Canon EOS 6D Mark II Talk [CR1]

infared said:
So ....I do not have a smart phone (I have a wireless phone...but not web, etc.). I like to be where I am, not acting out my addiction in public. :)) To each his own. But ...i am dumb about this stuff....You sound like the right guy to ask...so...could you help me out here. If the camera has an Android OS...that will exclude mac users from utilizing there phones, iPads, etc. for remote control..etc. ...and obviously the whole menu system would change, too. Is that correct?
I am a Mack guy....(no iPhone, though)....but this would be a very foreign menu to me ...right?
Thanks for the help.

No, I do not think any Android device (in this case a Camera) would make it impossible to be remote controlled through an iPhone or iPad. There's nothing inherent to Android that prevents it from 'talking' to other operating systems. It's just a matter of writing the appropriate software to allow this communication. Even if Canon would chose the Android path, they would still have good reasons to allow remote controlling from Apple devices.

Regarding the menu system, yes, if they switched operating systems the menus would most likely change instantly as a consequence...

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I know I am in the minority but I would like to see more scene modes, more like a 70d or even a Rebel. I am not a pro shooter but I do want a full frame camera. NO WAY to Android that would cause all sorts of problems. Bump ups in all major specs , 24mp, better high ISO, better low ISO noise, better DYNAMIC RANGE please. more focus points. Or maybe I am asking for a sun 6D for us non pro full frame wanters :)

Upvote 0
I keep hearing people talk about potential durability issues with the articulating screen. Three points:

#1) This is the 6D. It's an "entry level" camera and not meant for rugged use.

#2) I hear the complaints from people who don't use articulating screens on Canon bodies. From people who DO use them, the comments are pretty much unanimous in praise for long-term durability and practicality for shooting in awkward positions or angles. Having now had three bodies with articulating screens and none failing so far (knock on wood) through pouring rain, desert sand, coastal salt spray, snowboarding wipe-outs -- even blood and hair from boning out an elk by myself -- and just about everything in between. Even skeptics, once they use it, find the articulating screen quite helpful.

#3) If you don't want it, leave it folded up, screen out. Then it's just like a fixed screen in terms of wear/breakage risk.

Two things kept me from getting the 6D: Scarce focus points and no articulating screen. When those two things are addressed, I won't even wait for a sale on Amazon!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
General thoughts:

Android: No. OS fragmentation, background power sucking, etc. are not a good idea for tool that needs to be reliable/stable/consistent, and it's a massive step away from Canon calling the shots menu/organization-wise. Canon's menus aren't sexy and that's why I love them. They are intelligently designed, efficient, and photographer-workflow oriented.

Tilt/Swivel: In these prosumer product lines (like the 70D, let's say), Canon is hosed as the user base straddles two different opinions here. So make a decision either way and p--- off half the market. You will never convince a non-swiveler that it is as robust as a solid/integral screen, and you will never convince a swiveler that a solid screen is best. Canon should consider making the LCD modular and removable (like a cartridge) so that you can you go solid/integral, swap out for a swivel LCD, etc.

-5 EV and +1.5 stops higher ISO seem unreasonable improvements for Canon, esp. for this price point. I'm not buying this part of the rumor.

DPAF in Canon's entry-level FF rig? I thought it was supposed to be stripped down to keep the entry cost lower. Not buying this either. DPAF will go to the 5D and 1D lines, but not the 6D I think.

All in all, there is far far far too much new in this rumor for it to be taken seriously on aggregate.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
General thoughts:

Android: No. OS fragmentation, background power sucking, etc. are not a good idea for tool that needs to be reliable/stable/consistent, and it's a massive step away from Canon calling the shots menu/organization-wise. Canon's menus aren't sexy and that's why I love them. They are intelligently designed, efficient, and photographer-workflow oriented.

Tilt/Swivel: In these prosumer product lines (like the 70D, let's say), Canon is hosed as the user base straddles two different opinions here. So make a decision either way and p--- off half the market. You will never convince a non-swiveler that it is as robust as a solid/integral screen, and you will never convince a swiveler that a solid screen is best. Canon should consider making the LCD modular and removable (like a cartridge) so that you can you go solid/integral, swap out for a swivel LCD, etc.

-5 EV and +1.5 stops higher ISO seem unreasonable improvements for Canon, esp. for this price point. I'm not buying this part of the rumor.

DPAF in Canon's entry-level FF rig? I thought it was supposed to be stripped down to keep the entry cost lower. Not buying this either. DPAF will go to the 5D and 1D lines, but not the 6D I think.

All in all, there is far far far too much new in this rumor for it to be taken seriously on aggregate.

- A

The non-swivellers are like those who complain that their camera has video.
Let's face it, a swivel is really useful.
An added benefit of the swivel not mentioned here is that you can flip the swivel so the LCD is protected. No chance of scratching it or breaking it in a bag etc when it is closed up. And you can use the camera with the LCD closed up, like old-school film.
The durability argument is pure nonsense on this line. Swivel or no swivel, it's not a durable camera ... go get a 5D3.

PS ... I have a 5D3 too ... and I wish it had a swivel.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
General thoughts:

- A

Could -5 EV and 1.5 stops higher ISO refer to the 1DXII? Or is it just wishlist of someone...?

Upvote 0
I'm still holding out hope for some kind of Hybrid Viewfinder (part optical, part EVF). It would be amazing to shoot using an optical finder while having Histogram information on the side.

Well it looks like we can say goodbye to the partial magnesium body of the 6D and expect a fully PC body like the 70d. That's fine as long as it is lighter and smaller with decent weather sealing/robustness. A 10% reduction in weight and size along with a good Sony like sensor along with a Hybrid Optical/EVF viewfinder is a compelling reason to not jump onto the mirrorless bandwagon.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Etienne said:
Let's face, a swivel is really useful.
An added benefit of the swivel not mentioned here is that you can flip the swivel so the LCD is protected. No chance of scratching it or breaking it in a bag etc when it is closed up. And you can use the camera with the LCD closed up, like old-school film.
The durability argument is pure nonsense on this line. Swivel or no swivel, it's not a durable camera ... go get a 5D3.

I don't disagree with what you said, but this is not an argument you win with logic. Swivel vs. Non-Swivel is right up there with using UV/Clear filters to protect your lens vs. shooting with naked front elements. There are two camps who will not budge. That's that.

Canon needs to step up and be a leader with this market preference pain-point and let photographers choose the LCD they want and change them out with a universal and secure cartridge-like mount:

• Have it come with the solid/integral non-touchscreen module for the base body cost.
  • Pay an extra $100 at time of purchase and it will instead be kitted with a swivel, touchscreen, or swivel+touchscreen module -- whatever you prefer
  • Buy more than one module for different needs at a nice markup for Canon. Need to record video down low? Grab a swivel module. Working in the arctic? Grab a solid/integral module. Also, FF owners who love their rig no longer need to drop down to a crappier body just to get a swivel. They would gladly, gladly pay $300-400 for that. Canon profits and the user is elated at the same time.
  • A modular mount then would open up the door to third party LCDs, perhaps letterboxed for video, perhaps oversized to view histo and the shot side by side -- the possibilities are endless.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
General thoughts:

You do have a point here, although i don't think battery sucking is as bad as you say. It'll be worse than current DSLR's, but still better than any mirrorless.

The real reason i don't think android works is because there is no implementation of android that doesn't take a long time to boot up upon power cycles. So if you take out your battery, you have to do a full boot cycle upon reinsertion. To maintain the OS, it will drain the battery as well. Although without using wifi too much, the bast should last all day long.

ahsanford said:
I don't agree here, the 6D is not a workhorse camera like the 5Dmk3(4). It's for prosumers that want full frame, and shoot non-critical photography. They might use it professionally, but not in an intense environment. I've never damaged any of my swivel screens, and it was nice to use in live view, video shooting, and to see over crowds.
ahsanford said:
Fully agree here, -5ev would require some unseen and spectacular technology, that's a significant improvement over anything else offered.

ahsanford said:

I think prosumers need live view focus, which is why it's in the rebel series. I'm not sure they need DPAF like the 70D or 7dMKii, but certainly could uses PDAF pixels on the sensor like the T6i/s.

Upvote 0
pedro said:
ahsanford said:
General thoughts:

- A

Could -5 EV and 1.5 stops higher ISO refer to the 1DXII? Or is it just wishlist of someone...?

6D's current max ISO is 102,400
102,400 x 1.5 = 153,600. It will be Noisy as crap but that's Marketing for you. I would expect the ISO performance to be on par to current competitors in this segment which is about 1/3 stop better performance.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Etienne said:
ahsanford said:
General thoughts:

- A

+1!

I was going to mention this exact point. I believe that the damage you are most likely to suffer on the LCD is from abrasions and not from impact.

With articulating bodies I tend to be extra cautious with the LCD folded out. With non-articulating LCDs I don't think twice about the LCD and so might be more careless and have ended up with scratches. At least with the 60D I can completely reverse the LCD to protect the viewing surface from abrasions.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Swivel Screens and Touch Screens: Both things that some people are rabidly against without ever trying them.

I have a 70D that I bought for video. Both features are very useful. Touch screen saves an incredible amount of time digging through menus and fiddling with buttons (and you can always use buttons and menus if you want). I've never once accidentally changed anything by hitting the touch screen. Also great for video follow focus. And, like a flip screen, if you don't want to use it, then don't.

The 70D flip screen is very robust. You'd have to really work at it to break it. Yeah, I suppose if your tripod flips over and the camera crashes onto a bunch of rocks, it could break, but that's probably after a lot of other parts have broken as well. It's actually easier to weather seal a flip screen as the camera body is solid where the screen ordinarily goes. And, it's not like you leave the screen flipped out all the time. If you are using the viewfinder, there is no reason to flip it out.

My only issue with a flip screen on the 5D and 7D would be the loss of real estate on the back and the need to reconfigure buttons.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
bmwzimmer said:
pedro said:
ahsanford said:
General thoughts:

- A

6D's current max ISO is 102,400
102,400 x 1.5 = 153,600. It will be Noisy as crap but that's Marketing for you. I would expect the ISO performance to be on par to current competitors in this segment which is about 1/3 stop better performance.
Stops are base 2.
So 1.5 stops = 2^(1.5)
=2.82
So ISO 102,400 x 2.82 = 290,000
= marketing will round this up to ISO 300,000

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Etienne said:

I don't disagree with what you said, but this is not an argument you win with logic. Swivel vs. Non-Swivel is right up there with using UV/Clear filters to protect your lens vs. shooting with naked front elements. There are two camps who will not budge. That's that.

Canon needs to step up and be a leader with this market preference pain-point and let photographers choose the LCD they want and change them out with a universal and secure cartridge-like mount:

• Have it come with the solid/integral non-touchscreen module for the base body cost.
  • Pay an extra $100 at time of purchase and it will instead be kitted with a swivel, touchscreen, or swivel+touchscreen module -- whatever you prefer
  • Buy more than one module for different needs at a nice markup for Canon. Need to record video down low? Grab a swivel module. Working in the arctic? Grab a solid/integral module. Also, FF owners who love their rig no longer need to drop down to a crappier body just to get a swivel. They would gladly, gladly pay $300-400 for that. Canon profits and the user is elated at the same time.
  • A modular mount then would open up the door to third party LCDs, perhaps letterboxed for video, perhaps oversized to view histo and the shot side by side -- the possibilities are endless.

- A

I don't see a modular system happening.

I do have a few questions about the Anti-Swivelers. Who are all these photographers who never:

1. Put your camera down low on the ground, especially where it's dirty or wet. Do they just shoot blind, or walk around wet and muddy for the rest of the day?
2. See over heads, or get a higher perspective. Do they shoot blind here too, or just don't bother with the shot?
3. Place your camera against a wall or tight spot where it's impossible to see the back of the camera. Shoot blind, or just don't bother?
4. Shoot from the waist, or at an odd angle to be discreet

I can't imagine a photographer or videographer that never faces these situations. Maybe if they never leave the studio, but then they wouldn't need durability anyway.

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
unfocused said:
I have to say: this is sure a lot of chatter over some specs that some random person on the web made up.
I think it just expresses the passion people have for the 6D brand.

I don't have a 6D (a friend of mine does, I use the 5D3), but I'd get a 6D Mk II if it has good video, DPAF, and a touchscreen-flipscreen, I'd even consider an 80D when it comes if it does a good job on those features (assuming great IQ).

Upvote 0