Canon EOS 80D Announced

dilbert said:
From dpreview on the 80D focusing systems:

Our brief time with the 80D, on the other hand, left us very impressed. You can select your subject by tapping on it, and then as long as you keep the shutter half-depressed, the camera will quickly track your subject in all three dimensions to keep it in focus - no matter where it moves to within the frame. This means your subject tends to already be in focus when you're ready to take your shot and depress the shutter button. The camera even continues to focus in continuous drive at 5 fps.

Oddly, the much higher-end Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, skimps on this feature, only offering single AF in Live View. Previous iterations of Dual Pixel AF in the 70D and 7D Mark II also did not offer continuous AF.

This sounds really cool for live view autofocus. Someone thought about it and seems to have gotten it right.

That does sound really good.
So now the DPAF tech has truly reached maturity.
Canon, time to put it in a M body !

Upvote 0
Nininini said:
Sporgon said:
It really does make me wonder what will be needed to keep the FF bandwagon rolling at current prices, at least within the vast hobbyist market.

Full frame hasn't been for regular hobbyists in a long long time.

The 6D is from 2012, and I have strong doubts this line will ever get updated by Canon.

Full frame does still attract an older non-pro crowd with a lot of disposable income, they buy pro cameras without being professionals.

But cameras like the 1DX and 5D are purely targeting professionals at this point. Just because some hobbyists buy them doesn't mean they're the audience for them, they're not, the audience are sports photographers and reporters who make up the lion's share of the sales.

I completely disagree with this. The 1dx i/ii maybe, but definitely not the 5D line. There are tons of hobbyists using this.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Chisox2335 said:
Nininini said:
Sporgon said:
It really does make me wonder what will be needed to keep the FF bandwagon rolling at current prices, at least within the vast hobbyist market.

Full frame hasn't been for regular hobbyists in a long long time.

The 6D is from 2012, and I have strong doubts this line will ever get updated by Canon.

Full frame does still attract an older non-pro crowd with a lot of disposable income, they buy pro cameras without being professionals.

But cameras like the 1DX and 5D are purely targeting professionals at this point. Just because some hobbyists buy them doesn't mean they're the audience for them, they're not, the audience are sports photographers and reporters who make up the lion's share of the sales.

I completely disagree with this. The 1dx i/ii maybe, but definitely not the 5D line. There are tons of hobbyists using this.

Exactly.

Upvote 0
My biggest concern is that they solved the moiré in video or not.

This "tech demo" video issued by Canon looks promising. Look at the fence in the first half of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BCxpL8wfHU

What's your opinion? I mean those having both 5D3 and 70D and knowing how it'd act in the same situation.

Oh, yeah, and HDR videos in FHD/30fps!!!

Upvote 0
Re: It seems Pentax K-1 is better choice

sharkas said:
I'm a Canon funboy. 5D mk3, D550, some L-optics.
But I see Pentax K-1 full frame camera (36Mpix) for $1.8K. Wow!

Who needs D80 for $1.2K ???
Where is 6D mk2 ?
Canon 5D mk4 will have 28MPix ? Good buy Canon.

Does pentax have any 'good' glass ? , I don't see pentax lenses reviewed/measured much.

But 1.8K$ at introduction for a full frame camera with such features (36mp (native iso 200k? ::) ) ,good sealing, 5axis in body stab. pixel shift , astrotracker/tracer , On paper advanced autofocus(for a pentax)) could be good for everyone , maybe we get to see some price drops

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
The magnification of FF is invariably smaller, not larger, than that of APS-C. The 5DIII has, for example 0.76, whereas the 7DII 1.0. This means in practice that using a 50mm lens and object looks 76% life size on a 5DIII and lifesize on a 7DII. With a 400mm lens, the 5DIII is like a 6x 'scope whereas the 7DII combo is 8x. This isn't just my calculations, I've checked it out.

The 5D3 has 0.71x magnification. The 1DX/1DX2/1Ds3 are the ones with 0.76x magnification.

Upvote 0
RickWagoner said:
great thing about the 27 af points at f8 is that it gives a entry level first time SLR birder an option of using a tele (that works with efs) and the 55-250 stm ($99-$149) at an extremely low entrance price with a focal equivalent of 560mm. Won't be the fastest nor best optic but for a few hundred bucks and getting that reach with 27 af points is not bad.

27 af points of which 9 are cross-type @ f8...bonus ;)

Still can't find any info regarding AFMA on the 80D, my wallet wants to know... ;D

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
raptor3x said:
AlanF said:
The magnification of FF is invariably smaller, not larger, than that of APS-C. The 5DIII has, for example 0.76, whereas the 7DII 1.0. This means in practice that using a 50mm lens and object looks 76% life size on a 5DIII and lifesize on a 7DII. With a 400mm lens, the 5DIII is like a 6x 'scope whereas the 7DII combo is 8x. This isn't just my calculations, I've checked it out.

The 5D3 has 0.71x magnification. The 1DX/1DX2/1Ds3 are the ones with 0.76x magnification.

That was corrected earlier today - please read the whole thread before posting comments!

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
H. Jones said:
So with this new 45-point all cross-type focus system, I can totally see Canon putting that into a 6D mark II. Totally usable for weddings/landscapes, and yet not quite 5D mark III level, which would preserve the 5D Mark IV if it picks up the 61-point system from the 1Dx Mark II.

I hope, I hope, I hope...

This does get me excited for a 6D2!

Upvote 0
carlosmeldano said:
My biggest concern is that they solved the moiré in video or not.

This "tech demo" video issued by Canon looks promising. Look at the fence in the first half of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BCxpL8wfHU

What's your opinion? I mean those having both 5D3 and 70D and knowing how it'd act in the same situation.

Oh, yeah, and HDR videos in FHD/30fps!!!

I agree ... no moire and aliasing in video and I'll buy one.
I also hope that it offers 1:1 video cropping in the center of the sensor.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
PhotographyFirst said:
If the new sensor has great low ISO DR, I wonder when Canon will get around to releasing some better APS-C landscape lenses. The 10-22 is a little slow, soft at 10mm, and has wicked bad CA.

I would like to see a new 10-22 at f2.8 at least, along with something similar to the Sigma 8-16, which is really wide and actually pretty damn good optically even at 8mm.

If you don't mind 3rd party I was a big fan of the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. I think that can be had for a song now, maybe as low as $300 new? I think they even have a newer 11-20 f/2.8 these days.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
dilbert said:
From dpreview on the 80D focusing systems:

Our brief time with the 80D, on the other hand, left us very impressed. You can select your subject by tapping on it, and then as long as you keep the shutter half-depressed, the camera will quickly track your subject in all three dimensions to keep it in focus - no matter where it moves to within the frame. This means your subject tends to already be in focus when you're ready to take your shot and depress the shutter button. The camera even continues to focus in continuous drive at 5 fps.

Oddly, the much higher-end Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, skimps on this feature, only offering single AF in Live View. Previous iterations of Dual Pixel AF in the 70D and 7D Mark II also did not offer continuous AF.

This sounds really cool for live view autofocus. Someone thought about it and seems to have gotten it right.

I mentioned this in the other (20+ page) thread about the 80D. I think this may be the most significant piece. Canon is now closing the gap from their already stellar PDAF AI servo/tracking to having the capability in a liveview mode with DPAF. This means they have the technical capabilities (or at least it would appear so) to release a mirrorless camera that still maintains the relatively high Canon standard for sports, wildlife, action, etc.

Upvote 0
canuckerfan said:
it looks like it has AFMA. the Canon swedish website has it listed:

http://www.canon.se/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/eos-80d/specification.aspx#fokusering
That is great. Looks like same sensor design as big brother. There is a more chance of seeing some kind of DR tests with 80D. Canon continues to give latest DPAF tech to XXD model. Do we really need focus peaking which all Sony trolls brings up here. Wherever you touch on screen, it is going to be in focus 100%. I remember trying something like with ML on t3i. Never bothered to install it with 70d.

Upvote 0