Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href=""></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>Lots of talk

</strong>There is lots of talk about the successor to the Canon EOS 7D.  For the last 6 months we have written that the EOS 70D would move up rung in features in the EOS lineup, as such the EOS 7D Mark II will be doing the same thing.</p>
<p>We’re told two possible sensors are in play for the EOS 7D Mark II, the 20.2mp sensor in the 70D and a 24.1mp sensor that has yet to see the light of day. If they want separation with the EOS 7D Mark II and to charge a premium for it, I think moving beyond the sensor that will appear in the next Rebel, an EOS M camera and the EOS 70D is a good idea.</p>
<p><strong>When is it coming?

</strong>It will not be shipping before the end of 2013, there is a possibility of an announcement before the year is out, but I’d say that is unlikely at this time. Timing could also depend on what Nikon is going to be doing with the D400. We’ve been told for ages that the EOS 7D Mark II will be an early 2014 camera.</p>
<p>We’re also told that 2 new “pro” bodies will arrive in 2014, and that doesn’t include the EOS 7D Mark II, which will be a pro specced APS-C camera.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
Sabaki said:
I got a question please guys.

Most photographers I know don't put much stock into the number of megapixels, often citing printing size as the sole benefit.

Is this true? Is there really nothing else to megapixels other than printing size?

The ability to crop is (or can be) a biggie. When I am shooting fast moving sports I often give myself a little extra margin in camera knowing that I can crop it later.

Upvote 0
thepancakeman said:
Sabaki said:

Most photographers I know don't put much stock into the number of megapixels, often citing printing size as the sole benefit.

Is this true? Is there really nothing else to megapixels other than printing size?

The ability to crop is (or can be) a biggie. When I am shooting fast moving sports I often give myself a little extra margin in camera knowing that I can crop it later.

Indeed! And with wildlife, small birds, particularly, cropping gets the shot if you don't have a long enough lens.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
viggen61 said:
thepancakeman said:
Sabaki said:

Indeed! And with wildlife, small birds, particularly, cropping gets the shot if you don't have a long enough lens.

This is often said, but rarely backup with proof, mainly because it isn't actually true.

Here is a same generation crop sensor at 100% and a cropped ff sensor upscaled to the same pixel number. Whilst there is a fraction more detail in the 7D image this was a bench test under ideal conditions; using AF, hand holding, higher iso etc, would all level the field. The 7D crop has over twice the pixels the 1Ds MkIII crop has!

Is there a good reason to own a crop camera? Sure, it might have better AF, it is easier to frame as the subject is magnified more in the viewfinder, the image you see is closer to the image you will get etc etc, but there is a mere fraction of difference in actual image resolution and even that small difference isn't realisable in real world shooting.

Attachments

• 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 5,589
Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
viggen61 said:
thepancakeman said:
Sabaki said:

This is often said, but rarely backup with proof, mainly because it isn't actually true.

Here is a same generation crop sensor at 100% and a cropped ff sensor upscaled to the same pixel number. Whilst there is a fraction more detail in the 7D image this was a bench test under ideal conditions; using AF, hand holding, higher iso etc, would all level the field. The 7D crop has over twice the pixels the 1Ds MkIII crop has!

Is there a good reason to own a crop camera? Sure, it might have better AF, it is easier to frame as the subject is magnified more in the viewfinder, the image you see is closer to the image you will get etc etc, but there is a mere fraction of difference in actual image resolution and even that small difference isn't realisable in real world shooting.

Yes, I believe there is! Cost, FPS, preference! I like a camera with a good FPS as I like shooting fast moving subjects. If I were to demand full frame only, then that leaves me very limited to the expensive end of the Canon range, which, for a poor NHS worker like me, is entirely unattainable without selling organs! ;)

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told two possible sensors are in play for the EOS 7D Mark II, the 20.2mp sensor in the 70D and a 24.1mp sensor that has yet to see the light of day.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the 7D2 will have a 16-18 MP sensor. To be honest, I would even prefer a 16 MP 7D2 over a higher res one if this means better high ISO IQ, not to mention speed. After all, the 1Dx and the Nikon D4 are 18 and 16 MP, respectively, and none of their owners complain about this despite being both FF cameras, since both are geared for speed and highest IQ and those are the reasons for purchasing them, apart from build quality. According to rumors, the 7D2 is going to be an APS-C-sized pro body: would you guys complain for the lower res if it had 16 MP along with 2 or more stops better high ISO noise over the current 7D? I wouldn't. 16 MP is already plenty of detail for an APS-C sensor. The ability to crop? I think a 50% cropped 8 MP clean image is always better than an equally cropped 12 MP noisy one. I know I'm going to be criticized for what I'm saying, but hey, that's what I think...

Canon Rumors said:
We’re also told that 2 new “pro” bodies will arrive in 2014, and that doesn’t include the EOS 7D Mark II, which will be a pro specced APS-C camera.

Isn't a pro specced APS-C camera a pro body after all? Why couldn't the 7D2 be one of the two 2014 pro bodies? Weren't the 1D series cams pro bodies, though not FF?

whothafunk said:
and let the "i expect 10fps and 61 point AF blahblah" spam begin.

I expect at least 14 fps and 45 point AF, 61 are maybe too much for APS-C. ;D ;D ;D

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Paramike said:
privatebydesign said:
viggen61 said:
thepancakeman said:
Sabaki said:

Yes, I believe there is! Cost, FPS, preference! I like a camera with a good FPS as I like shooting fast moving subjects. If I were to demand full frame only, then that leaves me very limited to the expensive end of the Canon range, which, for a poor NHS worker like me, is entirely unattainable without selling organs! ;)

Yes, I agree and even listed others, but not one of those has a lick to do with resolution, the most often sited "advantage" to crop cameras.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
Timing could also depend on what Nikon is going to be doing with the D400.

I don't believe a word from anyone who says that Canon is waiting for Nikon to see what they do with the D400. Do these people who spout off statements like that think that even Canon, having their own chip fabs, can conjure up a sensor, firmware, amplifiers, or even a new battery and get it all into a usable, rugged, reasonably bug-free camera body (keeping in mind tolerances are on the order of microns for pro camera bodies) in a matter of weeks? No, the prototyping for a product of that scale takes months, and getting anything even remotely ready for delivery can take a year or two. It's not even a matter of throwing more money and engineers at the problem (at a certain point adding more engineers makes the project unmanageable - a lot of the design for each component is the result of linear thinking).

I don't think they're going to base sensor design on what Nikon does with the D400. If they do that, they are ceding the market to Nikon for the next two years. They might play with announcement and delivery timing (I'd suspect Canon to announce after Nikon and deliver before Nikon since Nikon preannounces way too far in advance) but that's about all the impact Nikon would have on the 7D mk II - if there will be a mk II (I hope there will be).

I see people comment like this all the time: "Canon is holding back the nD waiting to see what Nikon does" or "Nikon is holding the Dn back to see what Canon does first." No, the reality is R&D takes time, and they're each sufficiently successful and have such a strong revenue pipeline that they do. not. have. to. rush. and instead bake the product until it is actually done.

They can crank out rebel after rebel after rebel because for key components they're just drawing from their existing parts bin and forking software projects, with minor tweaks so development and QA efforts are minimal, and offer a huge return for minimal investment. For the XD line (and the XXD) it's a different matter, since those models usually get the sensors, software, and other bleeding-edge components first. That's also why the xD and xxD models cost so much initially - the first unit to roll off the assembly line cost tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to product - the second about half as much, and so on until R&D is fully amortized, enabling Canon (and Nikon) to lower the price, as the sales morph from recovering losses to earning profits. See: amortization.

It's one thing to add a gimmicky articulated screen to a low-end camera body using screens from your parts bin and make a new plastic mold, and tweak sensor designs you borrowed from pro and semi-pro cameras and get the product out in a month or three, and quite another to develop a whole new hardware and software architecture (as well as a fab process, metal casting molds and precision machining tooling with a tolerance of a few microns for a mass-produced product) from the ground up.

If there is ANY truth to Canon basing the product on Nikon's announcement, it would likely be choosing between a selection of workable prototypes that are similar enough that the tooling for parts is already in place for each, or could accommodate minor variances with minimal effort. They're certainly not going to get a whole new chip fab process designed, tested and scaled up for production that quickly.

Upvote 0
candyman said:
but the other will be?.....

Perhaps an update for the video facilities? A PJ would find working video AF valueable, and fullHD@60fps or 4K wouldn't hurt any user group either. Hard to imagine a meaningful update in the low resolution still frame sector. As for 4K - the 70D-sensor now has just enough cells to get a 4K 4:4:4 stream, would be a unique point of sale atm.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.