Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

So, if there's no 7DII upgrade and if this is the last of the SLRs, I would have to choose between getting one of these and never buying anything else, or selling most things I have an "upgrading" (actually downgrading) to mirrorless full-frame.

The 24-70/2.8IS for the R's interests me, as does the 24-240. But I'd have to have a body with around 60-100MP so in crop mode it would be similar to the 90D (83.2MP would be equal). And I'd have to resign myself to tolerating an EVF.

That's a lot of money to spend to get something I don't really want, but the alternative is being stuck with unsupported hardware lines (EF, EF-s and EOS SLRs).

What are you lacking right this moment that would make you buy a new body? Not trying to be snarky, just curious.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Why not a 5DIV as a second body?

Because it has lower resolution (larger pixels) at the same focal length compared with my 7DII, much less the 90D. I'm often focal length limited even at 600mm.

I also have four crop-lenses (18-35/1.8, 10-18STM, 18-135nanoUSM, 55-250STM) and four full-frame lenses (8-15/4L, 50STM, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 150-600C).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Because it has lower resolution (larger pixels) at the same focal length compared with my 7DII, much less the 90D. I'm often focal length limited even at 600mm.

I also have four crop-lenses (18-35/1.8, 10-18STM, 18-135nanoUSM, 55-250STM) and four full-frame lenses (8-15/4L, 50STM, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 150-600C).
Makes sense. Here's hoping they put out something you can use.

Upvote 0
The issue is the 90D may not have tracking, but instead fixed AF when shooting 10fps, so whatever your focus point/plane was when you started a burst, that is where the AF stays. The AF does not actively track the subject in between frames. For me this would be a no go.

You passed right over Cryhavoc post (#46), which is most likely correct and took Tugela post (#47) to heart and now the sky is falling and Canon is doomed. I would read the / as an or. A/B is the same as A or B but saves 3 key strokes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
To be fair, you can't really fit a large back dial in a body that also has a tilty-flippy. But from the picture it appears that they have enlarged it a bit. They have moved the groove you use to flip open the display to the top right, and it appears the display is also more flush with the rest of the back surface, which improves the ergonomics as well.

Great observation. That would indicate some variation for future, higher-end, models.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

Then get the 90D and stop worrying about the future. EF and EF-S lenses are not "unsupported", they work flawlessly on RF and EF-M mounts. It doesn't matter if this is the 'last of the DSLRs' (which I highly doubt) or if Canon ever releases another new EF lens. What matters is if it fits your needs right now.

It's going to be a very long time before there are RF versions of every EF lens, if that ever happens. And EF lenses have two advantages on RF (control ring adapter and filter adapter). New EF lenses are still being made and Black Magic just used the EF mount in a (stunning) cinema camera. So buy what works for you today.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
A snip from the 90D video. Does the statement "During viewfinder shooting (AF fixed/tracking)" mean that when looking through the optical viewfinder and shooting at the high rate of 10 fps the AF is fixed; as in you have no AF available when shooting stills at 10fps? Please tell me I am reading this incorrectly.

Canon 90D fixed AF.png
Ha ha - Maybe it means they finally 'fixed' the AF. Now it works at 10fps? LOL

Upvote 0
I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't have AF expansion points. The particular type of action sports I shoot is problematic with tracking. Maybe the face part will help, I shoot BMX racing mostly and on my 80d I have to use zone, which can sometimes detect and focus on skin, sometimes not. In BMX racing most kids have full face helmets on so their faces are in shadow. Having it track that same point better with the AF expansion would have helped and was something I was hoping for.

The eye detection will be nice however when taking more static lower speed subjects, even if I can't use the viewfinder. I am hoping having an actual joystick will be an improvement over the R series when selecting which eye even if I do have to use the flip screen to use it.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
A snip from the 90D video. Does the statement "During viewfinder shooting (AF fixed/tracking)" mean that when looking through the optical viewfinder and shooting at the high rate of 10 fps the AF is fixed; as in you have no AF available when shooting stills at 10fps? Please tell me I am reading this incorrectly.

Canon 90D fixed AF.png

for me it indicates fixed and tracking, that's usually what a "/" is for

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The YouTube comments to this are quite a mess. The snark in some peoples comments is unreal. Canon is so far ahead of everyone in terms of market share despite beeing behind in so many spec sheet areas. Having caught up in sensor read out speed will allow them to get video, AF capabilities and FPS much higher. They don't have to exceed the competition in these areas. So far, beeing behind was enough. So having caught up is quite a big deal in itself.

I can't wait to get some results for Dr and ISO.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
And yet when people actually get to use Canon bodies, not just argue about spec sheets on the internet, they are almost universally considered great cameras and better than the sum of their parts.
Not sure I'd say universally and I'm pretty sure the RP isn't considered great, the 7d II wasn't great either, nor the 5d iv (from some users). Better than the sum of their parts is what you say when trying to find a reason to like something.

Upvote 0