Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ankorwatt said:
luciolepri said:
I'm afraid 20.2 MP means moiré issues...

OK, WHY? HMMM
all sensors who not can out resolves the lenses you are using corse moire in some line structures
so what do you mean?

I was talking about video, I should have mentioned it...
It looks like the 20.2 mp sensor doesn't handle line skipping very well.

Upvote 0
I've been reading this thread (or maybe it was 1 of the many other 70D threads?) since last night & only a few people have mentioned my concern. So I guess I'm overly concerned about a minor issue. BUT, of course, I'll bring it up anyway.

Is anyone concerned about the focusing sensitivity only going down to -.5ev? Is this going to be a problem in medium/low or low light situations w/ anything other than a fast prime? Or even w/ a fast prime? I mean we've got this great new Dual Pixel focusing system so I can't imagine Canon would do this if it really is going to prove problematic, right? I mean they just went through the marketing disaster with the EOS M, would they really do this to something w/ the sales/profit potential of the 70D??

I know the standard answers are: No, no, not a problem-you're just obessing about some minor little thing. Or perhaps the always safe (but much less fun): we'll just have to wait & see.

I'm curious because I use a 7D as my back up. I've always felt it did just fine w/ low light focusing-until I borrowed (& then rented) a 6D. The 6D, w/ its infamous single center cross focus point, really did amaze when I used it in low light. After that, I want something that has either the -3ev capability or at least something close to it.

I have to admit that I was thinking about switching out my back up for something newer (touchscreen, silent mode, a new sensor, deeper bracketing, & I admit to being curious about using wireless remote control once the apps start coming out). The 70D is still a consideration once the initial pricing drops a little given that I can cover most or all of the cost with the sale of my beloved 7D. But again, having got a taste of low light focusing with the 6D & a fast prime, IDK. I may just have to keep waiting & walking around with my dated (but still satisfying) equipment-my 5D2 & 7D. With a nice but also aging T2i (my loaner, fun/crazy camera) hoovering around in the background...

If anyone still monitoring this thread has an opinion, please let me know what you think. Tks

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jdramirez said:
then, outside of build quality and a few faster shots per second, what advantage does the 7d mki have over the 70d?

None...until its specs are known. But probably better standard phase AF, better sealing to go with the better build, perhaps better metering, definitely more C# modes, more MP, much better high ISO, time will tell...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
jdramirez said:
then, outside of build quality and a few faster shots per second, what advantage does the 7d mki have over the 70d?

None...until its specs are known. But probably better standard phase AF, better sealing to go with the better build, perhaps better metering, definitely more C# modes, more MP, much better high ISO, time will tell...

Ooh! Ooh! I get to correct Neuro!!

That said mki, not mkii ;-) We know the specs on the mki.

I expect your 1dx caused you to forget about your poor 2nd body... ;-)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
bseitz234 said:
neuroanatomist said:
jdramirez said:

Well, technically there's no such thing as a MkI anything... ;)

The 7D is pretty much a lame duck at this point. Unless you need that feature set between now and September...

Upvote 0
thelebaron said:
well the 70d's -.5ev is the same as the 7d's. while i do remember having few stuggles with it in low light, it was usually when the resulting picture would be supremely noisy

thelebaron, that's pretty much how I felt-a little struggling in low light but nothing to take notice of, etc. Until I tried low light AF on the 6D. I'm curious if you've tried the 6D & if so, how you found it (low light performance) in comparison to the 7D? I know its not totally apples to apples (FF to Crop, differing overall af systems, etc.,etc) but still, I do wonder about Canon staying with the -.5ev range on this camera. Maybe picking up the AF of the 7D they had to stay with the same ev rating?

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
bseitz234 said:
neuroanatomist said:
jdramirez said:

I read that twice... and I was thinking... what 20 is still more than 18... uhhh... but then it all clicked in.

Upvote 0
skfla said:
thelebaron said:
well the 70d's -.5ev is the same as the 7d's. while i do remember having few stuggles with it in low light, it was usually when the resulting picture would be supremely noisy

thelebaron, that's pretty much how I felt-a little struggling in low light but nothing to take notice of, etc. Until I tried low light AF on the 6D. I'm curious if you've tried the 6D & if so, how you found it (low light performance) in comparison to the 7D? I know its not totally apples to apples (FF to Crop, differing overall af systems, etc.,etc) but still, I do wonder about Canon staying with the -.5ev range on this camera. Maybe picking up the AF of the 7D they had to stay with the same ev rating?

I actually have the 6D now and I had the 7D for about a year prior. I find that the center focus point on the 6D can pick up almost anything in a dimly lit room, whereas the 7D will focus hunt quite a bit unless there is at least moderate contrast. On the other hand, I find that the 7D's outer focus points are noticeably faster than those of the 6D's, but that's to be expected considering the 7D's are all cross-type. For a DSLR of this caliber, I think -.5EV will be more than adequate for most scenarios, although an improvement over its predecessor(s) would have been nice.

Upvote 0
I agree with bleephotography, but my experience is a 5d3(which replaced my 7d). Its great being able to focus alot faster and more accurately, but when Ive forced a photo in those types of situations, things could be noisy or dark or both. It hasn't really made a large impact to me as an enthusiast, but I could see it being more of a big deal for wedding or event photography.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.