Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Gosh I hope they don't rehash the 80D's AF system. Time to get your act together Canon you're a distant 3rd or 4th these days.
? Canon is outselling both Sony and Nikon by a large chunk for ILC sales. Also whats wrong with 80D af system? Nikon has been using 51pt at unit for ages and still people are getting good results with cameras which use that Af module. Ultimately its the person using the tool thats important and not the tool.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Watch the 90D outsell the RP and R put together. Canon won't kill a market segment they sell so many units in. The R seems like a great camera, but it's $2k body only. The RP is crippled and with one decent RF lens is $2k+. Meanwhile, the 90D will be available with a decent selection of cheap EFS lenses, that many already have. For many, it will get the job done at a much lower price point.
I have a R and an 80D - The R beets the 80D hands down for picture quality.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
My previous post about lenses was incomplete. But you got the meaning, Future birders/wild life photographers with no system yet they may choose Nikon due to these two lenses.

I think it is more likely that, if you can afford the choice, you take the Nikon 80-400 mm instead of the 200-500 mm, unless you REALLY REALLY need the extra mm's. The Nikon 80-400 mm is much better than the Nikon 200-500mm.
And together with the D500 that is an awesome combination!

Upvote 0
Lets not forget that the 80D -that I bought as a fall back cam- has 9 cross type AF points sensitive enough to work at f=8. It allows even for tracking birds with my 100-400mm mkII and the 1.4x extender installed.
I found that and still find it an great improvement over my 7D mk II. And thanks to the touch screen, I haven't missed the joy stick for one second.
Apart from that the performance of the 24 mp sensor-chip isn't bad eighter!
It turns out that I use the 80D more than the 7D mkII, these days. But I agree, a 7D mk III or any other seriuous APS-C cam is way, way overdue.

In the case of the 200-400 mm with 1.4TC you are right: then you simply need the f/8 AF-points for the combo to just work.

But for the rest my experiences are quite different. I also have both the 80D and the 7D Mk II.
With the 100-400 II, the AF on the 7D Mk II is faster and more reliable than on the 80D when fast moving aircraft and birds are concerned. The same goes for the 500 mm II.
Only when subjects do not move fast and/or eratically, will the difference between the 2 be less noticeable or even absent.
That is why in for fast action I always take the 7D Mk II - and have the 80D as a backup or have it ready with e.g. the 15-85 or the 70-200 on it (because the 80D is certainly noy completely useless for action photography).

And when I have to be quick (for instance during an airshow when planes come from the left and a moment later from the right), the "joy stick" is sooooo much quicker: no need to take your eye from the viewfinder, just toggle it and keep shooting.
Also here, it only matters wwith fast action and quick changing circumstances. No need for this when shooting a toddler crawling around. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Gosh I hope they don't rehash the 80D's AF system. Time to get your act together Canon you're a distant 3rd or 4th these days.

What's wrong with the 80D AF? Sure the extra spread of the 7DII would be nice, but proportionally the 80D spread is comparable to the Pro FF cameras. In terms of number of points, 45 is more than enough for where 80D sits in the product line and they're all cross-type. In terms of speed or accuracy, I've never had any issues.

The 80D isn't perfect by any means, but the AF system is one of the things I wouldn't have many complaints about.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I think it is more likely that, if you can afford the choice, you take the Nikon 80-400 mm instead of the 200-500 mm, unless you REALLY REALLY need the extra mm's. The Nikon 80-400 mm is much better than the Nikon 200-500mm.
The Canon 100-400 II is excellent too.

Upvote 0
Joystick over flippy screen vote here. While the articulating screen is nice for a few situations, the joystick is paramount for most. I think the issue for me, someone who left the 7 Series behind for the 5 Series is noise. Sort that out and you'll have a winner with all the current specs of the 7Dll.
why not both?

• Love
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not what the main reviewers say about its performance at 400mm. Lensrentals in their 400mm shootout:
"Commonly called the 80-400 VR II, this lens has been the Nikon 400mm zoom for some time now. It’s, well, it’s better up to about 300mm, but it’s just not that good when you stretch it out to 400mm. Not a great performance for a lens that demands a premium price."
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/08/the-sort-of-great-400mm-shootout/

And lenstip's measurements show it to be inferior to the 100-400mm II
https://www.lenstip.com/448.4-Lens_...400_mm_f_4.5-5.6G_ED_VR_Image_resolution.html

And there are various other reviews that don't rate it at 400mm that I have read and can't be bothered to seek out, but here is one I remember by ePhotozine https://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-nikkor-80-400mm-f-4-5-5-6g-ed-vr-ii-review-22065

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It’s on a 80D body (##D platform). If the foundation, the utility of the camera (joystick, regular size quick control dial), is not there, then it doesn’t qualified as a 7D upgrade. It sounds like a 80D Mark II (or 90D)
Did I miss it? I've seen no mention of anything related to the body type rumored. It might just as well be a 7D Body, even though that does seeem unlikly given the rumored price.

Maybe all the software options will be included and the joystick be replaced by touch and drag AF. Would make sense as a cost saving measure and probably be okay for the target audience.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Personally, I don't believe in this spec, but I also don't see a problem for Canon to have 4k60 in 5D5 if the new Digic they supposedly put into 90D is able to handle it without overheating.
I meant more in the sense that we're certainly a 1yr+ from a 5DV, and Canon doesnt traditionally use firmware to upgrade major features (like 4k60), so itd be odd for a 90D to be on market for a year before any canon full-frame does it.

Though I guess if a pro R model did it, that'd cover their usual segmentation bases.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I meant more in the sense that we're certainly a 1yr+ from a 5DV, and Canon doesnt traditionally use firmware to upgrade major features (like 4k60), so itd be odd for a 90D to be on market for a year before any canon full-frame does it.

Though I guess if a pro R model did it, that'd cover their usual segmentation bases.

Remember that a number of significant features were introduced in 'prosumer' models, and most of these in the APS-C camears, e.g.:
  • articulating screen in the 60D
  • touchscreen in the Rebel 650D
  • continuous AF while shooting movies in the 650D
  • DPAF in the 70D
  • the -3 EV sensitive AF central point in the 6D

There is no real barrier (marketing or otherwise) to provide / introduce 4k60 in a 'lower' tier of Canon DSLR / APS-C mirrorless models either.

Paul

Upvote 0
It's the weight! I am suffering from tendonitis in one foot and every lb or kg is bad. An new ultralight 400/5.6 on a high resolution body would be most welcome.
When I bought a 400mm f2.8 LIS (mkI) I took up weight lifting / strength training so I could handle the lens better. I still keep up with the lifting in the gym and it's kind of brought a new lease of life to this 'ol hound dog.

Upvote 0