Canon EOS 6D Mark II w/24-70mm f/4L IS Kits Delayed

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>The brand new Canon EOS 6D Mark II has begun shipping along with the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II kit. However, it appears the EOS 6D Mark II w/24-70mm f/4L IS has been delayed. The kit was scheduled to begin shipping on August 4, 2017, however it has been pushed back indefinitely.</p>
<p><strong><a href="https://translate.google.com/translate?act=url&depth=2&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/info/6dmk2-delivery/release.html">From Canon</a>: </strong><em>(Google Translated)</em></p>
<blockquote><p><span class="notranslate">Thank you very much for your patronage of Canon products.</span></p>
<p><span class="notranslate">Digital SLR camera that we are planning to release on August 4 EOS 6D Mark II · EF 24-70 F4L IS USM Lens Kit We are currently receiving very many orders that exceed the plan and deliver goods It is expected that you will receive your time.</span></p>
<p><span class="notranslate">We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused by our dealers and orders.</span></p>
<p><span class="notranslate">We will improve this situation as soon as possible and we will continue to devote ourselves to relevant departments so that we can deliver the products promptly to our customers, so we appreciate your understanding.</span></p></blockquote>
<p>Canon claims demand has exceeded expectations and that is the reason for the delay.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Oct 18, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
<p>Canon claims demand has exceeded expectations and that is the reason for the delay.</p>
You'd think, if anything, Canon would be trying to push out 24-70 kits simply because that lens has sold poorly. Any opportunity to get it moving and creating a market...

I wonder if there's a glitch in how it focuses or handles (happens quite a bit among all manufacturers) that would make shipping it foolish until they have the firmware fix ready.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Canon Rumors said:
Canon claims demand has exceeded expectations and that is the reason for the delay.</p>

I doubt that. According to the forum, it is a terrible camera and nobody wants it....

As far as I understood it, it is only the combination that is out of stock. If you want the 6Dii, you can buy it right now. If you want the lens, you can buy it right now. But if you want a box that reads "Canon EOS 6D Mark II w/24-70mm f/4L IS", you will have to wait.

So Canon simply underestimated how popular this combination would be, perhaps because they overestimated how many customers would buy their other kit-options.

Furthermore, if "popular" meant "good", then shit must taste great - millions of flies can't be wrong.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
testthewest said:
Furthermore, if "popular" meant "good", then S___ must taste great - millions of flies can't be wrong.

If s**t meets the flies needs, it is truly the best (for them). Same with cameras. If a camera meets your needs, good for you. But if it doesn't meet them, it doesn't mean that the camera is inherently bad...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
testthewest said:
Don Haines said:
Canon Rumors said:
Canon claims demand has exceeded expectations and that is the reason for the delay.</p>

I doubt that. According to the forum, it is a terrible camera and nobody wants it....

As far as I understood it, it is only the combination that is out of stock. If you want the 6Dii, you can buy it right now. If you want the lens, you can buy it right now. But if you want a box that reads "Canon EOS 6D Mark II w/24-70mm f/4L IS", you will have to wait.

So Canon simply underestimated how popular this combination would be, perhaps because they overestimated how many customers would buy their other kit-options.

Furthermore, if "popular" meant "good", then S___ must taste great - millions of flies can't be wrong.
I was poking fun at the forum naysayers.....

The camera has flown off of the local shelves and everyone has it on back order. At least to my mind, the kit with the 24-70 is the most attractive combo, yet I know that Canon did not offer up that many units, so of course they have run out of them.....

Upvote 0
I was planning to buy a 6D mark to replace my aging 6D. Decided against it after reading specs for new camera which did not include rumored enhancements of improved dynamic range and two SD recording slots. According to recent DXO tests reported on Canon Rumors the 6D mark 2 has less dynamic range than the original 6D. Who in their right mind would buy this camera when Nikon has a bundle sale of $2,300 for their D750 with an F4 24-120 IS lens? According to all the professional reviews the Nikon 750 has a Sony sensor which has greater dynamic range than Canon's flagship 5Dmk4. I have been a Canon shooter for 20 years and I am leaving it for Nikon. I was thinking seriously about switching to a Sony mirrorless but they are expensive and they use expensive heavy lenses that do not fit the small form factor of their mirrorless bodies. IMO the best camera for outdoor photographers today is Nikon, they combine mature DSLR systems with the best sensors in the business, which happen to be made by Sony.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
preppyak said:
Canon Rumors said:
You'd think, if anything, Canon would be trying to push out 24-70 kits simply because that lens has sold poorly.

I wonder how people get ahold of canon's internal sales reports so they know this.

I really need to be in that inner circle.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The issue is apparently related to the larger than expected number of people ordering kits. Lenses are manufactured in batches according to the forcast for demand. In order to produce more on short notice, more parts have to be manufactured pushing other production aside, it becomes a snowballing mess. That, of course means higher internal costs for Canon.

One of the reasons that Canon is profitable is because they are generally good at forecasting demand, but its a difficult process when it comes to quantities of various kits, and they definitely guessed wrong. Also implied is that they may have a surplus of kits with the 24-105L? Maybe demand for all versions is exceeding forcasts. In the past, dealers broke extra kits into body and lens, and sold them at a discount separately, pocketing additional profit as well. With Canon's MAP policy, they are effectively prevented from doing this.

Upvote 0
john kriegsmann said:
I was planning to buy a 6D mark to replace my aging 6D. Decided against it after reading specs for new camera which did not include rumored enhancements of improved dynamic range and two SD recording slots. According to recent DXO tests reported on Canon Rumors the 6D mark 2 has less dynamic range than the original 6D. Who in their right mind would buy this camera when Nikon has a bundle sale of $2,300 for their D750 with an F4 24-120 IS lens? According to all the professional reviews the Nikon 750 has a Sony sensor which has greater dynamic range than Canon's flagship 5Dmk4. I have been a Canon shooter for 20 years and I am leaving it for Nikon. I was thinking seriously about switching to a Sony mirrorless but they are expensive and they use expensive heavy lenses that do not fit the small form factor of their mirrorless bodies. IMO the best camera for outdoor photographers today is Nikon, they combine mature DSLR systems with the best sensors in the business, which happen to be made by Sony.

You know I don't necessarily disagree with your overall disappointment, but what I find strange is your whole argument is based on comments from others you have digested and then determined Canon is not best for you. Do you have any first hand experience with any of the cameras, or are you just relying on the wisdom of the internet? What nugget of improvement are you looking to gain? It is a serious question.

Upvote 0
testthewest said:

It's funny how that never seems to apply to anecdotal reports of Sony, Nikon, or mirrorless in general being popular. No, the masses are only wrong when the data points to them buying Canon. The masses are intelligent, tasteful, and attractive when they buy Sony. Or they would be, if the masses ever actually did that.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Here's a few of the things that I don't understand... ( a VERY partial list :) )

The 6DII and 24-70 is NOT offered as a kit in Canada....

In Canada, the 6DII sells for $2,599.99, the 24-105 F4 LII lens sells for $1,449,99, and the kit is $4,049.99. You pay $0.01 more for the kit than the items separately! Isn't the whole idea of a kit to give you savings when buying multiple items?

So if there is no price savings with a kit, why bother waiting for a kit?

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Here's a few of the things that I don't understand... ( a VERY partial list :) )

The 6DII and 24-70 is NOT offered as a kit in Canada....

In Canada, the 6DII sells for $2,599.99, the 24-105 F4 LII lens sells for $1,449,99, and the kit is $4,049.99. You pay $0.01 more for the kit than the items separately! Isn't the whole idea of a kit to give you savings when buying multiple items?

So if there is no price savings with a kit, why bother waiting for a kit?

It's roughly the same situation here. I understand their goal of not having the 24-105ii becoming as devalued as the first version because of the discounted bundles, but you'd think they could knock the combo down by $100 or $150 without doing that.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
WillT said:
Could it be Canon creating artificial scarcity or supply problems?

The body ranks 13th in DSLR cameras on Amazon

The 24-105 kit ranks #164 in DSLR Cameras on Amazon

So these don't appear to be flying off the shelf unless I do not understand Amazons sales rank

if they are backordered, they will be lower in amazon sales ranking. they are updated hourly.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
john kriegsmann said:
Who in their right mind would buy this camera when Nikon has a bundle sale of $2,300 for their D750 with an F4 24-120 IS lens? According to all the professional reviews the Nikon 750 has a Sony sensor which has greater dynamic range than Canon's flagship 5Dmk4. I have been a Canon shooter for 20 years and I am leaving it for Nikon.

And why not? If you prefer Nikon, then you should. No one will argue.

The point is, why do people argue when folks decide to choose Canon? There are many reasons to choose the 6D II over the Nikon if:

You prefer Canon reliability.
You prefer Canon color (a really big deal for many, including myself).
You already have Canon lenses.
You prefer Canon ergonomics.
You don't pixel peep or do heavy post processing, in which case the differences in IQ may be indistinguishable.

Upvote 0