Canon EOS 7D Mark II listed as discontinued, but no reason for excitement

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
The 7d2 was a lame, dead duck when it was released, and is even more old hat, "useless" trash now. The sensor is UTTERLY ABYSMAL, and that was it for me. I tested it the first week it was on the market, and I still hate it..disgusting nightime pictures with terrible dynamic range that is easily beaten by an M1. I despise the 7d2 more than the 6d2 though...that one is a true, canon wasnt even trying 2k$ stinker.

You would be far better off with a used 5d3. The 5d3 is still a beast, no fancy gizmos or functions, just raw shooting, reliable full frame goodness. But yeah, let that old trash die.

Sony is about to drop a super aspc model.....they probably designed it at a 7d2 roasting party. And canon will again have no answer. Pathetic.

Wow dont hold back... lol

I think its hilarious how people get so emotionally invested in a tool. If it doesn't work for you then move on.

My thoughts are that the sensor wasn't amazing but it wasn't awful either. If you work within its limitations you can get some great images, if you consistently use it out of its range then of course you will be disappointed. My main gripe with the 7DMKII is that the AF was inconsistent and there are good and bad copy's. Many people that have had AF issues also didn't use its AF settings correctly and a lot of soft images came from the AF release settings specifically. Most leave it to the default of shutter priority over focus priority meaning a lot of shots dont quite nail focus but the shutter will fire leaving soft images.

I dont think its a problem with sharpness as such but the AF system does hit inconsistently. When it hit... it hit and images looked great. I bought one as a sports camera and also took it traveling take to Africa and south east asia for a 6 months and I took it to some brutal places, deep in the rainforests with 100% humidity, deserts, national parks etc and it performed exactly how I wanted it too. Even up to 6400ISO.

Feel free to have a look at these.

Fish Eagle, Chobe National Park, Botswana by Tom Scott, on Flickr

6400ISO in GUNUNG LEUSER NATIONAL PARK

12063840_940234292741921_108377265432715580_n.jpg

12042715_940235212741829_7367593665793526487_n.jpg

6400ISO in Bwindi National park uganda

12745500_922632721168745_6903968773141554161_n.jpg

12745500_922632857835398_373546764877153799_n.jpg

4000ISO out of an aeroplane, okavango delta botswana

12823367_932275603537790_434314724489087477_o.jpg

Desert Giraffes in Namibia
13641106_1008260599272623_1560438046010668706_o.jpg

Decent light
12801591_929073140524703_101215224170606745_n.jpg

1278789_929073223858028_6229221116935951044_o.jpg

Comodo island indonesia
13119876_962232860542064_1506952461387781308_o.jpg

South luangua national park
13220534_975521272546556_3492505544899635791_o.jpg

I also shoot Motorsport professionally and have had great success with it.

N0. 78 1965 2.0 Porsche 911 Classic GT Cars (pre '66) Silverstone Classics 2016 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

No.27 Nissan R91CK (1991) (Nova Engineering) Silverstone Classics 2016 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Jaguar - Art of Performance Tour by Tom Scott, on Flickr

As I said the right tool for the right job it was great for the above but I always preferred my 5DMKIII to it but for wildlife and motorsport you cant beat the rate it shoots. Outside these areas where speed is not critical I probably would buy something else in canons line up. Its a niche tool in my mind that in the right hands can create great images. It does a few things really well but others not so.

Same with the 6DMKII it was blasted at launch yet anyone that has owns it really enjoys shooting with it. The 5DMKIII I also found frustrating with its muddy shadows and banding with very little lifts. The 6DMKII fixes both of these as long as you arent pulling 5 stops which is ridiculous and has almost the same dynamic range. The 6DMKII fixed all the issues I had with the 5DMKIII. Unless its the twin card slots you need I think the 6DMKII is a far better camera in terms of IQ. I had 2 5DMKIIIs for 5 years and shot over a million images with them and I was very pleased with the 6DMKII in comparison.

As a side note in real life shooting and lifting shadows with the 6DMKII

Melanistic Fallow Deer, Dunham Massey, Cheshire out of camera by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Melanistic Fallow Deer, Dunham Massey, Cheshire by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Of course the 5DMKIV is the best of the bunch. Crop still has its place and the 7DMKII is the only camera in a standard body size that shoots 10fps. I just dont like the 1DX body and I dont like how limited in terms of resolution you are in a body so expensive.

There are compromises to be made. Its a reason there is a camera line up.

Its all well and good sony appealing to the masses with a one camera does all but you compromise on build quality, weather resistance, dedicated lenses and most importantly size and ergonomics. I cant use any of the sony cameras as my hands are too big and its painful to use for a few hours let alone 10-14 hours for weddings etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Great images @tomscott

I get amazing wildlife and moving object images using long lenses on my 80D. (with 70-300L & Sigma 150-600). As long as I don't have to bump up the ISO to extremes I can get amazing results that can make beautiful prints.
I may consider the 7D3, but I know for a fact I would never get rid of this 80D as it performs so well.
Same with the 6D2, I totally enjoy using this camera too. Both these camera's work perfect for me for what I do.

Those I know that own the 7D2 have all said it took them a bit to get used to the focusing system and they eventually totally customized the focusing settings etc., to fit their style and the lenses they were using. I've never used the 7D2 but It sounds to me it's not a camera one can just pick up and shoot away with and get 100% great results without getting used to it first. (like most cameras).

From the many image samples I've seen from those that are used to and shoot the 7D2 on a regular basis, they look absolutely amazing. The 7D2 is not a piece of junk like some are claiming .....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bobby

5D IV
Sep 8, 2018
Read the article...... They no longer sell the 7D2, they now sell the 7D2 plus wireless adapter....

Right. Do we have any information on whether the 7D2 plus wireless adapter has a new SKU? From a business perspective, a new SKU usually isn't created unless the "new" product remains on sale for at least 8-12 months. So this might be bad news unless Canon wants to sell both a 7D2 and a 7D3 at the same time. A new SKU would quite possibly mean that we won't see a 7D3 for at least another 8-12 months (probably more like 12+ months).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Here are few examples shot using 7D mk2 and I really dont see what the fuss is about this 4 year old camera its a tool that gets the job done. Though for macro it's quite heavy and I prefer something of the size of EOS 70D/80D.

Common krait by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

Common krait by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

_Z7A5780 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

_Z7A5748 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

_Z7A5752 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

_Z7A5767 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

_T0A8519 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

_T0A8512 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my experience people who complain about the 7D MARK II either don't understand it's purpose or lack the photographic competence to operate it properly. It's not for everybody and it's one of the more difficult cameras in Canon's current line to acheive good results with but it excels at what it was built for. I've owned every version of the 5D and my current primary is a 1Dx Mark II but I still shoot with the 7D2 and wouldn't hesitate to display it's images. The AF throws up a clunker every now and again but so do most cameras AF systems.If you can shoot without having to do additional crop in post the IQ is generally indistinguishable from full frame under most normal viewing conditions. It's not my favorite sensor for pixel peeping but for electronic display or reasonably sized prints it's fine.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
In my experience people who complain about the 7D MARK II either don't understand it's purpose or lack the photographic competence to operate it properly. It's not for everybody and it's one of the more difficult cameras in Canon's current line to acheive good results with but it excels at what it was built for. I've owned every version of the 5D and my current primary is a 1Dx Mark II but I still shoot with the 7D2 and wouldn't hesitate to display it's images. The AF throws up a clunker every now and again but so do most cameras AF systems.If you can shoot without having to do additional crop in post the IQ is generally indistinguishable from full frame under most normal viewing conditions. It's not my favorite sensor for pixel peeping but for electronic display or reasonably sized prints it's fine.
Well said!

Also, when it came out it was considered to be the best sealed camera in the Canon lineup.... better than even the 1DX! If you need a camera for rough conditions, it is a tank!

Upvote 0
it seems pretty clear that without a named 7DIII successor that it could very well likely be the M5 Mk II - rumored as being one of the two new ASP-C mirrorless coming in 1H2019 - will fill in this spot. Or maybe a M7 for the high end. The M5, essentially a mirrorless 80D for the most part, would with modest enhancements make a 7DIII quite useless. Of course, Canon is notorious for putting needless variations on a theme out there but they really should restrain themselves and do with less lines and pass the savings to provide more features (better sensor, dual card slots) or a competitive price point to compensate for stated, well-known deficiencies (e.g. dynamic range).

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Image quality aside, in what areas is the d500 better?

without question, AF. The AF in the 7DM2 is not as good as the AF in the 1Dx M2. I compared my 1Dx M2 with Canon 200-400 to a Nikon D500 with a sigma 150-600 lens on a fliying raptor shoot. I got more keepers with the Nikon / Sigma combination

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com

That's a convinient way of limiting your ability/will to comprehend others discontent with that body. And, 'fine' is not a great way to sell anything to anyone. Why not just say, it's aiiiiiight;)

There is nothing anyone can say in regards to it being a 'good' sensor. It was outclassed on arrival - that's a fact, no feelings need get involved. To the wildlife photog showing his pics: in the right conditions you can get nice pictures on anything, so let's leave that relatively basic thinking out also. I think we are more technically inclined on these forums. I'm giving you guys that credit in the spirit of friendly argument/conversation.

That said, I was a supreme lover of the 7dmk1, took it around the world, until it self destructed. All it needed was a better sensor. And they failed. The rest of the camera...pretty sweet, one of the best I've ever used (as far as canon goes.) However, the sensor is the heart of the camera, features be damned. My old classic T2i still shreds in image quality, especially when paired with my 70-200 2.8. Over the years i still pixel peep (and proud!) and just am amazed what that lil cam can do.

The two cameras ive ever had the displeasure of editing thier files were the 7dmk2 and the M3. Yuck and yuck.

I'll just leave the (n)6d2 (n)and it's hobbled sensor crap:poop: for another discussion... that one REALLY grinds my gears, because it's dumbing down was so blatant, it deserved a razzie. That body is an FU to canon customers, plain and simple. :mad:

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Just because you can get great pictures from the 7D M2 (or any camera) that does not prove anything - other under the correct conditions the camera can delivery.

The 7D M2 is not useless nor is it state of the art. Rather IMO the 7D M2 lacks certain features such as the ability to track BIF well (when compared to the 1DX M2 or the D500). From my observation, Canon tends to scale down functionality in their lower priced bodies while Nikon does not (at least not as much).

Again my observations: AF is better in the D850 and D500 (when compared to the D5) than the 7D M2 is when compared to the 1Dx M2. In other words, Canon dumbed down the AF more than Nikon. I would pay more for a cropped body if it had better features. I would like to 1Dx w/ APS-C or APS-H sensor.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
This is, if anything, simply a sign that Canon knows the 7DmkII is outdated and no longer selling enough to justify making more units. Whether that means the end of the 7D line (extremely unlikely), a merger with the xxD line (quite possible), or gearing up for a direct replacement (most likely), nobody can say; simply discontinuing one body doesn't tell us much.

Actually, it means very little.

Canon sold the 7D2 as a stand alone body, and they sold it as a body with the WiFi card. Now they just sell the bundle with the WiFi card. The camera is not discontinued, and this says nothing about if or when a replacement is coming, nor does it say anything about mirrorless....

All it says is that it makes no sense to carry a separate stock item when it is offered in a bundle for the same price....

If you think in automotive terms, this is like Toyota offering a Corolla, or a Corolla with a set of spare tires, at the same price...... And then the public saying that Toyota is doomed because nobody is buying the version without the spare tires....

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Upvote 0
The 7D Mark II predates the 1DX Mark II by nearly two years so how is that a fair comparison? It's AF was based on tech from the original 1DX and in 2014 was the best BIF tracking camera that I had ever used. Is it showing it's age? Sure. But in 2014 and in 2018 it's still the best feature per dollar camera in Canon's line-up. You are free to hate it if you want but I find it to be a fundamentally excellent camera and the endlessly uninformed trolling on it is tiresome.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
without question, AF. The AF in the 7DM2 is not as good as the AF in the 1Dx M2. I compared my 1Dx M2 with Canon 200-400 to a Nikon D500 with a sigma 150-600 lens on a fliying raptor shoot. I got more keepers with the Nikon / Sigma combination
A big slow flying raptor? I couldn't even hand hold a 1DXII + 200-400mm for BIF so I am impressed you got any keepers.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
A big slow flying raptor? I couldn't even hand hold a 1DXII + 200-400mm for BIF so I am impressed you got any keepers.
This is a good segway into what is probably the most important factor for BIF..... the person holding the camera!

It takes a lot of practice to hold a camera and smoothly follow a bird..... plus, some people are stronger than others, some people are smoother, some are better at anticipating the action, a some have faster reaction time. We all have varying amounts of each, and this makes comparison of different cameras for different people fraught with peril. Then throw in a complex AF system that also takes time to learn and see what happens....

There are other factors at play too... For example, I can take better loon pictures than most people, and it has very little to do with my gear or photographic skill.... It is mostly my ability as a canoeist and my ability to predict movement patterns and then sit quietly and wait..... from a few feet away, you could get great pictures with a phone.

I will get lots of good geese pictures this fall.... mostly because I have a hunting blind near where they like to raft up in the fall, and the two most important pieces of gear are a comfy chair and a good book while I wait.... yet another factor that has nothing to do with the camera or lenses....

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
By all accounts the predictive tracking on the Nikon's is very good. Nikon's strategy is to turn most of the control of the autofocus over to the camera which is fine as long as you agree with the camera about where to focus.

Canon's method requires that the photographer be constantly engaged with managing the autofocus and selecting individual focus points with the joystick. Canon's method is certainly more work and a lot less elegant but that doesn't mean that it isn't effective. I find that once my Canon's are locked on a target they stay locked on and track fine. If something goes wrong it's usually my fault not the cameras.

Personally, I prefer the additional level of control that Canon offers but I can certainly see why some people prefer Nikon's.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012

thanks it is challenging to hand hold - but I use a Wimberley most of the time. When I was in Japan shooting Stellar Eagles from a boat, i hand held and got a number of good keepers.

Upvote 0
Funny how no one has mentioned that the 7DII has basically the same body
and button layout
as the 5DIII and 5DIV. They weight and feel almost exactly the same.

For a working pro, this is important. Every second counts. No time fiddling around
changing lenses or worse yet, digging into menus. I've seen a good number
of professionals with an L-prime on their 5DIII and a 70--200 telephoto on their 7DII.

Agains this is just anecdotal, but I can see the value in this consistency.

Upvote 0