Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Doesn't seem like a significant upgrade from my 80D. 4k60 no crop on APSC would finally out it in competition with the A6500 and GH9 not sure why they leave things like 4k60 and ibis out on a camera that's so far behind in tech today.
I don't know, looks like a gigantic update over an 80D. 42% more FPS, 30% more resolution, more AF features, better wheather sealing and a joystick... I would not be surprised if the sensor quality makes a good jump as well. I just got my 80D 1,5 years ago... Since this new 90D will likely jump up in price as well I'm not upgrading. But only because I just got the 80D.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
Well, there's no eye AF in viewfinder shooting. The 220kpix metering sensor is the second largest in any Canon DSLR ever, though.

I thought the first thing they are showing is some kind of face detection AF from the viewfinder, seems quite fancy. Or am I just reading it wrong perhaps. They call it the iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition) AF with face detection. Seems promising but speed is unknown, definitely not 10FPS.

(edited)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
So why is the note not mentioned for FHD? The same thing you describe would be the case for FHD video, but there is no * in the video for those with that explanation.

FHD isn't mentioned at all except with respect to 120p/100p where the note is: "AF fixed when shooting. The angle of view becomes narrower." This is in the exact same section as the "through image processing" note on 4k (bullet points 2 and 3).

You could be right (which would be a huge disappointment). But I would think the language would be the same for both bullet points if 4k was cropped like 120p/100p FHD is.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well, there's no eye AF in viewfinder shooting. The 220kpix metering sensor is the second largest in any Canon DSLR ever, though.
No eye AF. BUT at 48 seconds it says "EOS iTR AF (Face detection)". So you can get Face AF in the Viewfinder. That's pretty awesome already.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Eye af tracking I bet is in live view!!!!!...maybe This is not a mirrorless camera!!!! If one wants a mirrorless canon camera then one gets a M or a R/RP not a D90. My guess this camera was on the drawing boards before camera sales took a nose dive and the investment dollars was insignificant....bp
No one said it’s a mirrorless. It’s clearly stated having Optical Viewfinder.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I thought the first thing they are showing is some kind of face detection AF from the viewfinder, seems quite fancy. Or am I just reading it wrong perhaps.
You are correct. I'm pretty sure they have figured out how to do face detection from the viewfinder. That slide shows image going to viewfinder & other sensor. That is probably why the joystick is also there (to change faces).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
No eye AF. BUT at 48 seconds it says "EOS iTR AF (Face detection)". So you can get Face AF in the Viewfinder. That's pretty awesome already.

Yes, like the current higher-end Canon DSLRs. Although with any luck this version is improved from the 7D2, for example. The 80D with its much lower-res 7600-pixel metering sensor also has "skintone detection" but naturally it's less capable.

You are correct. I'm pretty sure they have figured out how to do face detection from the viewfinder. That slide shows image going to viewfinder & other sensor. That is probably why the joystick is also there (to change faces).

This is not new; the >100kpix metering sensors in the 7D2, 5D4, 1DX, and 1DX2 can also track faces (as part of the more general "iTR" feature). Although being able to switch between detected faces would be a new feature. The joystick's primary purpose is certainly switching between AF points, just like other joystick-equipped Canon bodies.

Poor Sony. They will no longer be able to claim the APS-C mode on the A7r IV has higher resolution and than native APS-C bodies.

I'd wager they're soon going to lose the FF resolution crown as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
1dx(2) also had this .

I thought it was new for 90D. Silly me.

Internet says:
Canon has introduced a new feature coined EOS iTR AF - Intelligent Tracking and Recognition Auto Focus on the Canon EOS-1D XDSLR.
EOS iTR AF is also now available (as of April, 2019) with the EOS 1D X Mark II, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5Ds/5Ds R, and EOS 5D Mark IV.

Hopefully it is a faster and better implementation in 90D.

Upvote 0
7D fanbase will have to wait. This is not a pro-spec body. Rather, a great update from the 70/80D.

Clear telltale signs this is not a 7DM2 substitute or merger: no dual card slots, single processing unit, and back wheel-control à la the middle tier 6DM2, not the beefier, heavier, 7DM2, 5DM4 and of course 1DX models (see image below).

Move along.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 3.36.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 3.36.26 PM.png
    316.1 KB · Views: 715
Upvote 0