Canon EOS 90D full specifications

I guess I'm a bit out of the loop, but I'm drawing a blank on what this is missing when compared to an equivalent tier camera from 4 years ago?

I'll restate for those in the back that can't read... 4k60 and dual card slots. Oh wait and ibis. Man o man.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Alan these are fantastic shots.
The 5DSR produces wonderful IQ for bird portraits but has a previous generation AF (vs the 5D4). It can capture images of BIF but lacks AF performance, frame rate and buffer to be a camera of choice for most serious BIF photographers. Also, it produces excessive noise at higher ISOs vs a 1DX2, 5D4, D5, D850 or A9. It was never designed to be a sports/action camera.

Upvote 0
I'll restate for those in the back that can't read... 4k60 and dual card slots. Oh wait and ibis. Man o man.
I guess I'm really out of the loop! I don't think I can name one camera in a comparable price range and sensor size which has 2 card slots, IBIS, and 4K 60 which was on the market as of August 2015, if we're indeed saying that is 4 year old tech.

Let's look at some comparable cameras that had been released by August 2015, 4 years ago. I think the closest comparable cameras for this price point would likely be the Sony a6000, Sony a68, the Fujifilm XT1, Fujifilm XT10, Nikon D7200, and I'm sure others exist too. None have 4K, one has 2 card slots, one had IBIS. I don't think these features are 4 years old, as you suggest.

In fact, I'm struggling to identify a camera on the market right now with all of those features in a comparable price range. Let's look at the closest comparable cameras on the market now. XT3 has 2 card slots and 4K 60, but no IBIS, and I'd argue that it is positioned at a higher tier than the 90D or M6. What about the XH1 - it has IBIS and 2 card slots but no 4K60, but again, it's priced even higher than the XT3 so not really comparable. What about the XT30, much more comparable price - no 4K 60, no IBIS, single card slot. How about Sony's offerings - a6400 has no 4k60, no dual card slots, no IBIS. Maybe the a6500 - no 4k60, no dual card slots, but yes IBIS. What about Nikon - the D500 is a tier above in my opinion, but let's look anyway - no IBIS, no 4k60, yes dual card slots. D7500 isn't much better, no 4k60, no 2 card slots (removed from its predecessor no less!), no IBIS.

So I guess I must be really missing something because I'm struggling to find a comparable camera that has all these features. What APS-C sensor camera has 4k60, 2 card slots, IBIS, and is priced at least comparably to the 80D on release, and was at least announced by 4 years ago - August 2015? Are there any on the market now? I'm asking honestly, because I can't think of any.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
Canon has been including both number is the official specs for at least 15-20 years.

I'm sure the 24.4 MP "total pixels" number was a typo. It's already been changed in the OP to 34.4 MP.

How many rows one needs round the edges depends on the demosaicing algorithm one is using. Only the most basic and crude algorithms use only one additional row. Most use several with those closest having more weight than those further away. Then there are things such as masked pixels, used to measure the noise floor at a given moment (it varies based on things such as sensor/internal temperature, analog amplification, etc.).
Using a bunch of extra rows/columns seems like it would just incur more blur, but i'm sure there's some edge preserving algorithm stuff going on. Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
So, to summarize this 15-page thread so far, the new body priced at ~1300 USD has 99% of the features/specs of the ~2000 USD body it was meant to replace. It doesn't have A-DEP on the mode dial so the Youtubers & vloggers who mostly upload 720p30/1080p30 video should avoid this model and buy the Sony/Fuji/Nikon equivalent instead. Got it. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The 5DSR produces wonderful IQ for bird portraits but has a previous generation AF (vs the 5D4). It can capture images of BIF but lacks AF performance, frame rate and buffer to be a camera of choice for most serious BIF photographers.

Judging from Alan's photos your assertion is false.

Also, it produces excessive noise at higher ISOs vs a 1DX2, 5D4, D5, D850 or A9.

Alan just posted a clean ISO 6400 shot, and you reply with this myth? I mean...I don't even have to screenshot DP Review RAW comparisons in response. Alan's real world photo is sufficient evidence all on its own.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
All right. Let’s Summarise and conclude:

Pixel pitch / pixel size affects DLA. Sensor size does not affect DLA. Done and dusted. :)

There is no contradiction between your last statement and mine. So of course (everything else unchanged) the airy disk becomes visible at the pixel level as the pixels get smaller. But that doesn't make the higher resolution image any worse than the lower resolution image or higher resolution cameras less usable at higher f-stops than lower resolution cameras as some posts (not yours) were suggesting. Because if the airy disk is exactly 1 pixel in size in sensor A and therefore not visible, if we double the resolution in height and width in sensor B it will occupy 4 pixels and will therefore be visible. If we downsample image from B to the size of sensor A we end up with exactly the same image. In this case: nothing gained by doubling the resolution, but nothing lost either.

And I was merely commenting on your post #214

which is wrong, as is also stated in the link you posted. Because it is simply correct that the effect of diffraction and the size of the airy disk is independent of the sensor, which was what Proscribo was talking about. Only whether we can see it or not in an image recorded by a sensor is of course dependant on its resolution.
There is no contradiction between your last statement and mine. So of course (everything else unchanged) the airy disk becomes visible at the pixel level as the pixels get smaller. But that doesn't make the higher resolution image any worse than the lower resolution image or higher resolution cameras less usable at higher f-stops than lower resolution cameras as some posts (not yours) were suggesting. Because if the airy disk is exactly 1 pixel in size in sensor A and therefore not visible, if we double the resolution in height and width in sensor B it will occupy 4 pixels and will therefore be visible. If we downsample image from B to the size of sensor A we end up with exactly the same image. In this case: nothing gained by doubling the resolution, but nothing lost either.

And I was merely commenting on your post #214

which is wrong, as is also stated in the link you posted. Because it is simply correct that the effect of diffraction and the size of the airy disk is independent of the sensor, which was what Proscribo was talking about. Only whether we can see it or not in an image recorded by a sensor is of course dependant on its resolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see a lot of people disappointed/stating that the 90D won't be a replacement of the 7Dii.
Other than it is not called 7Diii (some egos bruised by a xxD name?) and doesn't have 2 card slots I am failing to understand why it is not an improvement to the 7Dii?

32mp vs 20mp
Dual Pixel AF on both
10-11fps vs 10fps
1/16000sec max shutter speed vs 1/8000
Iso 100-25600 vs 100-16000
Touch & flippy screen vs not
WiFi vs No Wifi
700g vs 900g
Joystick on both
Possibly a better DR on the 90D

I understand the 7Dii has 65 points AF and the 90D will only have 45 but until we see the performances of the new AF system we can't say it is not an improvement. I'd rather have 45 faster & accurate points than 65 less reliable ones.
I was considering getting a 7dii for wildlife but to me, at least on paper, the 90D will do what the 7dii does and a bit more.
So are the missing second card slot and the allegedly lower weather sealing the only two things making it not a 7dii upgrade?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The 5DSR produces wonderful IQ for bird portraits but has a previous generation AF (vs the 5D4). It can capture images of BIF but lacks AF performance, frame rate and buffer to be a camera of choice for most serious BIF photographers. Also, it produces excessive noise at higher ISOs vs a 1DX2, 5D4, D5, D850 or A9. It was never designed to be a sports/action camera.

The 5DS models do not produce excessive noise at higher iso! As Michael Clark pointed out in this thread, modern FF sensors are all similar in noise at higher isos - because they are all of similar efficiency and noise is caused at high isos by photon statistics. If you print at the same size or resize to the same resolution, all the models will give the same noise. As Keith Reeder pointed out here, "more pixels mean more noise is a myth" and, further, with modern noise reduction software, the noise can be efficiently eliminated.

If you don't believe me, go to one of our favourite sites
and you will see that the dynamic ranges of the 1DXII, 5DIV and 5DS are virtually identical and slightly better than the D850 above iso 600 - the dynamic range is limited by sensor noise and photons.

The 5DS and 5DSR may not have been designed nature photography and for BIF, but they are darned good at it.Screenshot_2019-08-22 Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting.png

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I see a lot of people disappointed/stating that the 90D won't be a replacement of the 7Dii.
Other than it is not called 7Diii (some egos bruised by a xxD name?) and doesn't have 2 card slots I am failing to understand why it is not an improvement to the 7Dii?

32mp vs 20mp
Dual Pixel AF on both
10-11fps vs 10fps
1/16000sec max shutter speed vs 1/8000
Iso 100-25600 vs 100-16000
Touch & flippy screen vs not
WiFi vs No Wifi
700g vs 900g
Joystick on both
Possibly a better DR on the 90D

I understand the 7Dii has 65 points AF and the 90D will only have 45 but until we see the performances of the new AF system we can't say it is not an improvement. I'd rather have 45 faster & accurate points than 65 less reliable ones.
I was considering getting a 7dii for wildlife but to me, at least on paper, the 90D will do what the 7dii does and a bit more.
So are the missing second card slot and the allegedly lower weather sealing the only two things making it not a 7dii upgrade?
I think you make fairly decent points here but if you have a 7DII its not a compelling upgrade.
Weather sealing would be important to me (I'm in a wet country). The 7DII is pretty robust in this regard.
I'd need to see some real world usage of it to be convinced.
ISO performance will be of interest. If it were a considerable improvement that would be useful.
I use it alot for sport. It's an insignificant improvement in FPS. I don't know why they didn't go to 12 FPS. That would be a selling point.
I don't seem to have found a real use for Wifi so far in a camera.
Flippy screen might be useful but its a point of failure.
200g less would be nice but not a deciding feature.
The MP isn't an attraction for me. It's wasted on sport generally but in other genres like birds it would be an asset.
I think I will continue on with the 7DII until if fails (which could be anytime from now on as I'd say it has a massive shutter count)

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The 5DS models do not produce excessive noise at higher iso! As Michael Clark pointed out in this thread, modern FF sensors are all similar in noise at higher isos - because they are all of similar efficiency and noise is caused at high isos by photon statistics. If you print at the same size or resize to the same resolution, all the models will give the same noise. As Keith Reeder pointed out here, "more pixels mean more noise is a myth" and, further, with modern noise reduction software, the noise can be efficiently eliminated.

If you don't believe me, go to one of our favourite sites
and you will see that the dynamic ranges of the 1DXII, 5DIV and 5DS are virtually identical and slightly better than the D850 above iso 600 - the dynamic range is limited by sensor noise and photons.

The 5DS and 5DSR may not have been designed nature photography and for BIF, but they are darned good at it.View attachment 186128
You are a great defender of the 5DS And the 5DSR and you back it up with real world photographs that show the great performance you get out of it.
My 5DSR is fine at low ISO. I don't like it all at high ISO 1600 or above. I find the the 5D IV much better in that ISO range. The images just look better straight out of the camera. I find recovering shadows with the 5DIV much better too. I don't condemn the 5DSR outright. It's very good at ISO 100 in studios and doing landscapes in reasonable light on a tripod where I can keep the ISO low. I always wonder if I just have a bad copy. I was an early adopter (which I'm not sure is a good idea, I'm sure Canon have to fix the cameras a little bit after initial complaints come in).

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
To have the reach of 5DsR (due to its pixel density) you need to put a 1.4XIII teleconverter to the above cameras (except the D850 which has already that pixel density) so for the same speed and aperture you shoot with ISO one stop higher. I never mentioned sports also. That specific discussion was about birds where we are almost always Focal length limited.

But I agree about 5DsR not being ideal at high ISOs but up to 1600 (or even better 1000) it is excellent. For night shots (irrespective of ISO) and for high ISO in general I use my 5DIV which is indeed better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You are a great defender of the 5DS And the 5DSR and you back it up with real world photographs that show the great performance you get out of it.
My 5DSR is fine at low ISO. I don't like it all at high ISO 1600 or above. I find the the 5D IV much better in that ISO range. The images just look better straight out of the camera. I find recovering shadows with the 5DIV much better too. I don't condemn the 5DSR outright. It's very good at ISO 100 in studios and doing landscapes in reasonable light on a tripod where I can keep the ISO low. I always wonder if I just have a bad copy. I was an early adopter (which I'm not sure is a good idea, I'm sure Canon have to fix the cameras a little bit after initial complaints come in).
What RAW converter do you use? I found DxO with PRIME noise reduction improved my 7DII at high iso considerably and then the 5DSR as well when I went to that. Keith Reeder swears by Noise Ninja for his 7DII, and that it is superb as well. DPP is pretty awful and I don't like PS. I too like the 5DIV very much, and it is more resilient to being slightly out of focus than is the 5DSR - when the 5DSR is not spot on, the image deteriorates badly.

Upvote 0
See there it is again, that conjecture of a hybrid. I'm curious if there is anything from Canon, such as an interview where this has been said.
Yes I agree...I'm not seeing anything remotely 7DIII-ish about this camera. It's obviously an upgrade to the 80D. It's also pretty obvious that the new EOS M6 and the Eos 90D were co-developed...the same sensor and all. It seems bizarre about all the talk of a 1.6x Eos Rf camera...and yet the M series already fulfills that role. It takes EF lenses via an adapter...so I assume that includes ef-s too?

Upvote 0