Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tanja said:
Marsu42 said:
I couldn't believe it either at first when I tried the 6d, and I am still wondering if I got it wrong: The fact that Canon forces the *source* files to be deleted is so impudent that it knocks your socks right off... and all reviews I know missed that, they only state "jpeg only" for hdr but don't say that it's impossible to do a custom hdr from raw afterwards in postprocessing and use the in-camera jpeg as a quick preview.
NOBODY.. really interested in HDR will do in camera HDR.

I dare to disagree, because there are two types of hdr I do:

* High quality hdr, I'm doing this a lot, often in combination with panorama or focus stacking. For this you just need the raw files, a lot of time and processing power & and end up with all raw sources plus a 100mb+ tif file.

* Quick hdr when I do some walkaround and know there's some higher dr in a static scene than the sensor can take (like the sun/sky/shadow, a reflection, ...) that doesn't require high quality postprocessing. For this I'd find in-camera hdr very useful because as far as I tried it the 6d/5d3 are very good at assembling the shots.

The problem with the 6d here is that you *have* to decide up front if you want to postprocess or do in-camera because it deletes all source files, jpeg as well as raw, and you end up only with a jpeg with known shortcomings in comparison like no way to adjust the wb afterwards. Deleting the source files as an option is ok if you're on holiday and don't want to fill your cards with 7x brackets, but being forced to do so imho is just ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List

robbinzo said:
I like the look of this a lot.
I was almost about to buy the 6D with the 24-105mm f/4 but now I'm thinking 70D with EFS 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6.......or maybe get myself a 17-40 mm which would be a 27-64mm equivalent walkaround.
This changes things somewhat!
I like the specs. The two things that put me off the 6D are the AF and no built in flash. I don't much want a pop up flash but would like an integrated speedlite transmitter.

I was about to do exactly the same as you and bite the bullet on a 6d with the 24-105, but the 70d spec is a real spanner in the works. Provided the price is substantially cheaper than the 7d, which you can now get for around £700 for the body, it'll be a very good deal.

The flash is no worries - if the 70d can perform anywhere near the 6d at high ISO's it'll be more than adequate. On the other hand, the wifi on the 6d and now 70d is an extremely compelling selling point for me - I've been doing astrophotography with an rx100 (don't laugh - it's amazing what one can achieve with that pocket rocket!) and the idea of using a phone as a remote is really nice.

Lenses wise, I'll take the cheapest possible kit EF-S lens going for when I need the wide, and I'm still thinking I'll get the 24-105L, the 40mm pancake and a 70-300 - all EF. I'm not interested in pricey EF-S lenses at all because at some point I can see a full frame body being purchased - I'd rather buy EF lenses and deal with the scale factor.

If I can get all that for say £1600 (about $2400) - which might be possible with grey imports, than that's quite a kit. Is it necessary to spend another £500/$800 for the 6d? Probably not. I expect the 7dmk2 when it's announced will be more costly than the 6d - and I'd definitely rather have the 6d then a crop body at that sort of price.

Anyway, it's all speculation - let's see what the reviews say first.

Upvote 0
I have to admit these specs look pretty good. Not perfect, but would have been enough to get me to buy this instead of jumping to FF and the 6D when I did. My original plan, in January, was to get the 70D when it came out (as an upgrade from my t4i) and at some later date upgrade again to FF. But I'm glad I got tired of waiting and skipped this middle step. It would have just been a long delay in getting to FF. Now that I've gone to the 6D I see how unnecessary it would have been to stay shooting crop any longer than I was since I was interested in going to FF at some point.

I'm still amazed at the quality of pics my 6D produces. I shoot in low light a lot and still laugh at the high ISO I use and still get awesome photos. I hope those that will buy the 70D will be able to say the same. Like I said it does look like it will be a pretty good camera. I hope those of you planning on getting one love it. But I'm glad I did not wait.

Upvote 0

Dick said:
arabstrap303 said:
if the 70d can perform anywhere near the 6d

It is ridiculous to compare crop bodies to FF bodies like that. The outcome is very different with the same settings. DOF, graininess, noise, framing, .... You cannot compare this stuff.

meli said:
arabstrap303 said:
... if the 70d can perform anywhere near the 6d at high ISO's it'll be more than adequate...

Why not 2 stops better than the 6D? why limit ourselves when we delve into the realm of fantasy? ::)

Blimey quite the over-reaction! OK, I phrased it wrong with 'anywhere near'. If the 70d has decent enough high ISO performance for my purposes (hobbyist level astrophotography), which I am sure it will, that will be enough for me. I'm not that stupid that I expect it to be of the same quality. Like I said, I value the features of the 6D like WIFI - I know most people think it's a gimmick and everything has to be about photo quality, but if the 70d has those and I get reasonable quality, that's fine and the extra cash can go on lenses.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

dilbert said:
J.R. said:
x-vision said:
Of course for DR it's pretty certain that D7100 will be a clear winner.

I don't think Canon cares about DR vis-a-vis the Nikons ... that could only be so because the most of the users of the cameras also don't care about DR ... I'm no longer sure if I should care either. ;)

More DR in canon cameras is certainly welcome, but it isn't all that matters.

Right.

The 70D needs to be compelling and different enough to get lots of 1xxxD, xxxD and xxD users to upgrade to it. The 60D was very underwhelming in that regard.
No it wasn't. I went from 400D to 60D and was overwhelmed. It helped me take the next step in my photography. On 5D3 now.

Upvote 0
You guys will probably think I'm weird, but depending on how improved the 70D sensor turns out, I'm thinking about selling my 6D and going to two or three crop bodies. (Downgrading from FF to crop? zomg!)

I love the sensor in the 6D, but it looks like everything else about the 70D is shaping up to be better than it's bigger FF brother. Faster flash sync, better autofocus, higher fps, articulated screen, built-in flash... I can't think of anything on the 6D that is better besides the sensor (don't use GPS). Switching back to APS-C also means cheaper bodies and lenses, which means I can afford more bodies and lenses! (f/1.8 Sigma zoom anybody?)

I would trade some sensor performance for a bit of everything else. It looks like the 70D is going to offer a lot of everything else.

Upvote 0
Wildfire said:
You guys will probably think I'm weird, but depending on how improved the 70D sensor turns out, I'm thinking about selling my 6D and going to two or three crop bodies. (Downgrading from FF to crop? zomg!)

I love the sensor in the 6D, but it looks like everything else about the 70D is shaping up to be better than it's bigger FF brother. Faster flash sync, better autofocus, higher fps, articulated screen, built-in flash... I can't think of anything on the 6D that is better besides the sensor (don't use GPS). Switching back to APS-C also means cheaper bodies and lenses, which means I can afford more bodies and lenses! (f/1.8 Sigma zoom anybody?)

I would trade some sensor performance for a bit of everything else. It looks like the 70D is going to offer a lot of everything else.

Just don't underestimate the IQ value of those big pixels. You won't get that kind of IQ in a crop body. Even if Canon has made some improvements, and I certainly hope they have (otherwise the 70D IQ will be worse than the 7D IQ), it is unlikely that their 20.2mp APS-C sensor will beat the 6D in terms of IQ. That holds true especially if they have not moved to a new fabrication process...if they stuck with 500nm, then the photodiode area for these pixels will be REALLY SMALL. It would have to be a BSI design in order to make it perform better than the 7D with 500nm transistors (which isn't out of the realm of possibility...just still too early to make the decision to sell a 6D and jump the FF ship just yet, IMO.)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jrista said:
Wildfire said:

Just don't underestimate the IQ value of those big pixels. You won't get that kind of IQ in a crop body. Even if Canon has made some improvements, and I certainly hope they have (otherwise the 70D IQ will be worse than the 7D IQ), it is unlikely that their 20.2mp APS-C sensor will beat the 6D in terms of IQ. That holds true especially if they have not moved to a new fabrication process...if they stuck with 500nm, then the photodiode area for these pixels will be REALLY SMALL. It would have to be a BSI design in order to make it perform better than the 7D with 500nm transistors (which isn't out of the realm of possibility...just still too early to make the decision to sell a 6D and jump the FF ship just yet, IMO.)

That is exactly where my question earlier in this thread pointed at: does "new sensor" also apply to new tech? If things remain as described here, we are still far off from improved high ISO IQ. So the crucial changes will have to be here. As I have a 5D3 I am very interested how Canon will progress in this during the 5D3's "product cycle". Although it is an excellent camera, I am still keen to see better high ISOs. And what I can guess based on the tech centered threads here a lot of it depends on sensor tech AND processing power via DIGIC upgrades.

Upvote 0
pedro said:
jrista said:
Wildfire said:

That is exactly where my question earlier in this thread pointed at: does "new sensor" also apply to new tech? If things remain as described here, we are still far off from improved high ISO IQ. So the crucial changes will have to be here. As I have a 5D3 I am very interested how Canon will progress in this during the 5D3's "product cycle". Although it is an excellent camera, I am still keen to see better high ISOs. And what I can guess based on the tech centered threads here a lot of it depends on sensor tech AND processing power via DIGIC upgrades.

Better HIGH ISO's aren't the problem, at least not in your 5D3.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Wildfire said:

Nothing at all weird about that. It's just a case of what your style happens to be. Full frame is not better than APS-C, it's just different. If you don't shoot at high ISOs, if you are more of an "F64" shooter than a wide open romantic bokeh type, if you don't routinely print larger than 2 x 3 feet, then the differences may not be worth the cost.

It is impossible to determine from a well-made print if it was shot on APS-C or full-frame. Much of the supposed "image quality" differences that full frame shooters think they see can be ascribed to confirmation bias.

Choose whatever works for your style and your budget and don't be intimidated.

Finally, remember the cardinal rule: "if you want to take more interesting pictures, stand in front of more interesting things."

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
bdunbar79 said:
pedro said:
jrista said:
Wildfire said:

Better HIGH ISO's aren't the problem, at least not in your 5D3.

@bdunbar: of course you are right! as you know me from other threads, I am always dreaming of better high ISOs, but I am absolutely happy for the moment with anything what my 5D3 delievers! It's a great cam. So, once Canon turns its next page in sensor tech as mentioned above, it will get much more exciting as I am looking forward to an overnext 5D body... :D

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
pedro said:
@neuro: As I do only know the 1Dx by the posts about it and never held one in my hand, is there an extra battery power unit (battery grip) by design? that's great of course and necessary.

The grip is integrated - part of the body, all one piece. The 1-series bodies are similar in size to other bodies with an accessory battery grip. The 1-series also use a larger, more powerful battery.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.