Canon EOS 90D full specifications

Jul 21, 2010
Not exactly, 1080/24 is in every ILC Canon has made since the 5DII except the RP and the 50D (which didn't have video at all) based on my limited review. I have yet to find an other ILC made by Canon that does not have 1080/24 since they started putting video into mirrorless or DSLR cameras (in all honesty I'd be happy to be proven wrong here). I used the M50, 5DIV, and R in my example because they're the only ones with 4K at all and are most directly comparable, which suggests (to me anyway) that Canon has been willing to put 24p into cameras at both 4K and 1080p resolution. Maybe that is indeed changing moving forward, or maybe it is just omitted info - we'll know soon.

Again, I'm not trying to troll here as I don't care about video at all, I just don't get the decision, where I usually find Canon's decisions understandable.
My point was that 1080p24 is lacking only from the 2-3 newest cameras, i.e. present in cameras launched through 2018, lacking in cameras launched in 2019. Suggests a watershed.

Could just be differentiation of lower end models.

Upvote 0
My point was that 1080p24 is lacking only from the 2-3 newest cameras, i.e. present in cameras launched through 2018, lacking in cameras launched in 2019. Suggests a watershed.

Could just be differentiation of lower end models.
Ah, ok I understand now. You could be right. Another poster noted that 24p was not present in the g7xiii but was present in the g7xii, and they appear to be correct, so maybe Canon is indeed removing that feature from new bodies.

At the same time, if the M6ii and 90D don't have it, it wouldn't be as big a deal provided that they have no crop on the 4k 24p: it could be cleanly converted later for the equivalent outcome, provided that the bit rate isn't as high (storage hungry) as in the R. I guess we'll know more soon.

Upvote 0
They removed it because it if was included the footage would be too similar to what can be done in their Cinema cameras and potentially cost them some sales of their Cinema cameras (using Canon logic). Canon seems to be systematically removing it from their new cameras to create market separation even though predecessor models had p24. IE: G7X II had p24, G7X III doesn't. 80D has p24, 90D won't.

I expect we're going to find out that the crop free 4K on the 90D and the M6 II are not full sensor readout scaled down to 4K. I'm guessing it's either line skipping or pixel binned and scaled to 4K. Hence the "through image processing" * in the promo videos.
I'm not sure omission in the RP was to protect the cinema line - I really can't see potential buyers cross shopping cinema cameras vs the RP - they're just wildly different prices. Obviously same for the G7x iii - I really don't think someone (or business) who can afford a cinema camera would choose a G7x iii because it is cheaper - I'd expect those cameras are targeted at very different markets.

If Canon was worried about the RP cannibalizing cinema lines, then they'd already have that problem with the R, which a number of bloggers have said operates like a mini C200 as it is. I'm wondering if the RP omission had something to do with getting 4K video out of a sensor which wasn't made for it - hence why the 6DII shares the sensor but can't do 4K. I'm no engineer, so that's a lot of speculation from me to be clear. I'll be curious to see final specs of the M6ii and 90D.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
What else? A much higher, and cleaner, ISO

Like every camera, at really high ISOs the D500 is performing a digital push, no different than pushing in your RAW converter or in PS. It also spits out unrecognizable trash at all of the ISOs above the ISO cap on the 7D2 (51,200). If you're so easily fooled by marketing claims then just push a 7D2 file in PS to get the same unrecognizable trash.

As to the actual, real difference between them at usable high ISOs: 0.5ev is not "much higher and cleaner." That's about what I'm seeing looking at dpreview's D500 RAWs vs both the 80D and the 7D mark II. At the same high ISO the D500 is a bit cleaner than either, but if you compare to the next higher ISO on the D500 (1 stop) the D500 is worse. To me "much higher and cleaner" means a couple stops, or at least 1 stop. We're looking at a fraction of a stop.

Now I will grant that D500 files are sharper thanks to no AA filter. When at high ISO, if you sharpen the 80D or 7D2 files to match then the noise gap grows larger. But...

and lack of an anti-aliasing filter!

That's not likely to matter with the 90D's 32mp sensor. With that kind of resolution gap the 90D is likely to be as sharp or sharper (viewed at the same size).

So we have a truly insignificant high ISO difference and an AA filter difference that won't matter with the 90D, which has major gain in resolving power. What else have you got?

Side note: as I'm so fond of pointing out, modern sensors are already very efficient photon counters, and there are no easy gains left to be made in high ISO performance. If you are expecting a new camera from any manufacturer to add 1-2 stops usability within a format then get set for disappointment. If today's APS-C cannot deliver the high ISO you need, you need to add FF for low light, not wait for a future crop sensor to bend the laws of physics.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm kind of surprised that this new camera doesn't have dual card slots...
I think it is time for dual card slot people to recognize that Canon does not share their point of view. It's pretty clear to me that dual card slots were primarily included in order to accommodate different types of recording media -- Compact Flash, Secure Digital and CFast. With Compact Flash on its way out, I think Canon feels like they don't really need two card slots anymore.

This may be augmented by data on card failure rates, improvements in the design and durability of SD cards, the availability of high capacity SD cards at low cost and the fact that most manufacturers offer very effective recovery software.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Wait for the Sony a7RV. It’ll be out in a year, it’ll make coffee and then Canon will be doomed.
Neuro, it will make you a coffee. Confirmed. However SONY branded coffee capsules will be in short supply initially but will be discontinued in 6 months from the day camera was announced with no spares in stock globally.
Sony Camera service centres will honour warranty repairs on this model but only if you never used water in your coffee due to the camera weather protection being limited.
Not too worry though as the next model after this one will be fantastic.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I think it is time for dual card slot people to recognize that Canon does not share their point of view. It's pretty clear to me that dual card slots were primarily included in order to accommodate different types of recording media -- Compact Flash, Secure Digital and CFast. With Compact Flash on its way out, I think Canon feels like they don't really need two card slots anymore.

This may be augmented by data on card failure rates, improvements in the design and durability of SD cards, the availability of high capacity SD cards at low cost and the fact that most manufacturers offer very effective recovery software.

Oh, I get it. Write to both cards simultaneously option is to accomodate for different types of recording media. Right, right.
And in case of physical failure I can recover my data from an SD card is like almost guaranteed.
Right, right.

Phew..... :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
They removed it because it if was included the footage would be too similar to what can be done in their Cinema cameras and potentially cost them some sales of their Cinema cameras (using Canon logic).
No, that’s using what you apparently believe passes for logic.

Your contention is that people who might buy an EOS Cinema camera would buy a 90D instead is ludicrous. By your logic, a heated steering wheel is not available on the Yaris because Toyota doesn’t want people buying it instead of the Lexus RS series.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Your contention is that people who might buy an EOS Cinema camera would buy a 90D instead is ludicrous. By your logic, a heated steering wheel is not available on the Yaris because Toyota doesn’t want people buying it instead of the Lexus RS series.
So, why would they do it?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Can you provide your comprehensive list of impossibilities which only leaves technical differentiation between products developed for fundamentally different markets? I expect it to be long and fascinating.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
If you down sample to 24 from 60 it may stutter, and if you use 25 it won't align with North American lighting standards and may flicker. Again, I'm no video pro, but I'd always read it was best to shoot in whatever frame rate you plan on presenting in (with the exception of 60/30 being transferrable and 25/50 too).

I think part of the reason so many people want it is because bloggers seem to use it a lot and present their videos in that on youtube and motion pictures/documentaries use that frame rate. If I take a sampling of the YouTubers I regularly watch, almost all of them present in 24, so if I were trying to get into video and emulate their content, I would have likely been influenced toward 24 as well, right or wrong.

I'm not convinced that anyone really notices a difference in look between 24p and 25p.

If using 25fps with 60hz lighting you can use a safe shutter angle/speed to avoid flicker. https://www.red.com/flicker-free-video

For those of us outside of NTSC land this isn't an issue. Also, frame rate conversions have always been done for different TV systems and between cinema and TV.

And lets face it, if you're buying a 90D for video it's for YouTube, not making video designed for a cinema or broadcast release.

https://www.red.com/flicker-free-video

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Seems like a pretty decent upgrade all things considered. For those who love shooting with an 80D this is more of the same with 4K in a manageable file size if the 120mbs bitrate is correct. As a YouTuber that's exactly what I'm looking for. Already got a quote for trading in the body of my 80D so I'll be ordering day one.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is does it still have a mic and a headphone socket. You can't really tell from the video. Hoping it hasn't lost functionality. Lol.

Bingo! that's pretty much how I feel reading these specs. It'll be a decent camera, the 80D sure is, but definitely not as large a jump as people had hoped for. Typical canon minor iterative evolution and certainly not motivational enough to buy from 80D level. Maybe real reviews will show a bigger improvement than it seems.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Oh, I get it. Write to both cards simultaneously option is to accomodate for different types of recording media. Right, right.
And in case of physical failure I can recover my data from an SD card is like almost guaranteed.
Right, right.

Phew..... :)

Whining isn't going to change anything. I'm just explaining what I see as Canon's point of view on the feature. You are welcome to disagree, but it isn't going to change what they do.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
They removed it because it if was included the footage would be too similar to what can be done in their Cinema cameras and potentially cost them some sales of their Cinema cameras (using Canon logic). Canon seems to be systematically removing it from their new cameras to create market separation even though predecessor models had p24. IE: G7X II had p24, G7X III doesn't. 80D has p24, 90D won't.

I expect we're going to find out that the crop free 4K on the 90D and the M6 II are not full sensor readout scaled down to 4K. I'm guessing it's either line skipping or pixel binned and scaled to 4K. Hence the "through image processing" * in the promo videos.

I can only assume that you've never used a cinema camera. If you think anyone is weighing up whether to buy a C200 or a 90D you're an idiot. Sorry.

If you dont understand the differences around ergonomics, image quality, connectivity, sound quality, monitoring etc. that's on you.

I understand that as an internet critic you think reading a specsheet is all there is to a camera (and lets be honest, you've failed even at that simple task, as 12bit RAW and 8-bit compressed 4:2:0 aren't very similar to anyone but you), but perhaps try using some actual cameras before subjecting us to your 'insights' in future.

Upvote 0
I can only assume that you've never used a cinema camera. If you think anyone is weighing up whether to buy a C200 or a 90D you're an idiot. Sorry.

If you dont understand the differences around ergonomics, image quality, connectivity, sound quality, monitoring etc. that's on you.

I understand that as an internet critic you think reading a specsheet is all there is to a camera (and lets be honest, you've failed even at that simple task, as 12bit RAW and 8-bit compressed 4:2:0 aren't very similar to anyone but you), but perhaps try using some actual cameras before subjecting us to your 'insights' in future.
That's a pretty damning argument you've put together. However, you're mistaken. It's against Canon, not me. I keep stating that Canon is utterly delusional for thinking they're going to lose Cx00 sales to a P&S or a MILC/DSLR, but their actions speak quite loudly.

If you can come up with a better explanation for why Canon is pulling p24 from new models and why they continually lag on video features after once leading I'm all ears.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Can you provide your comprehensive list of impossibilities which only leaves technical differentiation between products developed for fundamentally different markets? I expect it to be long and fascinating.
I'm not the one making the claim that there are a pile of more reasonable explanations why Canon offered p24 in nearly every camera they introduced with video capability for about 8-9 years only to start removing it across the board in the last year or so. If you think there are a bunch of reasonable explanations why cameras capable of p25 can't also do p24 other than the cripple hammer have at it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm kind of surprised that this new camera doesn't have dual card slots and the 7DII's 65 point AF system...after all it's supposed to be a hybrid of the 80D and 7DIII
See there it is again, that conjecture of a hybrid. I'm curious if there is anything from Canon, such as an interview where this has been said.

Upvote 0