Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like an official promotional video for the upcoming Canon EOS 90D has leaked.
There are the specifications from the video:

32.5mp APS-C Sensor
45AF points (all cross-type)
DIGIC 8
10fps shooting
4K at 30p/25p
FullHD at 120p/100p
Optical viewfinder & face detection
100% viewfinder coverage
220K dot RGB + IR metering
Touchscreen Vari-Angle LCD
Dust & water-resistant
Battery grip BG-E14

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yea, that caught my eye too. No idea!
The M6 II has the same note in it's video. That doesn't sound like it's full sensor readout downscaled "4K".

The M6 II doesn't have a note about a FOV crop for 120fps FHD. The RAW Burst shooting feature of the M6 II seems to be missing from the 90D also.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
For me the big remaining question is sensor architecture and DR. Since they're not touting new and improved sensor technology on these splash videos my guess is that it's the old sensor tech with a MP bump. Same DR, more or less, is the way it would seem... We'll see....

These are very nice evolutionary upgrades, but I had hoped for kaikaku, not mere kaizen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like a pretty nice package overall. Interesting...
This is how all new Canon cameras seem to start out these days. They look quite promising at first glance, but unfortunately the more you find out about the specific details the more your interest wanes. The G7X III is a perfect case in point.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
A snip from the 90D video. Does the statement "During viewfinder shooting (AF fixed/tracking)" mean that when looking through the optical viewfinder and shooting at the high rate of 10 fps the AF is fixed; as in you have no AF available when shooting stills at 10fps? Please tell me I am reading this incorrectly.

Canon 90D fixed AF.png

Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
A snip from the 90D video. Does the statement "During viewfinder shooting (AF fixed/tracking)" mean that when looking through the optical viewfinder and shooting at the high rate of 10 fps the AF is fixed; as in you have no AF available when shooting stills at 10fps? Please tell me I am reading this incorrectly.
I'd like to think that means AF fixed or tracking mode both gets 10 fps when using the viewfinder, which is not a new tech by any means.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The M6 II has the same note in it's video. That doesn't sound like it's full sensor readout downscaled "4K".

You can't do full sensor readout of a 32mp sensor and generate 4k frames without image processing. If they were grabbing 4k frames directly it would have to be from a crop. The note may therefore mean the opposite of what you imagine.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Canon 90D fixed AF.png
You should read it as however is more restrictive / less useful to an end user.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
This is how all new Canon cameras seem to start out these days. They look quite promising at first glance, but unfortunately the more you find out about the specific details the more your interest wanes. The G7X III is a perfect case in point.

And yet when people actually get to use Canon bodies, not just argue about spec sheets on the internet, they are almost universally considered great cameras and better than the sum of their parts.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
You can't do full sensor readout of a 32mp sensor and generate 4k frames without image processing. If they were grabbing 4k frames directly it would have to be from a crop. The note may therefore mean the opposite of what you imagine.
So why is the note not mentioned for FHD? The same thing you describe would be the case for FHD video, but there is no * in the video for those with that explanation.

Upvote 0