Canon EOS 70D Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
unfocused said:
Of the sample images that Canon has released (at least that I've found) only one is at ISO 1600, nothing higher and nothing that isn't a smallish low resolution image. That's kind of worrisome.

unfocused, here is a link to some sample photos (and videos)

http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/lineup/70d/samples/

There is 1 full size photo at ISO 1600, and 1 full size at ISO 3200. There are also other samples at ISO 100 and ISO 400.

So far I'm impressed at the quality of these photos for each respective ISO... I think it's an improvement from eg my 7D.

Paul

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Marsu42 said:
neuroanatomist said:
But we're talking about the dedicated AF processor, a separate chip on the logic board that processes the data from the AF sensor.

I think everyone will agree that it doesn't matter if it's a separate chip or if its integrated into a new, faster digic cpu - the real question is if 19pt af means that it's actually as capable as the 7d in servo mode, worse, or even better (i.e. more precision than the 7d).

Except that it very well might matter. The 5DIII and 70D both have a Digic5+. The 5DIII is 22 MP at 6 fps = 132 MP/s; the 70D is 20 MP at 7 fps = 140 MP/s, so more is required of the 70D's Digic5+ engine already. However, the 5DIII does have a dedicated AF processor. So if the 70D does not (and I still have not seen anything suggesting that it does), that may mean performance has to be sacrificed somewhere...
It's a worse comparison than you suggest.... Not only is it 140Mp/s instead of 132, but those 140Mp/s each need to be assembled from a pixel pair.... But to counter that, how much is dumped to buffer for later processing and how much Digic time is devoted to AF tasks? AF performance is still a big unknown... We know some of the parts but system integration is unknown (so far)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
pj1974 said:
unfocused said:
Of the sample images that Canon has released (at least that I've found) only one is at ISO 1600, nothing higher and nothing that isn't a smallish low resolution image. That's kind of worrisome.

unfocused, here is a link to some sample photos (and videos)

http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/lineup/70d/samples/

There is 1 full size photo at ISO 1600, and 1 full size at ISO 3200. There are also other samples at ISO 100 and ISO 400.

So far I'm impressed at the quality of these photos for each respective ISO... I think it's an improvement from eg my 7D.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Those are some impressive shots. I've certainly never gotten anything that clean out of my 7D at those ISOs. If that's typical, Canon will be getting my money when the 7DII comes out.

Upvote 0
I have the 7D and plan to upgrade when something enticing comes along at around $2,000. The 70D specs look pretty good, but if the body isn't as big, as durable and as weather sealed as the 7D then it's not in the running. Those features are a must before I even look at specs. That is what killed the 6D for me. Hopefully the 7DII will be the camera for me.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon EOS 70D Announced - DR question

What about dynamic range?
Yes, I know, that same old question "beaten to death till indistinguishable fom dust" (1)... but the new "split photosite" tech in that sensor makes me wonder if Canon may introduce some "dynamic range expansion" mode similar to those found in Fujifilm cameras with an EXR sensor...
Let's dream big?

(1) Neuroanatomist, somewhere, citing from memory

PS: yes, sample images should be SOOC jpeg, afik

Upvote 0
Bruce Photography said:
Does anyone see that the 70D now has micro AF adjust? I don't see it in the specs. Canon wouldn't just forget about it would they and still call this camera a "Game Changer"?
yes, it does have AFMA. how many people will ask that again

just go through the pages where people posted numerous links to hands on previews where they list everything CR didnt.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
I just checked Amazon's best sellers list. The 70D body is #2 and the 18-135 kit is #8.

Why pre-ordering now, when the camera is set to be released in 1.5 months, and many hands-on tests and review will come out in the meanwhile?

Maybe ordering it on release date means another month delay? I'm really asking, I'm not criticizing who ordered it; indeed this is the question preventing me from placing the order today ;-) )

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
carlosmeldano said:
distant.star said:
70D:
148X111X74 (vol. 1.216)

139.0 x 104.3 x 78.5mm

You're right, Carlos. I made a mistake and took the 7D dimensions. So, it's vol. 1.142 and slightly smaller.

The main reason I chose my lesser-spec'd 50D over the 60D was because of 'feel'. I wanted my camera to be an extension of me rather than an ill-fitting attachment. I have medium-sized hands so we're not talking big-fumbling fingers all over the camera. But that's how my hands feel on a 60D and Rebels.

The 70D is a damn fine camera. I think the tech in this camera holds some exciting possibilities for the future!

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Confirmed from the Canon Europe 70D site: it may have the 7D's 19-pt sensor array & dedicated AF processor, but it doesn't have the same degree of flexibility & customizability. The 70D appears to only offer Single Point, Zone, and Auto 19-point; AF point Expansion and Spot AF are MIA. The dedicated AF area expansion button near the shutter button should have been made a programmable M.Fn button instead, just saying.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.