Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
I found it to be pretty flaky with the 7D. But then again, I found the entire AF system of my 7D to be pretty flaky. The shot-to-shot variation was ridiculous. What good does it do to make such a highly configurable AF system if it can't decide whether to front-focus or back-focus from one frame to the next!

It works much better for me with the 7D Mark II and the 5D Mark III than it did with the 7D.
Agree 100%. The AF on the 7D was awful with it for some lenses and, for example, would not reliably AF with my 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTCIII, as others found to their cost. But, that was cured with the 7DII and I found the 5DS R even better. The 7DII only has the centre AF for f/8, and only the centre point is a high precision one. Canon has the technology for upgrading the 7DII, and it is frustrating it doesn't do so.

Durf

Picture Taker - Image Maker
You are correct. I don't know what I was looking at when I looked it up last night.
yes, I figured you just slipped ;)

I have pretty good luck with focusing using the 80D, I actually really am impressed with its focusing capability. I'm not shooting a lot of fast action stuff, but a lot of birds and some aircraft taking off and landing etc etc. I often use the center point at f/8 with my Sigma 150-600mm and my success rate I would guess is about 80% to 90% keepers. (in decent light). My 70-300mm IS USM L-Lens is on my 80D probably 90% of the time and I never have hardly any issues with focusing, either one shot or the center 9.

I'm not very familiar with using the 7D Mark ii but using the 80D now for almost 3 years, I really love the camera and it handles almost everything I throw at it. I've never had an issue with the 45pts being clumped together either. I personally think Canon hit a home-run with the 80D, it's really fun to use and a great camera.

Reactions: Orson Burleigh
Jul 22, 2016

I have pretty good luck with focusing using the 80D, I actually really am impressed with its focusing capability. I'm not shooting a lot of fast action stuff, but a lot of birds and some aircraft taking off and landing etc etc. I often use the center point at f/8 with my Sigma 150-600mm and my success rate I would guess is about 80% to 90% keepers. (in decent light). My 70-300mm IS USM L-Lens is on my 80D probably 90% of the time and I never have hardly any issues with focusing, either one shot or the center 9.

I'm not very familiar with using the 7D Mark ii but using the 80D now for almost 3 years, I really love the camera and it handles almost everything I throw at it. I've never had an issue with the 45pts being clumped together either. I personally think Canon hit a home-run with the 80D, it's really fun to use and a great camera.
You are right about the 80D: it has been an outstanding all-rounder camera, and it has set a very high bar for what might well be the last Canon x0D DSLR. Though a body with this CR1 list of specs would certain qualify a 90D as the ultimate prosumer Canon DSLR, this specs list occupies enough of the potential 7D Mark III niche to lend support to rumors that there will be a single replacement, merging both the x0D and 7D series.

Reactions: Wandor and Durf

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

At f/8 I would expect the keeper ratio to be very close to 100% in decent light with a 7D Mark II. I get 80% or better in bad high school football stadium light at f/2.8. The 80D is a very capable all around camera, in several ways superior to the 7D mark II, but its AF system is not at the same level as the 7D Mark II's.