Canon EOS 7D Mark II Speculation [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=16725"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=16725">Tweet</a></div>
<p>Below are some points sent to me by someone who says they have spoken to a person who has shot with the EOS 7D Mark II. Some of the points are a bit vague, but could bring about better information in the near future.</p>
<p>This is the first I’ve heard about a megapixel count being “quite high”, It has been expected the camera would be around 24mp.</p>
<p>Below is a direct quote of what we were told.</p>
<ul>
<li>Quite high MP count</li>
<li>Vastly improved AF performance</li>
<li>Greatly improved low light and ISO/noise performance</li>
<li>Potentially a different sensor and/or technology than expected</li>
<li>Good price point</li>
<li>Very close to ‘pro’ classification, but non-compete with flagship such as 1dx</li>
<li>Release by Fall season as expected</li>
<li>Canon holding back 7Dmk2 for a reason. I suspect 100-400 mk2 announcement, or some other coinciding situation.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">c</span>r</strong></p>

Canon Rumors said:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=16725"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=16725">Tweet</a></div>
<p>Below are some points sent to me by someone who says they have spoken to a person who has shot with the EOS 7D Mark II. Some of the points are a bit vague, but could bring about better information in the near future.</p>
<p>This is the first I’ve heard about a megapixel count being “quite high”, It has been expected the camera would be around 24mp.</p>
<p>Below is a direct quote of what we were told.</p>
<ul>
<li>Quite high MP count</li>
<li>Vastly improved AF performance</li>
<li>Greatly improved low light and ISO/noise performance</li>
<li>Potentially a different sensor and/or technology than expected</li>
<li>Good price point</li>
<li>Very close to ‘pro’ classification, but non-compete with flagship such as 1dx</li>
<li>Release by Fall season as expected</li>
<li>Canon holding back 7Dmk2 for a reason. I suspect 100-400 mk2 announcement, or some other coinciding situation.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">c</span>r</strong></p>

This sounds more like a list that is not realistic but makes all the wishes of 7D users come true... ::)
But if it should be correct, I would guess on:
-24 MP sensor, although I could imagine some kind of foveon technology...
-a new AF System (I don't think there was any case in which an APS-C camera adopted an AF System from a FF)
-maybe 1/2 to 1 stop max. improvement in high ISO
-1999€/$
That would certainly be a dream camera for a lot of People, released together with the 100-400 II...

But I follow timcz in not believing anything until I see it with my own eyes... :p

Upvote 0
I would like to believe this, but at this point it seems more like a wishlist than anything else.
If someone were to design a 7D mkII in a vacuum I think this description would be what goes into the camera.

Canon Rumors said:
Canon holding back 7Dmk2 for a reason. I suspect 100-400 mk2 announcement, or some other coinciding situation.

Is this Canon Rumors suspecting the 100-400 mkII announcement or is this the direct quote from the source?

Upvote 0
lol said:
Random speculation on my part: I wonder if a higher than expected MP count could be somehow related to some successor to the dual pixel AF system?

That was the first thought I had as well. If I remember correctly (and it's more likely than not that I don't), I believe there were rumors of a 40mp sensor for the 70D which really just turned out to be a 20mp camera with split photodiodes.

I wonder if this is another DPAF sensor, or perhaps TPAF or QPAF or like someone else mentioned, a Foveon like sensor.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
ajfotofilmagem said:
These two points seem antagonic:

*Quite high MP count
*Greatly improved low light and ISO / noise performance

Those are NOT opposed to each other! At the same final size, more pixels on the same size sensor will produce LESS noise at the same final level of detail, not more (this myth got started because of comparing at 1:1 rather than constant final size and detail level). The only exception is at very extreme ISOs up into the 6 digit range.

Upvote 0
Jackson_Bill said:
Lee Jay said:
ajfotofilmagem said:

*Quite high MP count

Those are NOT opposed to each other! At the same final size, more pixels on the same size sensor will produce LESS noise at the same final level of detail, not more (this myth got started because of comparing at 1:1 rather than constant final size and detail level). The only exception is at very extreme ISOs up into the 6 digit range.

Cue jrista...
:)

;D ;D

Upvote 0
Correction: This point seems contradictory:
Canon Rumors said:
  • Quite high MP count
  • Vastly improved AF performance
  • Greatly improved low light and ISO/noise performance
  • Potentially a different sensor and/or technology than expected
  • Good price point
  • Very close to ‘pro’ classification, but non-compete with flagship such as 1dx
  • Release by Fall season as expected
  • Canon holding back 7Dmk2 for a reason. I suspect 100-400 mk2 announcement, or some other coinciding situation.
One of these kids is doing his own thing...

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
What is it with the "more megapixels"? This is a camera for action and wildlife photographers, not for landscape photographers. The landscape photographers already have a decent camera in the 6D, and might like something with a few more MP, to take advantage of the ever-increasing quality of lenses. The action/wildlife photographers want "more throughput (fps and buffer depth).

Someone at the camera club meeting last night pestered the local camera shop representative about the "7D2". Hey, everyone is in the dark, including the CR1 and CR2 sources.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
TrabimanUK said:
alexzaidan said:
I spoke to someone who said that their brother's mother's cousin's ex-boyfriend's lover said that it would come in pink.

Pink? What's the point of that? At least white would lean towards arctic camouflage ;)

Pink would provide camouflage among the herd of unicorns where the 7DII is found.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
*Quite high MP count
I think those who want low noise at ISO100 should buy D800. The mythical 7D Mark ii is supposed to be a fast-action camera, which usually need to use ISO1600 at least. I'm sure the target audience of 7D Mark ii has more interest in ISO6400 with acceptable noise.

Upvote 0