Canon EOS 6D Moire and Aliasing issues?

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
motonerd said:
Anyone else having terrible Moire and Aliasing at 720P on the 6D?

The 6d is well-known for that issue by just about everybody (well, excluding you :p), it's due to the 20mp sensor not downsampling well to video resolution - unlike the 22mp 5d3, not impossible this might be deliberate by Canon.

There is nothing you can do about it except buy an aa filter to put in front of the sensor for about $300 or try some postprocessing tricks, the latter with only limited prospects of success. Bottom line: If this really is an issue for you sell the 6d, buy a 5d3, the latter also does full res raw video with Magic Lantern since it uses cf cards.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
motonerd said:

The 6d is well-known for that issue by just about everybody (well, excluding you :p), it's due to the 20mp sensor not downsampling well to video resolution - unlike the 22mp 5d3, not impossible this might be deliberate by Canon.

There is nothing you can do about it except buy an aa filter to put in front of the sensor for about $300 or try some postprocessing tricks, the latter with only limited prospects of success. Bottom line: If this really is an issue for you sell the 6d, buy a 5d3, the latter also does full res raw video with Magic Lantern since it uses cf cards.

Couldn't afford the 5DM3 otherwise I would have ;) and im aware of the "Issues it has". Trying to find some information on ways to reduce it since im very new to the whole DSLR scene. settings, suggestions etc. Stay in 1080P at 30P?

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
motonerd said:

[...]

There is nothing you can do about it except buy an aa filter to put in front of the sensor for about $300 or try some postprocessing tricks, the latter with only limited prospects of success. [...]

As I am considering the 6D to be my next camera, because my beloved 5D1 died a few months ago: Do you have a link or reference regarding the AA filter you mention?

Funny, BTW: Many other camera makers grab rewards for IQ, because they don't use AA filters anymore. The argument for Canon to still use one is to avoid Moire!!! Howevever, as I have teste the 6D for a day, I can say, that Moire is not a big issue for stills. I took exactly one shot of a building that presented a lot of Moire and Aliasing effects on the camera display and on my computer monitor, until I looked at it scaled to 1:1. In full size there was no sign of Moire effects, anymore, a lot of chromatic aberration, though (lens was 17-40L).

Thanks

gargamel

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
gargamel said:
Do you have a link or reference regarding the AA filter you mention?

Use search, there is a recent thread about this.

gargamel said:
Howevever, as I have teste the 6D for a day, I can say, that Moire is not a big issue for stills.

No, really, use search :p

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
gargamel said:
Do you have a link or reference regarding the AA filter you mention?

Use search, there is a recent thread about this.

Well, I did, but it seems to be about the VAF-6D filter. It's not *that* new, and comes with a side effect that I probably don't want: "...the distance scale will be rendered inaccurate." See http://nofilmschool.com/2013/02/canon-6d-mosaic-engineering-vaf-6d-moire-aliasing/.

Marsu42 said:
gargamel said:
Howevever, as I have tested the 6D for a day, I can say, that Moire is not a big issue for stills.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying, that the 6D suffers from Moire with stills a lot, too? Really? I only had it for one day, and didn't run into such problems, but it may depend heavily on the subject...

gargamel

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
gargamel said:
Marsu42 said:
gargamel said:
Howevever, as I have tested the 6D for a day, I can say, that Moire is not a big issue for stills.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying, that the 6D suffers from Moire with stills a lot, too? Really? I only had it for one day, and didn't run into such problems, but it may depend heavily on the subject...

Oh my, you really want me to use search for you? http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18987.msg360151#msg360151

... also read Rock Kenwell on d800 vs d800e: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d800/vs-d800e.htm

Upvote 0