Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

Dual card slot on a x0D and not on EOS R? No way.

Very true, but the rest of these specs on anything other than a XXD is absurd. Hopefully these specs are WAY OFF the mark. Maybe these reflect a 77D replacement and a combined XXD and 7D amalgamation will follow... at least that's the hope.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
My two cents:

Beware of CR1 rumors.

If this is correct, it does leave little room for a 7DIII, so if it comes to pass, I will expect there won't be a 7DIII. (Insert Sad Face Emoji here)

Combining the two lines was always going to present a problem for Canon, since 80D users won't want to give up the articulated screen and 7DII users don't want to give up controls that can't fit on a body with an articulated screen. I'm hoping that Canon does find a way to retain at least some of those controls.

More fps is always nice, but 10 is certainly adequate (even though it feels slow after using a 1DxII).

Autofocus point quantity is less important than quality of the autofocus system. A stop backward will be a deal breaker for me. Point spread is also more important than quantity of points.

Price point is very attractive, but that makes me worried about what Canon will cut from the 7D.

I'm not that worried about a slight drop in weather sealing. I don't push my look with the cameras anyway and use a cover in bad weather.

For my wife, who shoot with the 80D, this will be a great step up, especially with the additional fps and added resolution. For me, a step down from the 7D and might make me just stick to the 5D and 1D and keep using the 7D II in good light.

Now, in my fantasy world, this would mean a 7DIII with Cfast and SD slots, 14 fps, state of the art autofocus, 28mp sensor, etc. etc., but that is only a fantasy.
The question is what is selling. If the 7D line is fading more quickly than the 80D line, then Canon may decide to abandon the 7D. That would make sense. A few years ago, total DSLR sales, in the industry, were 13 million. It’s now much less, and continuing to shrink.

The fewer sales, the fewer models. Something has to go. It will be the least sustainable lines. Obviously, Canon is transitioning over to mirrorless full frame. They want to pull DSLR users to that, whether they are FF users, or APS-C users. APS-C is shrinking more than FF is, so that makes sense too.

Only Canon knows where their sales are in the various models, and where they seem to be going. They also have some idea as to which users are moving to which R body. And, they have at least one new R body coming out before too long, as well as more lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
This could be the final run of APS-C DSLRs though. Maybe the ultimate. (boo hoo )
I’d prefer 24MP with more FPS. ISO performance will be interesting. The 7DII wasn’t great at high ISO even at the time it came out. Focusing system too. It might well the ultimate APS-C mirrored from Canon.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
What is the deal with using the joystick for AF point selection anyway?

Because most people using the AF point selection are also using at a minimum Av or Tv and likely M mode, so the dial and control wheel are already allocated to exposure controls ( shutter and aperture respectively ).

I wouldn't want to cognitive load of trying to remember whether the wheel was setting aperture or focus point when following an aeroplane from shadow into light and desperately trying to stop-down...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
This one already sounds more like the 7D replacement, than the 80D one.
I was thinking the same thing, especially if the rumors are true that the 7D Series is history. They could beef up to a 65 point focus system and do a little better weather sealing and perhaps pop a joy stick in it and presto...a 7D3 that's called a 90D and that actually performs quite well!
If the 90D out performs my 80D, especially with better ISO capability and handing/focusing with long lenses, I'll likely buy it....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
What is the deal with using the joystick for AF point selection anyway? I hardly ever use it on the 5D4, for me it's much faster using the two wheels with thumb and index finger for horizontal and vertical shift of the AF point instead ...
There's a saying...'To each their own'. There is also market research, which Canon has done more than a smidge of. I personally don't like the shape of the camera strap lugs but that's not a reason to think a company should change them. Joysticks are well known to be loved and used to great advantage.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Given that this is supposed to be a merge with the 80D/90D, then a slight dumbing down is to be expected. Reasonable from a 2015 A.D. perspective. Not so hot in 2019. The M5 Mk II might have to be the savior.

It is not a light dumbing down. It is a disaster. Remember the EOS R. Canon needs to step up to be taken serious with their DSLR line.

I for one wants more coverage in order to get more flexibility when photographing. And I need a lot faster change of active AF point.

Upvote 0
...it's much faster using the two wheels with thumb and index finger for horizontal and vertical shift of the AF point instead ...

Yes. I thought I was the only one using this method. You can do this with the 7DM2 in full manual
thanks to the dedicated focus selection collar. It's very fast and easy to learn.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
It is not a light dumbing down. It is a disaster. Remember the EOS R. Canon needs to step up to be taken serious with their DSLR line.

I for one wants more coverage in order to get more flexibility when photographing. And I need a lot faster change of active AF point.
So the number one DSLR lines in the world aren’t being taken seriously? Since when?

Upvote 0

I don't disagree on having more AF points. I went to the M5 rather than the 80D and haven;t looked back. And I certainly am not going back to the future with the 90D. But disaster it's not. There's Sony. I'll see what the M5 II has but we all already know it's the Sony A7III with an MC11 adapter, don't we. And it's ok. Sony bodies and Canon lenses. If Canon can beat the A7III fine. Either way, it's all good when you don't give in to brand fan boyism.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
4K video at 24/25, 30 and 60fps (No word on DPAF in 4K recording)
Im not sure I buy 4k60 existing in the DSLR line at only the 1DXII and 90D level. Unless they are gonna put out a 5D upgrade to 60fps, just seems counter to how Canon does segmentation. I could believe that the SL3 and xxxD cameras get 4k/24 or 30, and the 90D got 4k/60 if its something they had already implemented elsewhere. Like if the R line had it.

Feels like the rumors for this camera have been all over the place for the last year. Doubt we're seeing it until Q3 at the earliest.

Upvote 0
Well, does it skips the AA filter ? (hopefully)
45 AF points are more than i need - i never ever use automatic AF point selection anyway, just one point with 4 surounding helper points - with 10fps this is more than enough for me to use it as a baby 1DX. Hopefully the body is small (like a D7500) but does allow for a grip. Joystick would be great ! Hopefully it also adds eye AF - by the way, it would be great to get this added to some DSLRs from Canon by firmware update....

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
What is the deal with using the joystick for AF point selection anyway? I hardly ever use it on the 5D4, for me it's much faster using the two wheels with thumb and index finger for horizontal and vertical shift of the AF point instead ...
You obviously are not in a hurry when you shoot with 5D4! Do you shoot birds?
I use one wheel to choose speed, one to choose aperture (Using Manual with auto iso) and the joystic to chose AF points. Even with portrait shooting joystic helps a lot. Of course YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I was thinking the same thing, especially if the rumors are true that the 7D Series is history. They could beef up to a 65 point focus system and do a little better weather sealing and perhaps pop a joy stick in it and presto...a 7D3 that's called a 90D and that actually performs quite well!
If the 90D out performs my 80D, especially with better ISO capability and handing/focusing with long lenses, I'll likely buy it....
A 7D replacement will require that joy stick you said, Quick Control Dial (regular size, not mini), and non-articulating LCD. Otherwise it’s a 80D mark II.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The 7D should have been the priority.
Yeah but if a 90D hits the market it indicates that Canon is not yet finished with mirror slappers. I'd love to have a substantially improved 7D3, that means, I'd expect Canon to improve the 7D2's mediocre phase AF system. The 7D's DP AF in live view is already nice, but the interface could be improved (touch screen, tilt screen).

Upvote 0