Canon EOS 80D Will Be The Next DSLR Replaced [CR1]

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
Automated AFMA and automated focus stacking +1, both would be wonderful.

- A

Both would be great! :D

You'd think that in-camera AFMA calibration a la Reikan FoCal would be possible. Set up a printable target, set up camera/focal length, hit button, camera does the rest and warns you if you need to move things around or change a setting.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
ahsanford said:
... how much more money would Canon have made if the 5D4 had a tilty-flippy?

As an aside, it is interesting how opinions on this forum has changed. It was not long ago when the mere mention of a flip screen would generate page after page of rants from people convinced they were the most useless item ever invented. Touch screens elicited a similar response. I expect we will eventually see flip screens on every model, including the 1Dx. However, I don't expect to see one on the 5Ds II because of Canon's desire to use the basic 5DIV body. Although I certainly could be wrong because for a landscape oriented body like t he 5Ds series, it would definitely make sense.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Talys said:
ahsanford said:

- A

You'd think that in-camera AFMA calibration a la Reikan FoCal would be possible. Set up a printable target, set up camera/focal length, hit button, camera does the rest and warns you if you need to move things around or change a setting.

Personally, I'd like an even simpler implementation. Camera uses the dual pixel function as the control point and then internally calculates and makes the adjustment needed for SLR mode.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
unfocused said:
Talys said:
ahsanford said:

- A

Personally, I'd like an even simpler implementation. Camera uses the dual pixel function as the control point and then internally calculates and makes the adjustment needed for SLR mode.

I don't know a lot about this but wouldn't it not work since the mirror would be blocking the sensor in SLR mode?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Adelino said:
unfocused said:
Talys said:
ahsanford said:

- A

I don't know a lot about this but wouldn't it not work since the mirror would be blocking the sensor in SLR mode?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
unfocused said:
Adelino said:
unfocused said:
Yeah, that makes sense.

It could focus with on-sensor AF, flip the mirror, measure with PDAF, bias PDAF by the result, focus with PDAF, flip the mirror, measure with sensor AF, rinse and repeat to control for random noise and to hopefully converge to an optimal adjustment value.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
jolyonralph said:
My biggest questions is: what are they going to call the model that eventually replaces the 90D. They've already used 100D.

With the way numbers have been jumping around lately, they could call it something completely different in every territory.
It could be a “Rebel Extreme” in the US and a “KISS MAX” in Japan and a “5,000,000D” in the UK.
I wouldn’t be surprised if marketing people in each territory get to decide the names without any consideration for the premise of a global naming structure.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
unfocused said:
jolyonralph said:
My biggest questions is: what are they going to call the model that eventually replaces the 90D. They've already used 100D.

Mk II.

It would never be 100D anyhow, because the series is xxD.

Assuming the next model is 90D (as opposed to something Feng Shui-clever like 88D), canon still has 91-99D for radical design changes or parallel series, and Marks for iterations. Thy hould be good for, like, another humdred years :D

Upvote 0
Talys said:
unfocused said:
jolyonralph said:

Mk II.

Assuming the next model is 90D (as opposed to something Feng Shui-clever like 88D), canon still has 91-99D for radical design changes or parallel series, and Marks for iterations. Thy hould be good for, like, another humdred years :D

I think the 90D will be the last of this series; I also think the 5D MarkIV is the last of the 5D series...

These two series will be replaced with "New and Improved technology" camera lines that Canon will put a bit more effort in to marketing as so.

My psychic abilities are telling me both these series will be replaced....(unless I'm just subconsciously speculating) ;)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Talys said:
unfocused said:
jolyonralph said:

Mk II.

Before I decided to wait for the 6D2, I thought about getting the 80D, but wondered whether I would need ritalin.

Upvote 0