Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

Because most people using the AF point selection are also using at a minimum Av or Tv and likely M mode, so the dial and control wheel are already allocated to exposure controls ( shutter and aperture respectively ).

I wouldn't want to cognitive load of trying to remember whether the wheel was setting aperture or focus point when following an aeroplane from shadow into light and desperately trying to stop-down...
I am usually in Av mode (mostly take pictures of people rather than action), and have the front wheel set to change aperture. To change the focus point (I almost always use single point AF) I press the AF point selector button first, then quickly move the AF point using front and/or back wheels. For me, this is still faster than using the joystick, which I need to press once for every AF point move. So going from the rightmost to the leftmost AF point in the 5D4 takes 10 clicks using the joystick, but only one press on the AF point selector button and a quick rotation of the wheel.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Not sure how i feel about this. It is certainly not a good enough camera to upgrade from my 7d2. Lacking the build quality, joystick and af point selection lever, fewer af points, small wheel and (I would assume a smaller body) it would not be the 'professional' apsc body that a 7series is.it would be an awesome upgrade however from an 80d and even would have a few things(primarily the upgraded sensor) that a 7d2 user would like.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You obviously are not in a hurry when you shoot with 5D4! Do you shoot birds?
I use one wheel to choose speed, one to choose aperture (Using Manual with auto iso) and the joystic to chose AF points. Even with portrait shooting joystic helps a lot. Of course YMMV.
No, I don't shoot birds, nor do I frequently shoot in rapidly changing lighting conditions. Therefore exposure parameters get changed much less frequently than AF points (which I move almost always between shots). And that's why I prefer to quickly change the AF point using the wheels instead of the joystick, at the cost of one extra press of the AF point selector button, and the need to set aperture and/or speed before AF point selection. I don't think I could manage to consciously set all three - aperture, speed, and AF point - simultaneously anyway.

Upvote 0
A 7D replacement will require that joy stick you said, Quick Control Dial (regular size, not mini), and non-articulating LCD. Otherwise it’s a 80D mark II.

Dual card slots in an "80D Mark II" so to speak is a hint towards a 7D2 replacement type of camera. The 90D may be really the 7D Mark II replacement and have all the bells and whistles of the 7D2 and then some.

Upvote 0
Watch the 90D outsell the RP and R put together. Canon won't kill a market segment they sell so many units in. The R seems like a great camera, but it's $2k body only. The RP is crippled and with one decent RF lens is $2k+. Meanwhile, the 90D will be available with a decent selection of cheap EFS lenses, that many already have. For many, it will get the job done at a much lower price point.
Have you try to shoot full frame? image quality difference is night and day. compare to price difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If these are correct, I may look into buying one, especially if it uses the LPE6(N). I've had my 7D II for quite a while (more than two years, which is a long time for me in GASland), and it'd be nice to get some upgrades, like the articulating screen. 10 FPS is sufficient for me, and I almost never use all 65 points, so I don't mind that, either. I was thinking about the Sony A7000, if it ever comes out (I already have the A7 III and A6400), but this might be my final DSLR, as opposed to getting another mirrorless body. I still prefer DSLRs for wildlife, and the 7D II is the last DSLR I own.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
People asking for 4k 60p, full frame 4k, 1080p 120fps, etc... please remember we are talking about Canon here. If Canon gives center cropped 4k30p with DPAF, and a decent file format unlike MJPEG consider that as generous from Canon. Dual Digic does not sound like Canon at all at this price point. If this sensor has as much DR as 80d sensor consider all people who buys this camera lucky. If it gets dual SD card one will be UHS-II and other will be UHS-1. Anything more consider that as bonus.

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
My current 7DMII has 386,000 clicks on it and is rated for 200,000. I've got some big trips in the next 6 mo--puffins and sea birds off Scotland, then on to Grimsey Is off Iceland for more of the same, brown bears in Alaska, and finally ending the year in South Georgia and the Falklands for more penguins and the birds of the Southern Seas. I bought the R for my wide angle/landscape camera but I've been hamstrung by Canon over what to do about my crop sensor wildlife camera. Last week I finally gave up and bought a new gray market 7DMII to get me through the rest of the year until I see what happens with Canon over the next 6 mo to year. The couple who are leading the Bear shoot have been life long Canon shooters and multiple BBC/Nature Best winners and in the last several months switched to the Olympus OMD EM MIX. Will be interesting to check out their systems this summer. I love Canon's system but looks like they are abandoning the crop sensor wildlife market.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
My current 7DMII has 386,000 clicks on it and is rated for 200,000. I've got some big trips in the next 6 mo--puffins and sea birds off Scotland, then on to Grimsey Is off Iceland for more of the same, brown bears in Alaska, and finally ending the year in South Georgia and the Falklands for more penguins and the birds of the Southern Seas. I bought the R for my wide angle/landscape camera but I've been hamstrung by Canon over what to do about my crop sensor wildlife camera. Last week I finally gave up and bought a new gray market 7DMII to get me through the rest of the year until I see what happens with Canon over the next 6 mo to year. The couple who are leading the Bear shoot have been life long Canon shooters and multiple BBC/Nature Best winners and in the last several months switched to the Olympus OMD EM MIX. Will be interesting to check out their systems this summer. I love Canon's system but looks like they are abandoning the crop sensor wildlife market.
Canon won't abandon a market. But, the market is abandoning them. Sales of all cameras are dropping and expected to keep going south. The cost to produce and service a camera model is high and requires a minimum level of sales to sustain. Stocking spare parts, training service techs, it all adds up. Then, there is the consumer demand for mirrorless that competes for resources. That means the least profitable cameras may go away. If someone else wants to make them and lose money, they may pay the price, or maybe the market will support one manufacturer but not many. Its a unfortunate situation, but many buyers are happy with camera phones.

I had purchased almost every APS-C model over the years, but not a 7D MK II, The low light performance of APS C limits the 7D MK II to situations where there is more light than my 5D MK IV or EOS R requires, so I use FF. I do not need 10 FPS either, even with my high FPS 1 series cameras, I preferred to use 1 shot rather than sorting thru hundreds of rapid fire photos. I can see where some people need it, but I am part of the reason Canon is seeing slower sales of the 7D MK II.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
If it gets dual SD card one will be UHS-II and other will be UHS-1. Anything more consider that as bonus.

I don't see this happening. Ordering, installing, and maintaining one type of slot is simpler and cheaper than two. E.g. Canon wouldn't want to delay fixing a camera because the UHS-x slot is broken, but the local shop doesn't have one in stock, or a technician mistakenly fixing a UHS-II slot by replacing it with a UHS-I slot.

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Canon won't abandon a market. But, the market is abandoning them. Sales of all cameras are dropping and expected to keep going south. The cost to produce and service a camera model is high and requires a minimum level of sales to sustain. Stocking spare parts, training service techs, it all adds up. Then, there is the consumer demand for mirrorless that competes for resources. That means the least profitable cameras may go away. If someone else wants to make them and lose money, they may pay the price, or maybe the market will support one manufacturer but not many. Its a unfortunate situation, but many buyers are happy with camera phones.

I had purchased almost every APS-C model over the years, but not a 7D MK II, The low light performance of APS C limits the 7D MK II to situations where there is more light than my 5D MK IV or EOS R requires, so I use FF. I do not need 10 FPS either, even with my high FPS 1 series cameras, I preferred to use 1 shot rather than sorting thru hundreds of rapid fire photos. I can see where some people need it, but I am part of the reason Canon is seeing slower sales of the 7D MK II.
I rarely use it for the speed but do use it for the reach effect so that I don't have to use as heavy equip when hand holding to get the same reach as full frame.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
It looks a good upgrade to 80D. Dual Digic takes it closer to 7D level but I think the body will be like 80D, and 45 points make it obvious.
This is like a hybrid between 7D II and 80D.
By the way, 32.5MP is quite close to 8K dimensions :) No that Canon will come up with 8K but they may be thinking to continue with this MP for a looong time :)

Upvote 0