Canon EOS 80D, PowerShot G7 X II, SX720 HS & EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Coming Shortly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2013
P95 said:
thetechhimself said:
If they can do 8FPS @ 20MP with a lower clocked DIGIC7, they can do the rumored 8FPS @ 24MP (or more) on a higher clocked DIGIC7 that would be present in the Pro-M, upcoming later this year... Check next to that rumor... I'd say that rumor of 8FPS+ is valid, wonderful, I knew they'd get there, eventually.

Happy for the G7X users, that 1FPS per second RAW was a real crap shoot for the G series power shots...

Also strong probability of UHS-II, although not mentioned in the specs as 8FPS @ 20MP is greater than 95mb/sec of UHS-I

It says 8FPS but it doesn't state whether it is in jpg or RAW. So it could possibly still be 1FPS in RAW. Because you know they're talking about the jpgs being 8FPS.

the original rumor was stated it was for both.

as far as the RX100 III comment.. huh? wtf .. the III has a smaller ranged lens (24-70), no touchscreen, etc,etc,etc. the only thing it has going for it is a tiny evf that you have to wedge your face into a tiny camera to see through.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
docsmith said:
As I am wanting a pocketable camera, I am excited about the G7X II. Either it has new impressive specs/features and I'll look closely at it or hopefully it will drive down the price of the G7X, which from all I can tell is a good camera with an issue with the corners at 24 mm.

it will be interesting to see if they did improve the lens. if they did .. then with 8fps in raw, i just may get one 8fps is nice for AEB and also superrezzing.

Upvote 0
The Digital Lens Optimizer feature is associated with Digital Photo Professional - according to the Canon KB page. To my mind this means it is similar to the Lens Correction profiles found in Adobe Camera Raw. Could Canon be planning to make DPP more Lightroom like?

I am currently shooting with a 60D. I have been very happy with it, save for the peeling rubber grip (not bad enough to replace the grip yet). The pixel count would have to be at least 24MB for me to jump. I know there will be some sticker shock with the 80D with the low Canadian dollar.

The new 18-135 lens might be popular with some shooters, but I love my 15-85. Maybe a 15-105 would make a nice choice.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
colinu said:
The Digital Lens Optimizer feature is associated with Digital Photo Professional - according to the Canon KB page. To my mind this means it is similar to the Lens Correction profiles found in Adobe Camera Raw. Could Canon be planning to make DPP more Lightroom like?
umm no. and DLO has been in DPP for years now.

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany
douglaurent said:
Hooray! More Full HD cameras coming from Canon, like it's 2008! Probably in one year each phone will have outperformed Canon's video quality in products that cost less than 6000 bucks.

I see you know alot about sensor technology. Not. Don't ever let your sarcasm ruin the point of your issue because, I guess you know that, what you say is just plain wrong ;).

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
nhz said:
rrcphoto said:
it will be interesting to see if they did improve the lens. if they did ..

seriously, why would they improve the lens if the buyers don't care about blurry corners? For people who do care about good IQ at WA, there is that 'crappy' Sony RX100-3/4 ;-)

that's right, and while their at it, no point in updating any L series lenses either because people will still buy the old ones too.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
thetechhimself said:
The more I think about it, the more logical it is it'll sport 4K... DIGIC7 + probably new or reworked APS-C sensor, the 70D was a video oriented Rebel with sudo sports; but we'll see. They're not gonna go back to Hybrid CMOS AF III, if they do, it's foolish to downgrade a feature to create a what's the point 80D.

with a 3 year timeline, I honestly can't see how it won't have some kind of 4K, however I'm not sure how canon could do a 4K h.264 codec on the 80D when they couldn't on the 1DXII.

that honestly would look pretty weird.

Upvote 0
The safe bet for the 80D would be 1080p at 60FPS, just like the 7D2. Digic6 or 6+, since 7 didn't debut for 1DX2, it also won't for a lower end model. I would also not expect a FPS bump, maybe 0.5, since they are still way ahead of the competition regarding that - D7100 and D7200 being both 6FPS.

My bet for the 80D is:
- 24MP
- Digic6+
- 1080p60 (like the 7D2)
- 7.5 FPS
- antiflicker (like the 7D2)
- DPAF II (like the 7D2)

Upvote 0
This is the 80D

24.2MP
49 point focus*
wifi and nfc*
8fps with larger buffer with high speed uhs support.*
Upgraded viewfinder from the 70D guaranteed*, this may mean a larger viewfinder, more information in it, red dot light up points, or a user replaceable focus screen or all four.*
Flicker free and f8 autofocus*
Not sure is it will have dpaf as we know it today, have heard of something hexa focus but i don't know what that is
more custom features like the 7d2 has, something like the ability to change profiles maybe.
greater weather sealing more or less close to the 7D1*.

* are true features i know as fact.

It will be marketed as a much higher end offering than the T6s and closer to the 7d2 without the crazy weather sealing or complete mag body. The 7d3 is in the field being tested by users, Canon will be upgrading this later this year or early next in response to the D500. what ever sensor the 80D has the 7d3 will get and people have said it is 24.2mp sensor. It will be a 7d2 with a 1dX2 focusing system, wifi and nfc and gps. Nobody is talking about Video in either camera, this is a huge secret esp in the 7d3 testers. I don't see why Canon will do 4k in the 80D now instead save it for the higher 7d3.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
RickWagoner said:
This is the 80D

24.2MP
49 point focus*
wifi and nfc*
8fps with larger buffer with high speed uhs support.*
Upgraded viewfinder from the 70D guaranteed*, this may mean a larger viewfinder, more information in it, red dot light up points, or a user replaceable focus screen or all four.*
Flicker free and f8 autofocus*
Not sure is it will have dpaf as we know it today, have heard of something hexa focus but i don't know what that is
more custom features like the 7d2 has, something like the ability to change profiles maybe.
greater weather sealing more or less close to the 7D1*.

* are true features i know as fact.

It will be marketed as a much higher end offering than the T6s and closer to the 7d2 without the crazy weather sealing or complete mag body. The 7d3 is in the field being tested by users, Canon will be upgrading this later this year or early next in response to the D500. what ever sensor the 80D has the 7d3 will get and people have said it is 24.2mp sensor. It will be a 7d2 with a 1dX2 focusing system, wifi and nfc and gps. Nobody is talking about Video in either camera, this is a huge secret esp in the 7d3 testers. I don't see why Canon will do 4k in the 80D now instead save it for the higher 7d3.

honestly there will be so much whine from people that will never shoot more than 10 minutes of video on the camera if it isn't 4k.

maybe they will adopt h.265

other than that, if they are cycling the 7D2 quickly you'd have to think it's a brand new sensor. i guess we'll know if we see DPAF and 24MP, then we'll have to wait to see a picture of the sensor to see if it's new format or old format.

thanks for the info.

still a pretty good upgrade by the sounds of it - will be interesting to see the details.

Upvote 0
RickWagoner said:
nostrovia said:
RickWagoner said:
This is the 80D

24.2MP
49 point focus
wifi and nfc
8fps with larger buffer

Sourced or guessed? In either case, that doesn't compel me to upgrade my 70D.

i updated my post...if i say sourced then i would have to give up my source so....

I hope what you say is true as long as they don't remove AFMA like they did from the 60D. If I recall correctly, the 50D had it and then it returned in the 70D. I'd be upgrading from a 60D so it would be a significant improvement.

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
RickWagoner said:
The 7d3 is in the field being tested by users, Canon will be upgrading this later this year or early next in response to the D500. what ever sensor the 80D has the 7d3 will get and people have said it is 24.2mp sensor. It will be a 7d2 with a 1dX2 focusing system, wifi and nfc and gps. Nobody is talking about Video in either camera, this is a huge secret esp in the 7d3 testers. I don't see why Canon will do 4k in the 80D now instead save it for the higher 7d3.

Dang, I just bought two 7D2s last year.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Maybe you have some inside info. I'd find it strange there would be a 7D3 already in the works. Especially if it's in response to the D500 which isn't in the market yet. It doesn't seem like a camera that many Canon shooters would jump ship for. I'm sure 4K would be a nice addition but first and foremost it's a sports camera. At that the 7DII excels. It's focusing is excellent, it has a very clear field of view especially with the 100-400 II. Works really great with a 70-200mm too. Other than its ISO performance its a very good camera. I couldn't see Canon replacing it for a few years but who knows. Maybe 4K is becoming an important factor in camera buying. For general use 4K is almost overkill. Full HD is pretty good and clear. If they could only do a better job of reducing "Jello". For someone who does shoot video from time to time I find HD files big enough already to manage.

kaptainkatsu said:
RickWagoner said:
The 7d3 is in the field being tested by users, Canon will be upgrading this later this year or early next in response to the D500. what ever sensor the 80D has the 7d3 will get and people have said it is 24.2mp sensor. It will be a 7d2 with a 1dX2 focusing system, wifi and nfc and gps. Nobody is talking about Video in either camera, this is a huge secret esp in the 7d3 testers. I don't see why Canon will do 4k in the 80D now instead save it for the higher 7d3.

Dang, I just bought two 7D2s last year.

Upvote 0
RickWagoner said:
The 7d3 is in the field being tested by users, Canon will be upgrading this later this year or early next in response to the D500. what ever sensor the 80D has the 7d3 will get and people have said it is 24.2mp sensor.
Might be right about the 80D (although I wouldn't say Canon would give so much bell and whistles to it), but 100% wrong about the 7D3. Canon never released a successor so soon, especially with the more pro bodies. Canon isn't losing sales because of the D500, so they aren't really forced to responde to anything.

Edit: Hector beat me to it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.