Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So better connectivity, more pixels, and tilty-flippy screen over the 7DMII, plus AF enhancements. It will be interesting to see how 7D series users react to it. (I'm at least three years from replacing any of my current cameras, so I am just going to sit back and watch the show.)
Sample size of one says very interested. Waiting until it is actually released and reviews come in.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Not sure I'd say universally and I'm pretty sure the RP isn't considered great, the 7d II wasn't great either, nor the 5d iv (from some users). Better than the sum of their parts is what you say when trying to find a reason to like something.
I'm just curious, how many of these bodies that you are knocking do you actually own? Or, are you just trolling?

I don't own the RP, but it's certainly great for its price. The 7DII was a great camera at the time of release and still holds its own against much newer bodies. The 5D IV is also a great camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Spot AF and Joystick! Mmmmm my 2 out of the 3 musts. Now if it has programmable buttons just like 7DII I will probably oversee the 45 (instead of 65) AF points :)

EDIT: I just read above that it doesn't have AF expansion points :cry:
I wrote that based on the screen shots of the focus mode icons. Theoretically you could have a custom setting that enables it whenever manual AF selection is chosen, but I’m not sure if they’d implement that. If they have lifted this from other systems it could be buried to go along with the simpler 80d type interface.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
The connectivity is also very interesting.
If you can send photos and videos (?) to your phone or pc automatically, it will keep a lot of bloggers very happy.
I've been waiting for a replacement for my 70d and this new 90d seems a very good upgrade.
Sending photos to your phone is in the 80D so ya it has to be here.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
For me the big remaining question is sensor architecture and DR. Since they're not touting new and improved sensor technology on these splash videos my guess is that it's the old sensor tech with a MP bump. Same DR, more or less, is the way it would seem... We'll see....

These are very nice evolutionary upgrades, but I had hoped for kaikaku, not mere kaizen.
However, when Canon released the 80D and 1Dx mkII, which had much improved DR over previous Canon DSLRs, Canon made very little of it in their literature and promotional material. My guess as to the reason for this is that, firstly it would be acknowledging that DR matters, and previous Canon DSLRs, still in production at the time, were behind the times. Secondly, whilst the DR was much improved it was not class leading and a bit behind the opposition, so again not in Canon's interest to make too much of this. Therefore I don't believe you can read too much into this, because even if the DR was on par or even slightly better than all other APS-C cameras, highlighting it would put other Canon DSLRs, still in production, in less than good light. In other words, overall it's not in Canon's best interest to make too much about DR unless they were replacing the whole of their range with increased DR.

Upvote 0
Congrats, CanonRumors!
You got it right on all accounts: the new 32mp sensor and the fact that the 90D will replace both the 80D and 7D.
Job well done.

With a new sensor, an AF joystick, and 10fps,the 90D is definitely a step up from the 80D (which I own and love).
Should be a great camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
I think this pretty much confirms that there will be no 7D mkIII soon and that this is the stand in for it. The multi-controller and 10 fps tells us that. Likewise if it had IBIS, dual card slots or any of the other features hinted at in rumours, I think they'd have mentioned it in the video. The only thing we can't be certain of is the DR, or whether this is a Sony sensor, as it would not be in Canon's interest to make anything about this.

The big question is whether this is more or less the end of the line for DSLRs. It could very well be the last DSLR in this category. However, it's interesting that Canon are producing an EVF for the M6, which tends to suggest no more APS-C M cameras with viewfinders for a while.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
Very interesting—but I'd prefer a R-Crop. Even if I have to wait another year.
I think there might be one, even if not right away. Canon seem to have introduced the 90D as a stop gap for the lack of a 7D mkIII, but this doesn't mean that Canon won't produce an R version of it. If Canon are going to bring out new RF long lenses, this could create a niche for an APS-C R camera for reach.

Upvote 0
In fact it looks closer to 7DII than to 80D. Joystick, weather sealing, optical viewfinder, improved AF - what else do wildlifers need?
But for me, the most interesting question is the sensor specs and DR. Also, does it have an AA filter?

Most likely it'll gave the same sensor as the new M6II. I'm not into 90D but I might be interested in M6II as a hiking landscape camera, the question is, is this sensor any close to 5DIV?

Upvote 0
Yes, like the current higher-end Canon DSLRs. Although with any luck this version is improved from the 7D2, for example. The 80D with its much lower-res 7600-pixel metering sensor also has "skintone detection" but naturally it's less capable.

This is not new; the >100kpix metering sensors in the 7D2, 5D4, 1DX, and 1DX2 can also track faces (as part of the more general "iTR" feature). Although being able to switch between detected faces would be a new feature. The joystick's primary purpose is certainly switching between AF points, just like other joystick-equipped Canon bodies.

I'd wager they're soon going to lose the FF resolution crown as well.
The 80D already has face detection, that isn't just a 7dii thing.

Upvote 0