says anything specific about 5DIII-sales for 2012. However, it does not suggest 5DIII selling like "hotcakes" - a claim which you obviously cannot substantiate - as to be expected.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Maiaibing said:
6D is an amazing value option for Canon shooters and underlines how little an "upgrade" the 5DIII was.
Maybe it was a 'little upgrade' if all you ever shoot is static subjects at base ISO with the camera on a tripod...but that means you're in a tiny minority of dSLR buyers to which Canon doesn't really need to pay attention.

1) Agree that little or big is subjective
2) I shot mostly fast moving subjects - and a lot of these under very difficult lighting circumstances. Here the 5DIII offered me virtually nothing over my 5DII's after extensive testing of the 5DIII on fast moving subjects in low light. Maybe I'm just really good at maximising the AF of the 5DII or the 5DIII is only marginally better. The end result for me was clear: not worth it. YMMV
3) DSLR owners are already a tiny minority of photographers and Canon's sales are faling like a rock - so I think they need to pay attention to every customer they have left.

Upvote 0
cosmopotter said:
A little more fuel for the fire - Nikon has lowered the price of the 610

http://www.cameraegg.org/hot-price-drop-nikon-d610-for-1696-d7100-for-946/

Nikon USA has finally drop the price of new Nikon D610 and Nikon D7100. The Nikon D610 body only now $1,696.95, and Nikon D7100 Body Only now $946.95.

The Nikon D610 is dropping the price because is a cheap consumer camera. I returned my D600 due to dust and oil on the sensor and the D610 is just Nikon doing damage control. I bought a 6D and never looked back. I very happy with my Canon and the IQ of the 6D.

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
I can certainly do a lot better than Amazon rankings (which are in fact not in line with global sales): Canon's own financial statements - rock solid facts, not guesswork - say that 2012 and 2013 Canon sales went into a double digit pecentage nose dive - hardly compatible with a 5DIII selling like "hotcakes". Canon has also stated (for 2013) that it specifically was the 70D that kept their high end DSLR-market going (and thus for sure not the 5DIII).

None of this says anything specific about 5DIII-sales for 2012. However, it does not suggest 5DIII selling like "hotcakes" - a claim which you obviously cannot substantiate - as to be expected.

Where did you learn to read a financial statement?

Let's begin by remembering earthquakes, tsunami and nuclear meltdown, and how they affected both Japan's and the global economy. You can read more details of these events and global impact elsewhere. Despite these events, let's move on to Canon's financial statements, where we evaluate results in an attempt at trying to figure out how your "rock solid facts, not guesswork... [blah blah] ...double digit pecentage nose dive" pans out.

In 2012 net sales decreased by 2.2%. (I suppose there are two digits, I'll give you some benefit here.)

"Within the Imaging System Business Unit, unit sales of interchangeable-lens digital cameras increased thanks
to the competitively priced EOS Rebel series along with the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 60D advanced-amateur models. "

In 2013 net sales increased by 7.2%

"Within the Imaging System Business Unit, interchangeable-lens digital cameras maintained their top market
share despite the challenging environment, which was marked by a drop in demand in Europe and China due
to the economic downturn, although demand in Japan continued to expand. In particular, the EOS 5D Mark III
and 70D advanced-amateur-model digital SLR cameras continued to realize healthy growth. "

Neither quote was necessary, I just threw them in for fun. Both are from Canon's financial statements, located here http://www.canon.com/ir/results/

Another reference, probably easier absorb, is a comparison of 2012 sales by Canon and leading competitors.
https://fstoppers.com/other/examining-fiscal-year-2012-sales-olympus-sony-nikon-and-canon-3401

"Canon reported that “the advanced-amateur models, EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 60D, as well as the entry-level EOS Rebel series drove sales beyond the previous year’s level both in volume and value terms.” They also reiterated their stranglehold on shipping the most interchangeable-lens digital cameras."

While specific unit sales aren't forthcoming from these companies you have to have been living under a rock the last few years to have missed the popularity of Canon's 5D series. Maybe you can share your references. I'm interested in a Canon quote on the 70D's impact in 2012 and 2013 revenue and how it "kept their high end DSLR-market going", in particular because it wasn't introduced until July 2013, and it's a mid-level camera and not high end.

"I can certainly do a lot better". Indeed.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
cosmopotter said:
A little more fuel for the fire - Nikon has lowered the price of the 610

http://www.cameraegg.org/hot-price-drop-nikon-d610-for-1696-d7100-for-946/

Nikon USA has finally drop the price of new Nikon D610 and Nikon D7100. The Nikon D610 body only now $1,696.95, and Nikon D7100 Body Only now $946.95.
Right, so Nikon's entry level full-frame now matches the price of Canon's (6D is $1699 most places right now). Makes sense to me. That Nikon's dropped that far already despite being a year newer (technically) is probably not great for their margins.

That said, its a great sign for the 6DII or D620, they may well end up <$1500 in a few years if prices keep pushing down

Upvote 0
Nethawk said:
Maiaibing said:

Where did you learn to read a financial statement?

Let's begin by remembering earthquakes, tsunami and nuclear meltdown, and how they affected both Japan's and the global economy. (...)

In 2012 net sales decreased by 2.2%. (I suppose there are two digits, I'll give you some benefit here.)

"Within the Imaging System Business Unit, unit sales of interchangeable-lens digital cameras increased thanks
to the competitively priced EOS Rebel series along with the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 60D advanced-amateur models. "

In 2013 net sales increased by 7.2%

I not only lived there but also had some business with Canon at the time of the Tsunami. So I know a lot more than most about what happened and not least its impact on Japan and its business environment. But that's an aside.

The only one who has no clue about financial statements is you. You write about the sales of Canon's imaging division. The camera division is only a part of this division and their net sales do not tell us anything about the sudden drop in Canon DSLR sales.

This is in fact what is known and Canon has publically stated - in connection with its earnings warnings - on its DSLR sales from 2012 to 2013 and 2013 to 2014:
2012: 9,2 mio units
2013: 8,0 mio units
2014: 7,0 mio units

That's gives 12/13 -13% and 13/14 -12%.

Upvote 0
cosmopotter said:
Cameraegg is reporting that Amazon UK has listed the 6D as discontinued. I really hope it's true as I want to buy a 6D but would prefer an upgraded version (as per other discussions). Could Canon be fast tracking this project to respond to the flurry of new Nikon full frame models? One can only hope.

http://www.cameraegg.org/canon-eos-6d-listed-as-discontinued-at-amazon-uk/

Even if the only change they make is modern autofocus I would be satisfied but a few more upgrades would be better.

My wish list:
DPAF
At least 19 cross type AF points (50 would be better)
Flip out touchscreen
2 card slots

Essentially a 70D with full frame and some tweaks

You don't need a flip screen if you allow remote control of the camera via wifi. That's a trade I'm willing to accept. And it doesn't even need to be a touch screen either. Fuji allows full remote control via wifi including AF points via their app.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
JawZ said:
You don't need a flip screen if you allow remote control of the camera via wifi.

IMO, swivel screens are most useful when tilted vertically for capturing low-angle and high-angle shots, not spun around for selfies (shots where you're in front of the lens). In that usage, Wi-Fi doesn't work very well.

Upvote 0
JawZ said:
cosmopotter said:
Cameraegg is reporting that Amazon UK has listed the 6D as discontinued. I really hope it's true as I want to buy a 6D but would prefer an upgraded version (as per other discussions). Could Canon be fast tracking this project to respond to the flurry of new Nikon full frame models? One can only hope.

Even if the only change they make is modern autofocus I would be satisfied but a few more upgrades would be better.

My wish list:
DPAF
At least 19 cross type AF points (50 would be better)
Flip out touchscreen
2 card slots

Essentially a 70D with full frame and some tweaks

You don't need a flip screen if you allow remote control of the camera via wifi. That's a trade I'm willing to accept. And it doesn't even need to be a touch screen either. Fuji allows full remote control via wifi including AF points via their app.

Power On
Flip/Twist Screen
Hit Live-View
Bend Knees & Position Camera with Arms

Without exaggerating, these manoeuvres can be implemented in less than a second by somebody with a basic idea of where the camera's buttons & switches are and a good pair of knees!

Despite having a 70D right here I've yet to try out Canon's WiFi features but... but I'm pretty sure nobody needs me to finish this thought!

Upvote 0