Canon EOS 70D Spec List [CR3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for a replacement for my T1i for some time. I wanted to wait and see what the 70D offered. Right now my budget (based on some assumptions) will allow for either the 6D, 5DMII or a 70D.

I'm going to wait and see what the more educated say about real world results on the 70D. Particularly, I'm interested in low light (noise) handling. Of course I'm interested in dipping my toes into the FF world, but that option will trigger the sale of my EF-S 17-55 and the acquisition of something like a 24-70 or the 24-105 (more realistic). I can't imagine that both the 70D or the 6D aren't worlds better with AF than my current camera.

It's good to see the 70D look like a step forward instead of the sidestep that the T5i looks like. It sure makes next year's rebel and the 7D upgrade seem a whole lot more interesting.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
pedro said:
@neuro: As I do only know the 1Dx by the posts about it and never held one in my hand, is there an extra battery power unit (battery grip) by design? that's great of course and necessary.

The grip is integrated - part of the body, all one piece. The 1-series bodies are similar in size to other bodies with an accessory battery grip. The 1-series also use a larger, more powerful battery.

Thank you, neuro.

Upvote 0
bseitz234 said:
Don Haines said:
I am surprised that nobody so far has asked the big question about the 70D..... Does the mode dial go all the way around?

It definitely looks like it locks!!!1!!1!one!1!

</sarcastic excitement>

Don't laugh! That was one of the best things about moving from t2i -> 60D. It was pretty easy to inadvertently move the t2i dial when taking it in/out of a camera bag.

I hadn't thought about the possibility they WOULDN'T have that, but I agree, the photo looks like it has the center release button on the mode dial.

Upvote 0
Alino said:
Hi all, I'm new here, It's my first post.

Welcome to the forum :)

Alino said:
With the 70D, I would like the return of the double fontions on the buttons of the top, near the LCD.

Won't happen, Canon nowadays reserves the double button layout for the "pro" bodies 7d/5d while for us cheap Joe Sixpacks with a 70d/6d it's much too confusing :p

Upvote 0
pedro said:
jrista said:
Wildfire said:
You guys will probably think I'm weird, but depending on how improved the 70D sensor turns out, I'm thinking about selling my 6D and going to two or three crop bodies. (Downgrading from FF to crop? zomg!)

I love the sensor in the 6D, but it looks like everything else about the 70D is shaping up to be better than it's bigger FF brother. Faster flash sync, better autofocus, higher fps, articulated screen, built-in flash... I can't think of anything on the 6D that is better besides the sensor (don't use GPS). Switching back to APS-C also means cheaper bodies and lenses, which means I can afford more bodies and lenses! (f/1.8 Sigma zoom anybody?)

I would trade some sensor performance for a bit of everything else. It looks like the 70D is going to offer a lot of everything else.

Just don't underestimate the IQ value of those big pixels. You won't get that kind of IQ in a crop body. Even if Canon has made some improvements, and I certainly hope they have (otherwise the 70D IQ will be worse than the 7D IQ), it is unlikely that their 20.2mp APS-C sensor will beat the 6D in terms of IQ. That holds true especially if they have not moved to a new fabrication process...if they stuck with 500nm, then the photodiode area for these pixels will be REALLY SMALL. It would have to be a BSI design in order to make it perform better than the 7D with 500nm transistors (which isn't out of the realm of possibility...just still too early to make the decision to sell a 6D and jump the FF ship just yet, IMO.)

That is exactly where my question earlier in this thread pointed at: does "new sensor" also apply to new tech? If things remain as described here, we are still far off from improved high ISO IQ. So the crucial changes will have to be here. As I have a 5D3 I am very interested how Canon will progress in this during the 5D3's "product cycle". Although it is an excellent camera, I am still keen to see better high ISOs. And what I can guess based on the tech centered threads here a lot of it depends on sensor tech AND processing power via DIGIC upgrades.

Well, new sensor is new tech regardless. It had to be redesigned to achieve the extra 2.2mp, so it IS new technology. New technology does not inherently always mean new fabrication process...which is what a move to 180nm or 90nm would be. I believe the sensor is "new tech", and I believe it will perform well. The big question is will it be competitive...i.e. performing as well as the top competitor chips. If Canon has not moved to a new fabrication process, and has instead chosen to stay with 500nm, then I do not believe this sensor will perform well relative to the competition. It may be only marginally better than the 7D, assuming the weaker CFA of the 1DX/5DIII is applied.

I don't think Canon can remain competitive in the long term if they continue to rely on an ancient fabrication process. I think the 70D will be EXTREMELY telling in that respect, and could provide hints as to the 7D II and "Big Megapixel" camera due next year. If Canon does stick with a 500nm process, then I'll get a 5D III (as it is definitely better than my 7D at this point) and be done with it. If they finally move to 180nm and Cu interconnects, then I'll wait and see what they do with the 7D II.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Re: Canon EOS 70D Spec List

peederj said:
Might be a nice reach companion to the 5D3 at $1000 intro or thereabouts.
cellomaster27 said:
It's finally here!!! Hopefully it's a thousand at most.
60D body listed at $1099, so, that is the absolute lowest price it would be. I think the xxD used to list at $1299 or so, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this right around there.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011

preppyak said:
peederj said:
Might be a nice reach companion to the 5D3 at $1000 intro or thereabouts.
cellomaster27 said:
It's finally here!!! Hopefully it's a thousand at most.
60D body listed at $1099, so, that is the absolute lowest price it would be. I think the xxD used to list at $1299 or so, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this right around there.

Well... does anyone every really pay list price? My 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mkii is listed at $4000 if I recall correctly. If anyone wants to buy my used one for $3000... give me a call. It is a 25% discount!

Upvote 0
If true, this is extremely surprising and rather awesome. Not too much to complain about on this list in terms of a 70D. I'd guess it comes in at $1299.
To be honest though, nothing short of an EOS-M sized camera with a FF sensor would get me too excited. My gear is good enough that having a smaller size and weight is the only improvement that I can actually claim to need.

Upvote 0
I am also really anxious to see the sensor technology. A doctor of engineering I believe, added a remark on another forum that it was impossible for Canon at this stage to catch up with the competition? I know nothing about it but he researched it and came to this conclusion.
Really curious to see if he is right or hopefully wrong? Regardless, it wont hurt the bottom line of Canon IMO. But interesting to see the direction they are headed.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

jdramirez said:
Well... does anyone every really pay list price? My 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mkii is listed at $4000 if I recall correctly. If anyone wants to buy my used one for $3000... give me a call. It is a 25% discount!

List price of 70-200 f2.8 IS Mk II is $2,499 http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/telephoto-zoom-lenses/ef-70-200mm-f-28l-is-ii-usm?WT.mc_id=C126149 with $300 rebate, price is $2,199. That is the also the price at B&H, Adorama and Amazon and is the mandated minimum advertised price under Canon policies. So, yes, people do pay list price.

The 25% off list that you are offering brings it down to $1,649. I'm not interested, but others may be.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
garyknrd said:
...A doctor of engineering I believe, added a remark on another forum that it was impossible for Canon at this stage to catch up with the competition? I know nothing about it but he researched it and came to this conclusion...

A dermatologist is an M.D., but if I need a heart bypass, I won't be going to one. Unless your "doctor of engineering" actually works in Canon's research labs, he knows nothing more than you or me.

Upvote 0
ankorwatt said:
unfocused said:
garyknrd said:
...A doctor of engineering I believe, added a remark on another forum that it was impossible for Canon at this stage to catch up with the competition? I know nothing about it but he researched it and came to this conclusion...

A dermatologist is an M.D., but if I need a heart bypass, I won't be going to one. Unless your "doctor of engineering" actually works in Canon's research labs, he knows nothing more than you or me.

That's not true, it requires investment of billions USD to get the same sensor lines as for example Sony has.
There is no indications of that has be done in the annual reports from Canon or from the market, it is necessary for example to buy new steppers and lenses from zeiss and in the million dollar class to the lithography equipment for larger sensor areas as APS and 24x36.

Your statement is just as untrue. Canon designs and builds their own lithography equipment, builds their own lenses, their own steppers, and are just as capable of DOING that if they CHOOSE TO as anyone else. I'd also point out that while Sony has spent tens of billions of dollars in borrowed money, putting their bond status to "junk", Canon has been raking in the hundreds of billions through sales alone. Canon is more than capable of spending a billion or two to create a fab capable of fabricating 180nm, 90nm, or even 65nm parts. It is a matter of whether they choose to or not. The one thing about Canon is they know when to protect their bottom line...and now really is the time. The market is stiffer, the majority of modern sensor development applies to markets Canon cares nothing about (very small form factor sensors for small form factor devices like phones, phablets and tablets) and which do not present significant competition to their primary markets, devastating natural disasters that are unpredictable, and when they hit require reserves of money to recover from, and at the moment the competition is still barely putting a dent in Canon's dominant market share despite their supposedly radically superior "technology".

If and when Canon actually feels the pain of all the innovation going on in the marketplace, I don't doubt they will compete. I also wouldn't be surprised to learn they have a number of their own sensor manufacturing techniques to improve their designs up their sleeve, which they will drop on the competition when it serves them best. Technology is only part of the game, and if Canon's success and market share are telling in any way, not the most important part.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.