Canon EOS 7D Mark II AF Issues

I Got My 7D ii 4 Weeks Ago, Went To Yorkshire Wildlife Safari Park With Tripod & Sigma 50-500 Using One Shot Auto Focus, Out Of About 400 Shots, Only 2 Were Any Good And Took A Lot Of Sharpening, They All Looked Great On The LCD On The Back Of The Camera, Got Home And After A Week I Deleted Them All.
I Sent My Camera Back, Got My Money Back, No Questions Asked, Which Makes Me Think Some Suppliers Are Aware Their Is A Problem. I Tried Calibration On My 17-40, 24-70, 70-200 L Series Lens Are They Were Just As Bad. I Would Also Like To Add That Most Pictures Taken Were Of Lions & Tigers Lazing About Some Of Which Were Asleep

Upvote 0
entoman said:
The third issue:

My camera, when set to 65pt wide area focus, and set to AI FOCUS or ONE SHOT mode, always focuses on the closest object, regardless of its position in the frame. However with the same 65pt wide area focus, and no other changes, apart from setting SERVO focus, it acts totally differently, always focusing on an object in the centre of the frame, regardless of whether there is a closer object to the left or right.

Issues 2 and 3 seem to indicate a firmware problem.

Concerning the third issue, if you have the iTR activated in SERVO mode, this is a normal behaviour. The auto-focus works first on the selected collimator (generally the center one) and then follows the subject using the 65 collimators.

Upvote 0
My experienced problem with my 7DII is in AI SERVO (iTR activated) and continuous (10fps, focus priority for first and second shoot) mode.
When I shoot a serie of 7-10 frames, the 2-3 first shots are clear in focus, the following ones (2-3 also) can be totally out of focus and the last ones come back in focus. I have seen that in several cases: ski jump, horse jump,... with the 70-200F:4LIS.
Otherwise, I have not seen any problem in AI one-shot or in image per image drive.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Pancho said:
entoman said:
The third issue:

My camera, when set to 65pt wide area focus, and set to AI FOCUS or ONE SHOT mode, always focuses on the closest object, regardless of its position in the frame. However with the same 65pt wide area focus, and no other changes, apart from setting SERVO focus, it acts totally differently, always focusing on an object in the centre of the frame, regardless of whether there is a closer object to the left or right.

Issues 2 and 3 seem to indicate a firmware problem.

Concerning the third issue, if you have the iTR activated in SERVO mode, this is a normal behaviour. The auto-focus works first on the selected collimator (generally the center one) and then follows the subject using the 65 collimators.

THIS is a perfect example of why it's difficult to take many claims of so-called problems as genuine. When the solution to the "problem" is to RTFM, it's not really a problem now, is it?

Upvote 0
Pancho said:
My experienced problem with my 7DII is in AI SERVO (iTR activated) and continuous (10fps, focus priority for first and second shoot) mode.
When I shoot a serie of 7-10 frames, the 2-3 first shots are clear in focus, the following ones (2-3 also) can be totally out of focus and the last ones come back in focus. I have seen that in several cases: ski jump, horse jump,... with the 70-200F:4LIS.
Otherwise, I have not seen any problem in AI one-shot or in image per image drive.

Maybe try to reduce unnecessary "noise" buy turning it off. Other than that I have the same phenomenon

Upvote 0
I have had a 7DII since it was released. I have 37K shutter activations. I had some AF issues. I sent it to Canon who acknowledged that "It was found that the internal component was out of position causing the focus to operate improperly. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the internal component." Things have improved.

I use the 7D Mk II with 1.4x III and 100-400 MK II for local birding where I am usually walking with my equipment. The camera is in continuous mode, AI Servo AF.

I have a 1DX for larger or closer subject and have used it with the same lens with no problems. I have also used a friend's 400mm DO Mk II on my 7D II with similar AF issues. I have used a 1DX for a couple of years without AF issues. Yes, we all have OOF shots at times.

On the 7D II, occasionally, one or 2 shots in a burst would be out of focus for no good reason - nothing in the situation changed. It wasn't awful until I shot a burst of an egret. In one frame the egret's mouth was open catching a dragonfly. There was only one of this in the burst. Happily it was sharp. I realized if that was the one that was OOF I would have been furious. The camera went to Canon that afternoon. I could shoot 10 frames and say number 4 and 7 (but randomly) would be OOF. With identical subjects not moving I could have a sharp image, then an OOF one, then the next sharp. There clearly was an AF issue on my copy.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Jane said:
The camera is in continuous mode, AI Servo AF.

With identical subjects not moving I could have a sharp image, then an OOF one, then the next sharp. There clearly was an AF issue on my copy.

Clearly. You're using a mode designed to track a moving subject, predict where it will be when the next image is captured, then focus on that new location before the moving subject gets there. You're using that mode on a static subject. So clearly, that means there's an AF issue. Clearly.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Jane said:
The camera is in continuous mode, AI Servo AF.

With identical subjects not moving I could have a sharp image, then an OOF one, then the next sharp. There clearly was an AF issue on my copy.

Clearly. You're using a mode designed to track a moving subject, predict where it will be when the next image is captured, then focus on that new location before the moving subject gets there. You're using that mode on a static subject. So clearly, that means there's an AF issue. Clearly.

I've used nothing but AI-servo on still or moving objects on my Canon cameras for 10 years, and had no problems. I'm doing the same on my 7D Mark II and also having no problems on stationary subjects.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Lee Jay said:
I've used nothing but AI-servo on still or moving objects on my Canon cameras for 10 years, and had no problems. I'm doing the same on my 7D Mark II and also having no problems on stationary subjects.

Interesting.

[quote author=Canon]
One Shot: Suited for still subjects.
AI Servo: Suited for moving subjects when the focusing distance keeps changing.
[/quote]

In fact, I also use AI Servo for still subjects – but with back button AF the camera isn't attempting to continually focus.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Lee Jay said:

Interesting.

[quote author=Canon]

In fact, I also use AI Servo for still subjects – but with back button AF the camera isn't attempting to continually focus.
[/quote]

So, when you let go of the button, it stops focusing. If it's continually moving in and out of focus while you are holding the button down, it should be stopping in or out of focus randomly. In reality, if it's working properly, it shouldn't be jittering around at all on a stationary subject, and if it is, it should be such a small amount that the subject is always still well within the DOF so that the precise moment you let go of the AF ON button doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
In reading some of the responses in this thread I think it's very clear those of us having the AF issue are experiencing the problem in almost the exact same circumstances. There is certainly something buggy about the camera.

The "I'll shoot 10 frames and frame 4 and 6 will randomly be OOF" is pretty much spot on. I will shoot a series of shots of a vehicle coming toward me at the track and 2 or 3 in a quick burst will be OOF for no reason at all. The shots in between are just fine. I've used almost every setting imaginable to adjust this camera's AF as well...nothing seems to prevent it from just getting all confused here and there. However, this thing can stay GLUED on almost anything, but then it will randomly show a shot in a sequence where it commanded the lenses to change focus incorrectly then corrects for it immediately after.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Lee Jay said:
neuroanatomist said:
Lee Jay said:

Interesting.

[quote author=Canon]

So, when you let go of the button, it stops focusing. If it's continually moving in and out of focus while you are holding the button down, it should be stopping in or out of focus randomly. In reality, if it's working properly, it shouldn't be jittering around at all on a stationary subject, and if it is, it should be such a small amount that the subject is always still well within the DOF so that the precise moment you let go of the AF ON button doesn't matter.
[/quote]

Yes and No. My experience has been that if you sit there and hold BBF down on a stationary subject and you fire enough shots, it will miss. Granted this has been at f/2 and faster in my experience. Of course I learned long ago (if shooting full time ai servo) to tap (briefly hold) BBF to focus on a stationary subject and it works great. In fact I read or saw a video years ago where a Canon rep/tech/trainer covered all of this and you were basically fine to use ai servo in this manner. Where one really needs to drop back to one shot mode, is in very low light, low contrast subjects where the camera/lens may have to hunt a bit to lock focus... being in ai servo will just be problematic at this point.

General rules apply here. Get to know your gear and use it correctly. Continuing tracking a still subject is just tempting fate.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Luds34 said:
Lee Jay said:
neuroanatomist said:
Lee Jay said:

Interesting.

[quote author=Canon]

Yes and No. My experience has been that if you sit there and hold BBF down on a stationary subject and you fire enough shots, it will miss. Granted this has been at f/2 and faster in my experience. Of course I learned long ago (if shooting full time ai servo) to tap (briefly hold) BBF to focus on a stationary subject and it works great. In fact I read or saw a video years ago where a Canon rep/tech/trainer covered all of this and you were basically fine to use ai servo in this manner. Where one really needs to drop back to one shot mode, is in very low light, low contrast subjects where the camera/lens may have to hunt a bit to lock focus... being in ai servo will just be problematic at this point.

General rules apply here. Get to know your gear and use it correctly. Continuing tracking a still subject is just tempting fate.
[/quote]

+1

Find a quiet room. Put your camera on a tripod pointed at a high-contrast static subject, single point selection, AI Servo, IS off if the lens has it. Activate focusing and keep it active...do you hear something? If it's quiet enough, you will – that's the focusing element group moving. When it moves, the focus distance changes. Maybe not enough to matter, but sometimes it can, especially with wide apertures and close subjects. A firmware bug? Canon's fault? Nope, RTFM.

Same reason you need to turn off IS with the first-gen IS lenses when mounted on a tripod – the system is attempting to compensate for motion that isn't there.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
New firmware tomorrow. According to a post in another thread with a Spanish version of the supposed notes on the update, it addresses an AF issue.

fserrajana said:
1. Ha solucionado el fenómeno por el cual la función AF de la cámara no siempre funcionaba correctamente a distancias focales de aproximadamente 100 mm al usarse con el objetivo EF 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS II USM.

I wonder – is everyone reporting buggy AF seeing it specifically with the 70-200/2.8L IS II at ~100mm?? Somehow, I doubt it.....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Lee Jay said:
neuroanatomist said:
Find a quiet room. Put your camera on a tripod pointed at a high-contrast static subject, single point selection, AI Servo, IS off if the lens has it. Activate focusing and keep it active...do you hear something?

No...dead silent, no movement at all.

Interesting. Different from the four cameras with which I've tried it.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
neuroanatomist said:
Find a quiet room. Put your camera on a tripod pointed at a high-contrast static subject, single point selection, AI Servo, IS off if the lens has it. Activate focusing and keep it active...do you hear something?

No...dead silent, no movement at all.

Mine after the mirror box replacement and calibration also has no movement of the AF on a static high contrast subject. It locks in ai servo and stays locked. Prior to the repair it was jumping all over the place. I have no issues with leaving it in ai servo except in low light conditions where one shot gives a quicker lock.

Upvote 0
My 7D Mark II has AF issues or something worse (such as sensor shake) that will make almost every image soft.

I'd say that 90% of the people who bought a 7dm2 know what they're doing, and if the pictures aren't sharp, something is wrong. My 7d2's image sharpness is way below my former 70D and even worse than a compact G1X.

I'm sending mine to warranty after 6 months of extensive shooting and blaming myself for shots being out of focus or just too soft. Since I can't afford to stay without a camera body for several days/weeks I bought myself a 5dm3 and the difference is night and day (i'm talking about daylight ISO100 shots at high shutter speed, the 7dm2 should nail those).

Basically all my shots now (using the 5dm3) are sharp and in focus, and I'm using the exactly same techniques I did with the 7d2. I really hope Canon recognizes the issues and takes the necessary measures to fix whatever is wrong. The firmware does nothing related to this, downloading it will not solve the issues.

I really believe there are many 7dm2 bodies out there with this issue. Check out this portfolio of a friend, her shots are amazing but for most of them it looks like they were took using mobile phone. This is NOT how it should be, there is no excuse for this softness except for a bad focusing or something worse. http://www.viewbug.com/member/lisalawrence

Whoever is blaming the users' technique for poor image quality probably never had a faulty body in their lives. I believe in user error for some shots, but when every damn shot is soft it's definitely something else.

Canon f***ed up badly on this one, this is supposed to be a top notch equipment and this rate of failure is not acceptable. I'm never buying any new cameras like that, from now on I'm waiting at least 6 months for the issues to show up and from there I'll decide if it's worth the purchase or not (7dm2 would be a no-no after some reading).

If I had to guess, I would say there is a major project mistake that causes the sensor to shake and this will cause a minor movement blur in every shot. In addition to that, the AF might have an issue as well caused by a different project mistake.

Upvote 0
Mancubus said:
My 7D Mark II has AF issues or something worse (such as sensor shake) that will make almost every image soft.

I'd say that 90% of the people who bought a 7dm2 know what they're doing, and if the pictures aren't sharp, something is wrong. My 7d2's image sharpness is way below my former 70D and even worse than a compact G1X.

I'm sending mine to warranty after 6 months of extensive shooting and blaming myself for shots being out of focus or just too soft. Since I can't afford to stay without a camera body for several days/weeks I bought myself a 5dm3 and the difference is night and day (i'm talking about daylight ISO100 shots at high shutter speed, the 7dm2 should nail those).

Basically all my shots now (using the 5dm3) are sharp and in focus, and I'm using the exactly same techniques I did with the 7d2. I really hope Canon recognizes the issues and takes the necessary measures to fix whatever is wrong. The firmware does nothing related to this, downloading it will not solve the issues.

I really believe there are many 7dm2 bodies out there with this issue. Check out this portfolio of a friend, her shots are amazing but for most of them it looks like they were took using mobile phone. This is NOT how it should be, there is no excuse for this softness except for a bad focusing or something worse. http://www.viewbug.com/member/lisalawrence

Whoever is blaming the users' technique for poor image quality probably never had a faulty body in their lives. I believe in user error for some shots, but when every damn shot is soft it's definitely something else.

Canon f***ed up badly on this one, this is supposed to be a top notch equipment and this rate of failure is not acceptable. I'm never buying any new cameras like that, from now on I'm waiting at least 6 months for the issues to show up and from there I'll decide if it's worth the purchase or not (7dm2 would be a no-no after some reading).

If I had to guess, I would say there is a major project mistake that causes the sensor to shake and this will cause a minor movement blur in every shot. In addition to that, the AF might have an issue as well caused by a different project mistake.

Well I can say if I had waited 6 months I would have missed out on a great eagle and soccer season and would have had to make due with 5 or 6 fps. Despite having to send it back for repair, I am glad I made the pre-order purchase. I knew what I was potentially getting into by doing that. Canon was quick to resolve the problem and get it back to me at their expense.

There a lot of reasons why images could be soft and there is no doubt that many of them have some kind of factory assembly and/or calibration issue. Did you check the AFMA setting to make sure the camera is matched to the lens? After that if the images are soft, then there could be some problem and a good idea to send it in.

My 7D2 works all as good now as my 5d3 and have actually been using my 5d3 as a backup since I'm well into sports season now.

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
Well I can say if I had waited 6 months I would have missed out on a great eagle and soccer season and would have had to make due with 5 or 6 fps. Despite having to send it back for repair, I am glad I made the pre-order purchase. I knew what I was potentially getting into by doing that. Canon was quick to resolve the problem and get it back to me at their expense.

There a lot of reasons why images could be soft and there is no doubt that many of them have some kind of factory assembly and/or calibration issue. Did you check the AFMA setting to make sure the camera is matched to the lens? After that if the images are soft, then there could be some problem and a good idea to send it in.

My 7D2 works all as good now as my 5d3 and have actually been using my 5d3 as a backup since I'm well into sports season now.

Definitely yes, I can say I'm a master at AFMA. Spent so much time trying to calibrate an 85mm to my old 70D that I know everything about it by heart (turned out that the 85mm had an inconsistent AF that would front/back focus randomly).

Spent also many hours trying to calibrate all my 6 lenses on the 7d2. Every lens needed some adjustment to be focusing properly, but it would only work well in a controlled environment (well lit room, with fluorescent light, distinctive focusing target) and once I took it to the real world the focus would miss quite often. But even on the micro adjustment sessions the image was still soft compared to my previous cameras.

I've read somewhere that only about 1 in every 20 lenses should need some AFMA, at first I thought I was extremely unlucky that all my lenses needed some correction on my 7d2. But with the 5d3 it was just plug and play, my lens are fine with no adjustments just like it should be.

Upvote 0