Canon EOS 90D full specifications

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I shoot freelance sports for media outlets that have time deadlines. If a card fails, I don't have time to try and recover the information. And yes, I have had cards fail before.
But you can back up this camera to a Phone or tablet as you shoot! Surely having an independent backup on a separate device is more reliable than a second card?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
+1
That's what I have said too in a previous post. Plus the transfer speed is a joke relative to a fast card.
I don't know if it transfers RAW that way, but as to speed, it does not matter that much because unless you are averaging more than a shot every few seconds, eventually the wireless transfer will catch up

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I shoot freelance sports for media outlets that have time deadlines. If a card fails, I don't have time to try and recover the information. And yes, I have had cards fail before.
Why aren't you FTP'ing the files in real time? Nothing makes an event organizer or news outlet go all gooey more than being told they will get images in real time they can post on social media etc. I pitched it once and got a three day music festival contract out of it.

If you have had multiple card failures I'd look at card quality or handling protocols.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don't know if it transfers RAW that way, but as to speed, it does not matter that much because unless you are averaging more than a shot every few seconds, eventually the wireless transfer will catch up

The current 'auto-transfer' in Camera Connect is jpeg only. If you set your camera to RAW only, it will convert it to jpeg on the fly while sending it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The current 'auto-transfer' in Camera Connect is jpeg only. If you set your camera to RAW only, it will convert it to jpeg on the fly while sending it.
Wifi is less reliable compared to dual cards and I remember a youtube presentation regarding the auto transfer of images from EOS R saying something like do not touch (mess with) your phone during transfer.

As for FTP this is the only solution that auto tranfers RAW files. I believe it is an option only for 5DIV and 1DxII (and maybe with an expensive addon transmitter for some other cameras?). But unless we talk 1DXII and Gigabit Ethernet FTP using wifi and transferring RAW files is not fast enough at least for sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Unless you want better video AF and really don't like the look from m4/3, oh and it is a $1,700 body with a comparatively small sensor even when compared to Canon's 1.6 crop sensors......
You are right, I have been using Canon for too long 5d mk2, 7d, 550d, 6d, c100, c200, and I know what I'm dealing with. I like the Canon colour since and AF but that's not enough...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
As a 7 D mk2 user (x2) for Sports (Non league Football standard) in the UK i am hoping for a Mk 3 not this 90, my reasons are,
The 7d mk2 body takes a hammering pitchside at football/rugby, American Football etc and my 2 current ones are dented,scratched, well worn etc could the 90 body stand up to that abuse if not its a no no. Is it as good weather sealed as the 7d as in the UK the weather can be very wet even using wet weather covers they still get soaked.
For me auto focus and Focus points are ok along with fps as i try to judge the action than spray n pray then have to go through tens of shots instead of a few so happy with the fps rate.
I always use a CF card in one body and a SD card in the other, i have a Lexor card reader on the laptop so can take out either card or both and upload both if needed at the same time at half /full time so one card slot will mean i can't upload 2 cards a time unless i have 2 card readers.
Video & movable rear screen for me never had/doubt will ever feel the need for video so not bothered by it and the movable screen is surely a weak link and just asking during sports & possibly wildlife shots to get broke off.
Same batteries as the 7 d mk 2 so good news there.
Also something i have not seen mentioned anywhere which to many of us in the UK is a massive help is the anti flicker on the 7 d mk2, in the UK doing Non league Football/Rugby you would be surprised how much that kicks in with the terrible flood lights we have to contend with.
Last September i had to spend £500 for a new shutterbox etc as i had reached the end of the shutter count so my other (newer) body must be nearly there as well which is another reason i am not interested in a 90 if in a few months a 7 d mk3 or similar comes about , so if it goes do i spend £500 to repair or use that towards a new 7 d mk3 which are now quite long in the tooth.
Yes i know some of you will say move to the 1 dx mk 2 it will solve most of my dilemma, yet unless someone gives me a 1 dx mk 2 the lack of money just short of £5000 UK rules that out could get 2 brand new 7 d mk2 and have change.
The 7DII is still a very good body, and you can buy one from Hdew for £945 at present, less than for a 90D. For you as sports pro, the 7DII's rugged specs and dual card slots are clearly over-riding concerns. For me as a hobbyist who wants more reach with lighter lenses, the extra 27% resolution given by a 32.5 Mpx sensor is the key factor in a body sufficiently tough for my lesser demands.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Wireless transfer is going to kill your camera battery faster than the wireless transfer will catch up, Don :)
There are also a high chances for transfer to fail. then you will end up having a partial set of files. I tried shooting in studio and eventually gave up.
Second card or cable
That said, 5G wireless can be a game changer potentially.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
But you can back up this camera to a Phone or tablet as you shoot! Surely having an independent backup on a separate device is more reliable than a second card?
Don, my iBook Pro had a serious glitch on our birding holiday and would not recognise my cameras or card reader. Fortunately, I had brought an iPad Pro as an emergency back up with me, after much agonising over whether to get a Western Digital card-reader drive. The iPad was a revelation, which many here will know already but was a novelty for me. The mishap was a blessing in disguise as it is so fast and easy to edit on the iPad - even Photos was very good for a quick edit and I do have LR as part of my Adobe subsciption. Also, the new iOS operating system, which is being beta-tested will allow for the first time external hard drives to back up data.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Don, my iBook Pro had a serious glitch on our birding holiday and would not recognise my cameras or card reader. Fortunately, I had brought an iPad Pro as an emergency back up with me, after much agonising over whether to get a Western Digital card-reader drive. The iPad was a revelation, which many here will know already but was a novelty for me. The mishap was a blessing in disguise as it is so fast and easy to edit on the iPad - even Photos was very good for a quick edit and I do have LR as part of my Adobe subsciption. Also, the new iOS operating system, which is being beta-tested will allow for the first time external hard drives to back up data.

You’re paying for a Lightroom subscription? You’re paying to rent your software, and get ripped off by adobe who just want to take your money?

.... I’m also paying my monthly fee quite happily for the ability to upload on my laptop, and browse/edit on my iPad a few minutes later :) (or visa versa), knowing that it’s also being backed while I’m traveling. Having had laptop/camera stolen on a trip once, and losing all my photos, the monthly fee is a pittance.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You’re paying for a Lightroom subscription? You’re paying to rent your software, and get ripped off by adobe who just want to take your money?

.... I’m also paying my monthly fee quite happily for the ability to upload on my laptop, and browse/edit on my iPad a few minutes later :) (or visa versa), knowing that it’s also being backed while I’m traveling. Having had laptop/camera stolen on a trip once, and losing all my photos, the monthly fee is a pittance.
I am pleased Adobe fulfils your needs. I have a full Adobe subscription because I need for my professional purposes InDesigh, Acrobat Pro etc. PS and LR are thrown in but I do not use LR and rarely use PS for my photography as I far prefer DxO for RAW conversion and do minimal post processing. I back up using other cloud services that are far more suitable for storage of data and documents and sharing folders with colleagues.

I switched off LR on the iPad after I found it was harvesting and uploading all my image files.

Upvote 0
Well looking thru the 90D manual, I see some features missing that the 7DII has/had.
1. # of possible images to take on LCD display is 3 digit not 4.
2. No Custom File naming Prefix.
3. No custom Shooting modes.

Anyone else have any note worthy observations?

Anyone know what the Buffer is for burst shooting? I want to shoot RAW but have to revert to JPG when doing sports.
Its easy for me to run thru 3000 frames in 2 hrs of Sprts events and the 7DII buffer cant keep up unless Im in JPG.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well looking thru the 90D manual, I see some features missing that the 7DII has/had.
1. # of possible images to take on LCD display is 3 digit not 4.
2. No Custom File naming Prefix.
3. No custom Shooting modes.

Anyone else have any note worthy observations?

Anyone know what the Buffer is for burst shooting? I want to shoot RAW but have to revert to JPG when doing sports.
Its easy for me to run thru 3000 frames in 2 hrs of Sprts events and the 7DII buffer cant keep up unless Im in JPG.
It has C1 and C2 on the mode dial for Custom Shooting.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That’s the feature I love the most! ;)

Why do you say ‘harvesting’ and not ‘backing up to the cloud’? Is adobe doing something with my images on a paid subscription that I’m not aware of?
Without my knowing it, LR had gone in to my Photos files and had uploaded 100 GB before I had culled them, and it also used up storage on my iPad by storing files that I had subsequently deleted from Photos. My workflow is to download, back up all on an external hard drive and then after culling upload to the cloud. A quick internet search found lots of complaints about LR doing this and people unable to disable the harvesting functions. I was able to stop it by denying LR access to Photos, and I then had to delete the LR files. I can understand that the automatic upload is fine for you, but not for me.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Without my knowing it, LR had gone in to my Photos files and had uploaded 100 GB before I had culled them, and it also used up storage on my iPad by storing files that I had subsequently deleted from Photos. My workflow is to download, back up all on an external hard drive and then after culling upload to the cloud. A quick internet search found lots of complaints about LR doing this and people unable to disable the harvesting functions. I was able to stop it by denying LR access to Photos, and I then had to delete the LR files. I can understand that the automatic upload is fine for you, but not for me.

I would love being able to bypass the 'film roll' on the ipad and have it import directly to 'files'. And LR being able to read files from there.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I would love being able to bypass the 'film roll' on the ipad and have it import directly to 'files'. And LR being able to read files from there.
Photos does a reasonable job as a RAW converter and quick editing. Of course I do the real editing on my laptop, but I’d like to be able to keep the jpegs from Photos on the iPad and delete the RAW but haven’t found a way of doing it directly.

The iPad is so blisteringly fast at RAW conversion it makes it easier for culling than from my laptop.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014

That’s frustrating! I can understand you’re ire. I must have disabled that when I first started, as I don’t recall that happening to me. If it had, I’d have been pretty annoyed.

Upvote 0