Canon EOS 6D Mark II Talk [CR1]

x-vision said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told the new camera is going to be 25mp (prototypes exist), have an articulating screen, dual SD card slots and shoot some form of 4K.

Nah.

36MP, single SD card, maybe plastic body.
You heard it here first 8).

If it uses that 5 year old IMX094 in the 6D... it will sell well...

Upvote 0
Lenscracker said:
I have 5D3 and 5Dsr. I like them both. I wish for one of these cameras to excel at low light high ISO photography. I don't need more pixels. I need better low light performance. Maybe a new 6D would do that. I love the idea of an articulating back. I had to buy a new Pentax K1 in order to get that in a full frame.

Have you compared resolution of the 5dsr to the K1 with pixelshift?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
AA said:
I hear that keeping with the wonderful tradition of the original 6D, it will come with a cutting edge one-point AF system, which will be an industry second!

It will also do 4K at 14 fps with a 2.4x crop factor, which will make it particularly suitable for wildlife and voyeuring.

I can hardly wait!
Very funny! But FYI the crop factor for NOW depends on the mpixels. So if 25 Mpixels it will be between the crop factor of 1DxII and 5D4...

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
neuroanatomist said:
douglaurent said:
...it will be fun to hear the complaining.

The complaining then will be like the complaining now, which is like the complaining for the past few years. Incessant whining by a handful of forum-dwelling malcontents, while the rest of the world goes right on buying Canon gear and creating amazing imagery with it.

Yes, what would life be like without the whiners and doomsters! Is it possible these posters are actually somewhere between 5 and 8 years old? In that case I'd be a little more forgiving. ;)

My 6D has been very good to me, my biggest single complaint being the AF system.

Jack

Do you hear anybody whining that smartphones don't have enough features? No, because they already include everything you need.

But a Canon 5D4, 1DX2 and pretty safe 6D2 don't include many features of the competition that are VERY convenient, and most of all helpful for STILLS and not only video - especially once the last photographer has found out that a video is just a series of stills he can use as well.

This is a list of very important features that is already mostly included in a Sony A7R2, and in many competitors cameras of a price range between 300-800USD as well - and shamefully to date there is no sign it will be implemented in a 6D2 or any other Canon fullframe camera until 2020:

- Articulating screen
- Fully assignable buttons
- Third wheel for ISO
- Silent Photo Shooting
- EVF reviewing and filming
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- APS-C Crop Lens compatibility
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Hot Shoe multi use for audio etc
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K shooting in real Full Frame
- 4K shooting in any zoom range between Full Frame and the middle 8 MP crop
- 4K in 3840 width
- 4K with efficient codec
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
douglaurent said:
Jack Douglas said:
neuroanatomist said:
douglaurent said:

The complaining then will be like the complaining now, which is like the complaining for the past few years. Incessant whining by a handful of forum-dwelling malcontents, while the rest of the world goes right on buying Canon gear and creating amazing imagery with it.

Yes, what would life be like without the whiners and doomsters! Is it possible these posters are actually somewhere between 5 and 8 years old? In that case I'd be a little more forgiving. ;)

My 6D has been very good to me, my biggest single complaint being the AF system.

Jack

Do you hear anybody whining that smartphones don't have enough features? No, because they already include everything you need.

But a Canon 5D4, 1DX2 and pretty safe 6D2 don't include many features of the competition that are VERY convenient, and most of all helpful for STILLS and not only video - especially once the last photographer has found out that a video is just a series of stills he can use as well.

This is a list of very important features that is already mostly included in a Sony A7R2, and in many competitors cameras of a price range between 300-800USD as well - and shamefully to date there is no sign it will be implemented in a 6D2 or any other Canon fullframe camera until 2020:

- Articulating screen
- Third wheel for ISO
- Silent Photo Shooting
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K in 3840 width
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video

Generally, a decent list. Not things I would define Canon as 'lagging behind' but useful functions. But using the words like 'shameful' seems little more than hyperbole verging on the ridiculous.

However, regards APS-C lens compatability, the way Canon has implemented the mounts this is not feasible with Canon lenses because of the mirror hitting the rear lens element. And I can understand why they have excluded that and I can imagine there would be more complaints about them making it even possible. Some APS-C Sigma lenses (especially the ultrawide) are full EOS mount so will fit on FF bodies even though they crop the image circle but as I understand it their lens construction is different to allow it.

Silent photo shooting - precisely how silent do you need it?

Pixelshift - do an FF cameras have pixel shift? The main issue as I understand it is the mechanics of moving a much larger sensor.
Third wheel for ISO - yes, I would like it but nothing I lose sleep over (shameful? come on....)

Speedbooster - Firstly it is a minority requirement. But how will this work? As I understand it the speedbooster takes a lens from a larger format and concentrates the light circle down to give brighter image. Which lenses would you want to attach to Canon to do this? Is this Canon's responsibility or Metabones?
Does Nikon have this? Are they 'Shameful'?

EVF - How many Nikon DSLRs have EVF filming and reviewing? Shameful? I am not aware of any cameras with dual OVF and EVF.

What do you mean by 'fully assignable buttons'?

Upvote 0
It is so easy to make great camera,:

1. take out AA filter
2. take out video and make great photograpic sensor because of that - if you need Video, go buy C-line or ARRI or ect..
3. make less MP but better DR and ISO, also make iso6400 max but than ISO 6400 should be great

6Dmk2 should be 80D/M5 but FF it would be nice 2 version of it, 6dmk2 normal dslr and M6 mirrorless FF

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
douglaurent said:

Yeah, the newest smartphone from Samsung (you know, that super innovative company that brought us the NX1) even has that great overheat-and-explode feature everyone needs, along with the innovative can't-be-used-on-an-airplane feature. Even the new post-recall units, apparently.

douglaurent said:
Jack Douglas said:

Nice list of stuff that's very important to you. Aside from the lack of those features upsetting you personally (along with all 50 of your rental customers, we know), and perhaps making you stamp your foot petulantly like when the teacher didn't give you a nice, glossy handout after class, how will your list impact the thing that matters to camera makers? Namely, the return on investment from cameras they sell.

Let's talk again in 2020, when Canon remains the ILC market leader and maybe you'll finally understand the irrelevance of your incessant whining here on CR.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon EOS 6D Mark II Talk [CR1]

As many of you, for me the perfect 6D mark II would be a full frame 80d. Don't forget that for many of us the price is very important. If it cost more than 2000 € I'm not shure to switch. Il would prefer to buy an older 6D.

I actually shot with a 70d. I'm waiting for the mark II because of the AF of the mark I wich will be a regression for me.

I although prefer better hight ISO level noise than more pixels. A dual SD slots would be a good improvement

Sorry for my English, I'm French.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
douglaurent said:
Jack Douglas said:
neuroanatomist said:
douglaurent said:

Jack

- Articulating screen
- Third wheel for ISO
- Silent Photo Shooting
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K in 3840 width
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video

Generally, a decent list. Not things I would define Canon as 'lagging behind' but useful functions. But using the words like 'shameful' seems little more than hyperbole verging on the ridiculous.

However, regards APS-C lens compatability, the way Canon has implemented the mounts this is not feasible with Canon lenses because of the mirror hitting the rear lens element. And I can understand why they have excluded that and I can imagine there would be more complaints about them making it even possible. Some APS-C Sigma lenses (especially the ultrawide) are full EOS mount so will fit on FF bodies even though they crop the image circle but as I understand it their lens construction is different to allow it.

Silent photo shooting - precisely how silent do you need it?

Pixelshift - do an FF cameras have pixel shift? The main issue as I understand it is the mechanics of moving a much larger sensor.
Third wheel for ISO - yes, I would like it but nothing I lose sleep over (shameful? come on....)

Speedbooster - Firstly it is a minority requirement. But how will this work? As I understand it the speedbooster takes a lens from a larger format and concentrates the light circle down to give brighter image. Which lenses would you want to attach to Canon to do this? Is this Canon's responsibility or Metabones?
Does Nikon have this? Are they 'Shameful'?

EVF - How many Nikon DSLRs have EVF filming and reviewing? Shameful? I am not aware of any cameras with dual OVF and EVF.

What do you mean by 'fully assignable buttons'?

Shameful: yes, this list is shameful for Canon, when you want to be the #1 on the market and charge prices of 4000+ euros for the cameras, while you're behind the competition regarding 20 important points. Historically Canon probably never has been that far behind in modern features, although they have just released their flagship products.

APS-C lenses: obviously this is an artificial limitation by Canon they could solve in a second if they like. If Canon full frame cameras had crop modes like Sony or Nikon, of course the use of such lenses would even be broader. With the new 4K crop that has no wide full frame alternative on the 5D4/1DX2, it would have been the right time to stop that stupid limitation!

Silent shooting: why not 100% silent? the 5D series are the wedding cameras #1, which photographer or guest enjoys the click noises? Canon simply needs to make a 5D4 mirrorless alternative. They could do, but for years first they try to figure out new camera systems with more different mounted lenses to the people and waste our lifetime.

Pixelshift: Pentax can do it, Canon probably does have a patent problem and want to protect their future high megapixel cameras, which is the main Canon philosophy: if you have 5 tasks, please buy and carry around 5 different cameras instead of 1. Just most people don't want or can do that, even if just a question of logistics and not money.

Speedbooster: We can cross that off the list indeed, because unless all Canon full frame cameras don't have a crop shooting mode, it would be pretty useless anyway. And of course technically it's a problem aside from medium format lens adapter options.

EVF: Nikon is even way more behind than Canon in many things, which is a problem because these two dinosaur companies havent realized yet it's not them alone anymore since it was decades, when they could slow down the pace as they liked. Unfortunately there is no pressure coming from Nikon, which makes it even more important to speak out as a Canon user.

Fully assignable buttons: Like in a Sony camera, simply allow any function on any button of the camera - not just 2-10 random features like in a Canon camera menu. This way the A7R2 already does have a third wheel for ISO if you like by the way.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
douglaurent said:
If nothing unusual happens, the 6D2 will be the last Canon full frame release for this decade.

On the 6D2, Canon probably will implement 1-2 of the 10-20 missing modern features the 5D4 or 1DX2 would have urgently needed, and that's it until 2020, after Hillary started her second term.

Instead of reading this forum regarding Canon full frame cameras, in the next 4 years it might be enough if someone can send one alert email in the unlikely case Canon has found an answer to the existing Sony A7R2, 2017 released A7R3 and 2019 released A7R4 (as well as the Sony A9I and A9II who could include the autofocus and processing power of the A99II).

At the speed of innovations of the last 5 years, only in 2030 it could be possible to buy a Canon flagship camera with the same specs and comfort of a camera that Sony already has released in 2020.

Alas, your comments say nothing about Canon - and a lot about you. Don't you realize that? If you think the Sony offerings are that much better, and don't believe that Canon will produce a camera that is equal to them for the next 3 years, then you must be a complete fool not to switch to Sony.

!0-20 missing features? That statement alone tells us all that you are living in a dream world. Just curious if you have ever actually used these fantastic Sonys. I bought a Sony A7II to replace my Canon 6D - and returned the Sony. I guess those 10-20 missing features didn't make up for the fact that the Canon took better pics (in my opinion, of course), was much easier to use, that the Sony had a very poor EVF, and that the Sony lenses (I returned the first) were possibly the worst I have ever used in terms of being very soft away from the center.

I have sold both cameras and lenses on Ebay, and while you are going to lose money, you can still sell at a fairly good percentage of the original cost in many cases. Please, get your Sony to replace your Canon(s). If you don't, you just prove that you are a childish whiner rather than someone who is smart enough to get the product that they want.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
scyrene said:

What's interesting is how before Canon released many cameras with 4K (after the 1DC but before the 1DxII), a lot of forum whining was 'any camera without 4K is DOA'; now they've shifted to 'the 4K is wrong, and camera without [crop/certain codecs/etc] is DOA!'. Shifting goalposts.

I think you're right; a lot of the noise about 4K is from people who are obsessed with ticking boxes on spec sheets, not people who actually use the feature.

Nobody likes to buy an item that is glaringly deficient in some area when compared to another comparable product by another vendor.

'Glaringly deficient' is subjective. For example, so far the 5DIV seems glaringly deficient in the problem of overheating while shooting 4K video (except for douglaurent's unit, of course, which frequently overheats), whereas the Sony a7S II – ostensibly a camera aimed squarely at video shooters – and the a7R II, had that wonderful feature of an overheating sensor (except for douglaurent's units, of course, which never overheated even before Sony released a firmware update to fix the known problem).

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
douglaurent said:
Shameful: yes, this list is shameful for Canon, when you want to be the #1 on the market and charge prices of 4000+ euros for the cameras, while you're behind the competition regarding 20 important points. Historically Canon probably never has been that far behind in modern features, although they have just released their flagship products.

"...when you want to be the #1 on the market" - They already *are* #1, by a decent margin.

"...while you're behind the competition regarding 20 important points" - can't be all that important, given they're already number one!

Half of your "20 important points" are gimmicks, the other half specialty features that the average buyer isn't too concerned about.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
d said:
douglaurent said:

"...when you want to be the #1 on the market" - They already *are* #1, by a decent margin.

"...while you're behind the competition regarding 20 important points" - can't be all that important, given they're already number one!

Half of your "20 important points" are gimmicks, the other half specialty features that the average buyer isn't too concerned about.

Yeah, but they're critically important to douglaurent. So Canon is clearly doomed. I mean, clearly. What with all his extensive market research, talking to 50 people he claims feel the same way he does, douglaurent obviously knows more about the business of selling cameras than Canon.

I guess he and AvTvM both turned down those incredibly lucrative consulting oppotunities that Canon offered them. Bummer. ::)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Who is their main competitor? Because I don't see 20 points where they are behind against Nikon

APS-C lenses: obviously this is an artificial limitation by Canon they could solve in a second if they like. If Canon full frame cameras had crop modes like Sony or Nikon, of course the use of such lenses would even be broader. With the new 4K crop that has no wide full frame alternative on the 5D4/1DX2, it would have been the right time to stop that stupid limitation!
it's not artificial. Put an EF-S lens on FF camera and the mirror hits the rear element. it is why they designed the EF-S mount the way they did.
What you are talking about is not EF-S lens compatabaility but sensor crop modes

Silent shooting: why not 100% silent? the 5D series are the wedding cameras #1, which photographer or guest enjoys the click noises? Canon simply needs to make a 5D4 mirrorless alternative. They could do, but for years first they try to figure out new camera systems with more different mounted lenses to the people and waste our lifetime.
The 6D is silent mode is very, very quiet. Why are you comparing it to 5D models when we are talking about a 6D v2? Have you even used the 6D?

Pixelshift: Pentax can do it, Canon probably does have a patent problem and want to protect their future high megapixel cameras, which is the main Canon philosophy: if you have 5 tasks, please buy and carry around 5 different cameras instead of 1. Just most people don't want or can do that, even if just a question of logistics and not money.
Nobody that I see has confirmed this is what the Pentax does.

Speedbooster: We can cross that off the list indeed, because unless all Canon full frame cameras don't have a crop shooting mode, it would be pretty useless anyway. And of course technically it's a problem aside from medium format lens adapter options.
The reason speedboosters were invented was to give shallower DOF because of the different characteristics of FF and MFT. A f4 image on MFT printed to the same size as a F picture has DOF of 5.6 on FF. So what you are saying is use APS-C crop mode then use a speed booster to produce a smaller image circle to give shallow DOF again. Why not just shoot at native f4 on FF and cut the expensive crap in the middle?

EVF: Nikon is even way more behind than Canon in many things, which is a problem because these two dinosaur companies havent realized yet it's not them alone anymore since it was decades, when they could slow down the pace as they liked. Unfortunately there is no pressure coming from Nikon, which makes it even more important to speak out as a Canon user.

But I thought Nikon was so far ahead of Canon in so many ways. I don't really see Sony as a competitor in the sense that 'Ooh, they have it so we must have it as well or lose market share'. Everything you mention is damn all to what really matters - image quality. Sony fall behind in one massive, important area - poor range of lenses. Canon gives an integrated system. Sony is not really the opposition to Canon, Nikon is and both companies believe that OVF with quality focus tracking and high quality post-sales support is the way to a successful company. Sony is said to have a great AF system - I dont recall seeing a single one.
If you want to see how Sony fares in traditional photographer working life:
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5684109129/lucky-number-7-shooting-pro-sports-with-the-sony-a7r-ii

So how far ahead is Sony in what matters? A real world-beater, obviously.

Fully assignable buttons: Like in a Sony camera, simply allow any function on any button of the camera - not just 2-10 random features like in a Canon camera menu. This way the A7R2 already does have a third wheel for ISO if you like by the way.
Is that really a 'deficiency'? Will that really affect your buying decision?

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
douglaurent said:

EF-S bodies have a shorter mirror so Canon makes EF-S lenses sit further back in the mount, thus it would break your Full Frame body if you put an EF-S lens on it.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
dilbert said:
It used to be said of people complaining about poor DR that Canon was fine doing its thing (i.e. nothing about DR) and then one day, what do you know, Canon's made changes that go some way to appeasing those that were annoyed with the DR and IQ of Canon cameras at low ISO.

Thus it would seem that the criticism of Canon was recognized by Canon and addressed. I imagine that if there are serious shortcomings in video capability (and there are) then at some point Canon will wake up and do something. When that is, nobody knows. But keeping the fire burning under Canon's feet is most worthwhile.

Canon didn't do it to appease anyone. They have a policy with DSLRs of only using their own sensors - they had not yet developed a sensor to match the competition and if they wanted to appease anyone surely they would have bought a Sony sensor like Nikon did.
Canon IMO also have different priorities. Nikon used Sony sensors for their headline-grabbing low ISO performance. But even now, go above ISO800 and that difference almost vaporises. Canon, having built their reputation on sports and wildlife, knew a vast majority of their customers valued functionality and performance at those higher ISOs and they prioritised their product development accordingly, introducing a high(er)-ISO camera only when they were confident it gave a true development.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
9VIII said:
douglaurent said:

EF-S bodies have a shorter mirror so Canon makes EF-S lenses sit further back in the mount, thus it would break your Full Frame body if you put an EF-S lens on it.

Are you questioning the knowledge douglaurent has gained by attending the Dilbertland School of Factoids and Other Stuff? :-X

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:
Jack Douglas said:
neuroanatomist said:
douglaurent said:

Jack

- Articulating screen
- Third wheel for ISO
- Silent Photo Shooting
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K in 3840 width
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video

I'd like to see some of these in a Canon DSLR hybrid offering, but Canon has firmly decided that many of these features will only be offered in their C series lineup. I have 80/20 video vs stills ratio requirement of what I'm looking for in a body these days so I've completely written off all of Canon's offerings as it no longer fits my use case profile anymore, but for stills I would expect they still reign in supreme and they have a captive audience in this segment to show for it.

I've accepted that for hybrid work, currently the best offerings in the market comes from players like Panasonic, Sony and Olympus (based on the upcoming E-M1 II). If that is your target, you will enjoy a much better video experience including workflow using these systems. At least in my books, hybrid work falls along the lines of run-n-gun, ENG and wedding and in those cases, high end codecs and pro-level functionality isn't a priority. For example, a weekend warrior wedding videographer will not want to transcode 500mbps to Pro-Res 422 just to get a same-day-edit up by dinner. They would also probably not want to rig up an EVF just to be able to get peaking and some form of articulated monitoring for a better shooting experience either.

I think another issue with Canon is moving from hybrid work to prosumer/pro-level video work. In this segment, Canon's C product series doesn't compare well against Blackmagic and RED either. I still need to use my Shogun with the C300 II just to record RAW and someone else here mentioned that external recorders are only needed when consumer cameras have consumer grade codecs. I guess that argument somewhat falls down here.

That means that other than Canon EF glass that is widely supported on all of the competitor's platforms, Canon doesn't have anything really suitable for people in my segment, and it shows when I have a case full of Canon lenses and not a single Canon body. In this case, people like us probably aren't making much of an impact to Canon's bottom line, but even Sony throws a bone out there from time to time. I'm sure that A99II at least feeds the sentiment that Sony hasn't completely abandoned their A-mount.

Upvote 0