Canon EOS 6D Mark II Has Begun Shipping

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Pax2You said:
Imaging resource had an update on the status of their review saying first shots from a retail unit were posted, but I don't see them
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-6d-mark-ii/canon-6d-mark-iiA.HTM

They indicate it was a pre-production model and it was only JPGs... was hoping some forum members might have a raw or two from their production models. Something like a sunny day (high contrast), some low light stuff etc. I tend to recover a lot of shadows and curious to see how it behaves (band shots in dim bars, heavy movement in low light). oh and some high iso in lowish light like 3200 and 6400 :)

I have the 80d and after learning the differences (quite surprised how images process so differently) it was a nice improvement over my 7d.. but wondering if the 6d mkii would improve enough to go for it. A full frame would remove the crop telephoto factor (tend to be close) and full frame supposedly does better in low light.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting for the 6DmII to upgrade to FF coming from a 60D. I'm more than happy with all the features (yes, even with the tightly packed AF points) but I'm curious about the DR. I never lift shadows by 5ev, so this kind of comments are irrelevant to me, but can someone tell me if I'd be able to do better with the pictures I'm attaching?

These were taken with a 60D last month. The light comes from the sun near sunset, with no clouds and no modifiers or reflectors. Unfortunately when I tried to lift the shadows on the left part of the face by more than 1.5ev, or so, I started seeing patchy noise. As a matter of fact, you can see some noise in what I'm attaching already. I did the lifting by producing two versions (+0ev and +1.5ev) of the image in Canon's DPP4 and did the blending in GIMP using masks. The crops are at full resolution (the pp is rotated by 2 degrees too).

Attachments

• sunset_sdfi.jpg
    sunset_sdfi.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,481
  • sunset_sdfi_lifted.jpg
    sunset_sdfi_lifted.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,505
  • sunset_crop.jpg
    sunset_crop.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,503
  • sunset_crop_lifted.jpg
    sunset_crop_lifted.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,495
Upvote 0
bc29 said:
jmoya said:
So I guess there's no way around it. If I want to edit in lightroom with the 6d mark II I nee to buy the latest lightroom CC? My canon 5d III was doing just fine on lightroom 5 non CC version. There's the other hiccup. I was so upset yesterday getting the new camera in and not being to import files to see them for post.

Adobe updated their website to indicate the 6D mk II is supported in their standalone Lightroom 6, if updated to version 6.12.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Thanks BC29. i just downloaded the latest lightroom. I'm now playing with some of the shots I took yesterday. I shot some at 6400 during the afternoon hours and pulled out the shadows in some trees. maybe 1 stop and theres was plenty of noise. Not impressed. I'll be doing some more and maybe a youtube video over the weekend.

The upgrade from any prior Lightroom version to Lightroom 6 should be USD $79.

Upvote 0
bc29 said:
jmoya said:
So I guess there's no way around it. If I want to edit in lightroom with the 6d mark II I nee to buy the latest lightroom CC? My canon 5d III was doing just fine on lightroom 5 non CC version. There's the other hiccup. I was so upset yesterday getting the new camera in and not being to import files to see them for post.

Adobe updated their website to indicate the 6D mk II is supported in their standalone Lightroom 6, if updated to version 6.12.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html
So I just bought lightroom 6. Files still don't work. Now I need to update it to 6.12.?

The upgrade from any prior Lightroom version to Lightroom 6 should be USD $79.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
anthonyd said:
I've been waiting for the 6DmII to upgrade to FF coming from a 60D. I'm more than happy with all the features (yes, even with the tightly packed AF points) but I'm curious about the DR. I never lift shadows by 5ev, so this kind of comments are irrelevant to me, but can someone tell me if I'd be able to do better with the pictures I'm attaching?

These were taken with a 60D last month. The light comes from the sun near sunset, with no clouds and no modifiers or reflectors. Unfortunately when I tried to lift the shadows on the left part of the face by more than 1.5ev, or so, I started seeing patchy noise. As a matter of fact, you can see some noise in what I'm attaching already. I did the lifting by producing two versions (+0ev and +1.5ev) of the image in Canon's DPP4 and did the blending in GIMP using masks. The crops are at full resolution (the pp is rotated by 2 degrees too).

That's a great photo! It may benefit from processing as pretty much any picture, but the subject is already "cuteness overloaded" :) I wouldn't worry much about noise - that's such a negligible thing... If you post the RAW here I bet some folks can process it for you.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
My camera shop got in their initial shipment of 6D2 today and I picked mine up.

What can I say? It's pretty much exactly what I expected, and it will be perfect for what I need for studio work and fantastic for non-professional hobby use as a versatile, full frame camera that nicely complements my 80D.

I took some test shots with a 24-70 f/4 -- which is going to be on it a lot -- and I love the output, benchmarks be damned one way or the other. High ISO photos are pleasing, on the relative scale of things, though my high ISO photography is nearly nonexistant. The build quality is fantastic, like pretty much every Canon DSLR, and the ergonomics are great -- the 6D2 feels really good in the hand, and the smaller than 5D size is nice. Like other modern Canon DSLRs, there's a very pleasing organization of controls, with just the right amount of tactile feedback and an overall satisfying feel to snapping photos.

Funny thing, by default, it has the guide UI (or whatever it's called) enabled, so when you change exposure modes it tells you, hey, you're in Shutter Priority -- you can go this way to freeze the waterfall, or this way for it to appear flowing! Really? There are people who buy a FF camera who don't understand how exposure modes work? Scary!

The camera comes with an inch thick "booklet" that's titled "Basic Instruction Manual"; I'd hate to see the Advanced one. There's a strap, battery, charger, and warranty card. No CD or USB cables. Enough empty space in the box to stuff in several more 6D2s :p

For me, it's pretty much Christmas in July. Very happy with purchase.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
anthonyd said:

Yes the 6D MkII would do 'better'.

There will never be any getting around the simple physics of the thing, a ff sensor is more the 2.5 times the size of a Canon APS sensor, that gives you over one stop of noise performance in every shot.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Talys said:
Funny thing, by default, it has the guide UI (or whatever it's called) enabled, so when you change exposure modes it tells you, hey, you're in Shutter Priority -- you can go this way to freeze the waterfall, or this way for it to appear flowing! Really? There are people who buy a FF camera who don't understand how exposure modes work? Scary!

I'm a regular atendee of a certain landscape photographers meeting and workshop. One time, there came a guy, who had brand new 5D III with 24-105/4L and 70-200/4L IS, all wrapped in boxes. His first humble request was - how do I mount the lens and how do I take photos? Go figure :)

Fortunately after two years, he's a regular as well and proficient user, who takes nice imagery. So yeah, UI guide is definitely helpful for some :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Is there any way to get Windows thumbnails of 6D2 RAW files to display?

DPP works with latest version
Photoshop works with ACR 9.12 update
Lightroom works when updated

Not sure what makes Windows (file explorer) thumbnails to display CR2 contents anymore. It used to be a Codec pack, but all my RAW files have worked without installing anything since Win10.

Upvote 0
Talys said:

The camera comes with an inch thick "booklet" that's titled "Basic Instruction Manual"; I'd hate to see the Advanced one.

It's sorta funny to see these two statements juxtaposed. :) There are people for whom the Guide UI will be the manual, and the information is less a bout the photographic instruction part and more about "this is what this control does". Remember that the labels and icons on the buttons aren't exactly intuitive, and there are people who, for whatever reason, will skip crop bodies and go straight to FF, or may get this when they switch to Canon.

Also remember, this will still be the case in a few years, when the price has dropped. If the 6D2 gets down to $1200, for a lot of people that's a tolerable price to toss in the cart when they have a kid, or get a dog, or just want a new hobby.

Upvote 0
anthonyd said:

Well, look at this article: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3416153698/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range

There is a test picture in which you can add as much ev as you wish and compare alot of different camera models. While 60D isn't in there, there is the 70D. I just tried the 70D vs 6Dii vs Sony A7rii all with +2ev, and you can see a step up in each of them (in this order). So while you might never use +5ev, the advantage of the sony sensors is on every +ev level. Wheter that matters too you, you will have to decide yourself!

Attachments

• DR test pic.jpg
    DR test pic.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 203
Upvote 0
Takingshots said:
Folks at Canon esp. public relation dept needs to address some of the concerns to ease the anxiety to those who have waited and want to upgrade 6DMKii. This is the right thing to do. ... Put the concerns to rest > what can be fixed or upgraded and what cannot be done because of the specifications(limits).

I have a theory, well to be honest it's more of a wish than a theory.

Imagine if say during mid 2018 Canon brought out a FF Mirrorless camera with a curved sensor and a bunch of prime lenses that were compatible with this new camera. IF that were to happen then bringing out the 6D Mark ii with improved autofocus but a not much improved sensor MIGHT make sense because you would have the following line up:

7D Mark ii (or even Mark iii) for top of the range APS-C with top of the range autofocus capabilities.
6D Mark ii for entry level FF with good autofocus and OK image quality.
Curved Sensor FF Mirrorless for entry level FF with OK autofocus and excellent image quality (and maybe 4k.)
5D Mark iv for professional level does everything FF
5DS R Mark i (or even Mark ii) for professional level FF with top of the range image quality.

Like I say it's just a theory but I can't imagine that Canon didn't notice the 6D Mark ii sensor wasn't a big step forward so it does make you think (hope) there is a bigger strategy.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Confused Man said:
Takingshots said:
Folks at Canon esp. public relation dept needs to address some of the concerns to ease the anxiety to those who have waited and want to upgrade 6DMKii. This is the right thing to do. ... Put the concerns to rest > what can be fixed or upgraded and what cannot be done because of the specifications(limits).

Imagine if say during mid 2018 Canon brought out a FF Mirrorless camera with a curved sensor and a bunch of prime lenses that were compatible with this new camera. IF that were to happen then bringing out the 6D Mark ii with improved autofocus but a not much improved sensor MIGHT make sense because you would have the following line up:

7D Mark ii (or even Mark iii) for top of the range APS-C with top of the range autofocus capabilities.
Curved Sensor FF Mirrorless for entry level FF with OK autofocus and excellent image quality (and maybe 4k.)
5DS R Mark i (or even Mark ii) for professional level FF with top of the range image quality.

Like I say it's just a theory but I can't imagine that Canon didn't notice the 6D Mark ii sensor wasn't a big step forward so it does make you think (hope) there is a bigger strategy.

I have another theory for you. Canon does not believe anything needs to be fixed. Their market research showed that the main features the users wanted to improve on the 6D II were AF and a tilt screen. Their market research showed them that they needed to price the camera as low as possible - definitely under $2,000. Their market research told them that users were completely satisfied (and even more) with the 6D IQ. Their market research showed them that photographers that don't pixel peep had no issues with noise. Their market research showed them that a real photographer doesn't underexpose from 3 to 5 stops, so that type of information is irrelevant. In other words, there should be no anxiety from potential buyers as this camera meets their needs as best as possible at it's price point.

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
Confused Man said:
Takingshots said:

I have another theory for you. Canon does not believe anything needs to be fixed. Their market research showed that the main features the users wanted to improve on the 6D II were AF and a tilt screen. Their market research showed them that they needed to price the camera as low as possible - definitely under $2,000. Their market research told them that users were completely satisfied (and even more) with the 6D IQ. Their market research showed them that photographers that don't pixel peep had no issues with noise. Their market research showed them that a real photographer doesn't underexpose from 3 to 5 stops, so that type of information is irrelevant. In other words, there should be no anxiety from potential buyers as this camera meets their needs as best as possible at it's price point.

Good theory and no doubt the most accurate theory.

As a potential buyer of this camera I just wish they had paid a little bit more to the market research company so that the research company could have also asked the question "If our new entry level FF camera has Dynamic Range that is less than one of our cheaper APS-C cameras would you still be interested in buying our new camera."

Anyway the good thing to come from all this is that it has made me realise how good my 7D Mark ii is (with truly excellent autofocus capabilities & apparently the same DR as its new FF cousin) and instead of worrying about moving to FF I should focus on getting the correct lenses that satisfy my APS-C requirements.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
One thing that's pretty obvious but still seems to be overlooked by some is this. Telephoto users like reach and so APSC gets acknowledged in that department. Well, wide angle users like wide angles and APSC doesn't fill that bill too well. Two cameras of course does the trick but I for one prefer only hiking with one; that's heavy enough and less clumsy.

Jack

Upvote 0