Canon EOS 7D Mark II listed as discontinued, but no reason for excitement

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A couple of people have written in about the Canon EOS 7D Mark II being listed as discontinued at major retailers. Unfortunately, this is not a sign of an imminent replacement.
While the Canon EOS 7D Mark II body only is indeed discontinued, this was to make room for the Canon EOS 7D Mark II with the W-E1 Wi-Fi adapter, which has taken the place of the EOS 7D Mark II body only purchase option.
So while a Canon EOS 7D Mark III is coming, we don’t think we’ll see it for at least another  6 months. We haven’t received any suggestions of a replacement being imminent.
Canon EOS 7D Mark II buying options at Adorama

Continue reading...

It is a sign. The end of dSLR's and the rise of the mirror-less. The end is near.
DSLR's dead Jim
It's really not.

Firstly, as some people may remember, the original 7D was set as "discontinued" four months before the announcement of the 7DmkIII; the 24-105 f/4L was set as "discontinued" 18 months before the 24-105 mkII was announced. A product being listed as "discontinued", even with no replacement directly in sight, does not automatically mean the end of anything.

Secondly, when it comes to the 7D series, mirrorless is not yet in a position to replace it. The Sony α9 and Fujifilm X-T3 have gotten the speed in place, but they still fall behind in durability and battery life. The 7D, 1D, D8xx, D5xx, and Dx series of bodies by Canon and Nikon will have a purpose for existing as long as it takes for mirrorless to catch up in battery life and durability. That the current fast mirrorless cameras also only achieve their speeds with various combinations of rolling shutter, lower resolution/further cropping, and/or generally compromising on IQ is another factor.

Third and finally, SLR as a whole still has about ~5 more years left in it. It's still what the factories are all geared up to crank out;l that alone will mean entry-level systems will stick to SLR designs. Just as the switch from film to digital was not overnight, the switch from SLR to mirrorless will also take a few more years. (Remember, digital photography first entered the market in the early 90s...)
Realistically, the next 5 years will be a transition period as mirrorless catches up to the extremes that SLRs are used to and factories are retooled for the new style of product. Then there will be another 5 years or so where the top and bottom SLRs (e.g. 1DX and 2000D) remain relevant and supported. All-in-all, it's going to be roughly 10 years (8 at least, 12 at most) before SLR is "dead".

This is, if anything, simply a sign that Canon knows the 7DmkII is outdated and no longer selling enough to justify making more units. Whether that means the end of the 7D line (extremely unlikely), a merger with the xxD line (quite possible), or gearing up for a direct replacement (most likely), nobody can say; simply discontinuing one body doesn't tell us much.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Well the 7D II is still an excellent performer despite its age. I might be tempted to pick one up this holiday season if Canon rolls out some absurdly good Black Friday deals for it.
There are a lot of mixed feelings about the 7D2 - maybe more than any other DSLR currently in production. Some people do feel, as you say, that it is an excellent performer. Other people, myself included, feel it is a terrible performer. I bought one new several months ago, used it twice, and sold it at a huge loss. It was just not sharp. I don't mean as in image shake or the point of focus was off, I mean the whole image had a kind of hazy quality. On my second (and last) use of it I was photographing elk at close range and I kept looking at the screen and thinking something is not right. Thankfully I had a trusty 5D4 body so I put the lens on it and instant sharpness. Even when I reviewed images on computer later it was clear the 7D2 images were unusable. Honestly a Rebel would have been sharper. My cousin (who has had one for a few years) sent his back to Canon early on for same issue (and they told him nothing is wrong). Several other photogaphers on various forums report focus issues as well. But then again others as you say claim it is great. So if anyone has one and loves it that's great, I have not tested them extensively enough to give a truly objective opinion, I am just sharing my experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There are a lot of mixed feelings about the 7D2 - maybe more than any other DSLR currently in production. Some people do feel, as you say, that it is an excellent performer. Other people, myself included, feel it is a terrible performer. I bought one new several months ago, used it twice, and sold it at a huge loss. It was just not sharp. I don't mean as in image shake or the point of focus was off, I mean the whole image had a kind of hazy quality. On my second (and last) use of it I was photographing elk at close range and I kept looking at the screen and thinking something is not right. Thankfully I had a trusty 5D4 body so I put the lens on it and instant sharpness. Even when I reviewed images on computer later it was clear the 7D2 images were unusable. Honestly a Rebel would have been sharper. My cousin (who has had one for a few years) sent his back to Canon early on for same issue (and they told him nothing is wrong). Several other photogaphers on various forums report focus issues as well. But then again others as you say claim it is great. So if anyone has one and loves it that's great, I have not tested them extensively enough to give a truly objective opinion, I am just sharing my experience.

My feelings exactly. I replaced a 60D with the 7DII and it felt like a complete lateral move as far as image quality goes -and with an actual reduction of "in focus" photos. Granted over the nearly three years I owned it I did get SOME decent shots but we would always return from a vacation and I would be disappointment with the VERY small % of acceptable ones. I even went down that long dark rabbit hole of continually trying to microadjust various lenses to see if that was where the problems were. . . But when I replaced it with my 5D IV, it felt like I was leaping two, if not three, generations ahead at once.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Probably is a sign the 7DIII is on the way.
I have a love / hate relationship with the 7DII.
I think its the sensor I don't like.
I find scenes often look sharp as tack in the viewfinder but not so clear in the photo.
I think its too many pixels crammed on the sensor.
I find it poor at high ISO.
It will be interesting if they put much effort into the 7D III.
I'd suspect it won't be much of an upgrade.
Mirrored is dying out.
It would be great if they went out with one last hurrah for a mirrored APS-C.
12 FPS would be great and good ISO performing sensor

Upvote 0
I had no troubles with my 7DM2. I'm using it with decent
APS-C glass by Canon: 18-135mm IS STM, 17-55mm IS 2.8, 10-18mm IS STM and 28mm F2.8 IS full frame and 75-300mm IS.

This is just my anecdotal experience. I don't fiddle around with the "AF Cases".

I find image quality good to very good comparing it to my 6D, SL1, Fuji X100 and Nikon D600.

It's definitely the most responsive of the bunch and the only one I have used in payed gigs. I know it won't fail me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Well the 7D II is still an excellent performer despite its age. I might be tempted to pick one up this holiday season if Canon rolls out some absurdly good Black Friday deals for it.

really? The 7D M2 should have been replaced a year ago (if not sooner). I have one and have tried the Nikon D500 and IMO the D500 is clearly better

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Image quality aside, in what areas is the d500 better?
Deeper Frame buffer, better video and better memory card format support. In terms of usability both 7d2 and D500 are quite equal.
Also I dont get why people are complaining about AF issues on 7D2, I regularly use the 7D2 and dont have any problems getting good sharp photos(will share few photos in a while when I get my Pc)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Read the article...... They no longer sell the 7D2, they now sell the 7D2 plus wireless adapter....
Here i Denmark at the official Canon website, already in may they were only selling the combination of 7D2 with adapter was on offer. Without wifi adapter card must have been quite some time ago on offer by the canon main site.. I might just mean that they have too many adapters cards they need to sell.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com

The 7d2 was a lame, dead duck when it was released, and is even more old hat, "useless" trash now. The sensor is UTTERLY ABYSMAL, and that was it for me. I tested it the first week it was on the market, and I still hate it..disgusting nightime pictures with terrible dynamic range that is easily beaten by an M1. I despise the 7d2 more than the 6d2 though...that one is a true, canon wasnt even trying 2k$ stinker.

You would be far better off with a used 5d3. The 5d3 is still a beast, no fancy gizmos or functions, just raw shooting, reliable full frame goodness. But yeah, let that old trash die.

Sony is about to drop a super aspc model.....they probably designed it at a 7d2 roasting party. And canon will again have no answer. Pathetic.

Upvote 0