Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon is set to announce the EOS 90D at the end of August, likely around the 28th of the month. Leaks and misdirections should start to populate the internet between now and then.
I have been sent some information that I cannot verify about the upcoming Canon EOS 90D, and it’s a head-scratcher of a specification list, but I’ll let you folks dissect it, and hopefully, I can confirm these specifications as true or not in the coming days.
There is one enormous and confusing bit of information in this spec list. Please do not take this as fact until we upgrade the rating.
Canon EOS 90D Specifications (Rumored)

Mirrorless APS-C camera body (?????)

CR’s Take: Perhaps this means an EVF, and not mirrorless? We hope to learn more soon.

31.2mp APS-C sensor (We’ve seen registration of a 32.5mp sensor)
Shoots 4K with no crop (No mention of DPAF)
Has full coverage of the sensor for AF
10fps
Can...
Continue reading...

Last edited:

Danglin52

EOS T7i
Aug 8, 2018
I don't believe this is the 90d, but if it is the 90d or M5 II I would take it in a heartbeat with the following (I now I am dreaming):
  1. 100 shot RAW buffer
  2. 3+ mp EVF w/120htz refresh rate
  3. Great high ISO performance to ISO 6400

tiggy@mac.com

Pentax K-1000
Jan 20, 2014
Thetford, VT
www.ForestMetrix.com
I think it’s pretty funny that we can’t completely dismiss this as false. Canon makes such odd decisions at times that something as unlikely as this could be true.

We’re this a forum for another brand, I don’t think it would be paid much heed.

Doesn’t make it likely, of course, but we can bask in the prospect of surreal improbability in the absence of pro grade updates.

flip314

EOS 80D
Sep 26, 2018
I can't imagine a mirrorless EF camera, I can't imagine this camera getting 4K without crop, and I can't imagine people putting up with another camera that gets 4K without DPAF.

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
Sep 9, 2014
I can't imagine a mirrorless EF camera, I can't imagine this camera getting 4K without crop, and I can't imagine people putting up with another camera that gets 4K without DPAF.
I guess I don't get the whole video w/crop factor. For full-frame I can sort of see cropping. But why the need to crop 4K on a crop sensor? Or am I just dense? I'm not much of a video guy.

criscokkat

EOS RP
Sep 26, 2017
Madison, WI
Im wondering if someone is mixing up live view mode with viewfinder mode. If this chip is what they say it is (very fast readouts) then there’s no reason why new digic chips couldn’t keep up. But I can’t see it as being mirrorless without it being an r mount.

That being said, maybe it has an R mount but the only packages for it include an adapter and EF-S lenses? If the sensor size is aps-c all of the current EF-S lenses will work fine. The full frame R lenses are not wide enough on the low end as they all start at 24.

Reactions: navastronia

Pape

EOS RP
Dec 31, 2018
mirrorless ef for birdlers makes kind of sense ,there isnt anyway any supertele for RF or tele converters.
Or rather there isnt M super teles and may take many year before there is. canon is busy with RF lenses many year.
Now why design two camera when can just put EF mount to m5ii and put 90d label

Last edited:
Looks like the mixture of the 90D and M5 II, or M5 II itself. Worrying speculation about the missing DPAF. Now a technical quesiton - is DPAF a disadvantage in terms of DR? I mean - if Canon would go without the DPAF for its new generation of sensors, would high / low ISO performance benefit? Of course the question it, how their new AF system would effectively work then .....

Avenger 2.0

EOS M50
Jul 30, 2017
Looks like the mixture of the 90D and M5 II, or M5 II itself. Worrying speculation about the missing DPAF. Now a technical quesiton - is DPAF a disadvantage in terms of DR? I mean - if Canon would go without the DPAF for its new generation of sensors, would high / low ISO performance benefit? Of course the question it, how their new AF system would effectively work then .....
Can't imagine the 90D will be missing DPAF or it will at least have some decent PDAF that is as good.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Mirrorless sonds a bit odd at this time. So the questionmarks seem quite right.
Everything else... why not?

We'll see... hopefully by the end of August.

edoorn

EOS 80D
Apr 1, 2016
yeah agree, very questionable. I think IBIS is more likely than a mirrorless component; that would be a very confusing move and signal to the customer base. But we'll see.

max_sr

EOS T7i
Jan 8, 2019
I don't think DPAF is negatively affecting dynamic range. With some clever tricks built into the sensor, it could even be beneficial.
But it is a weakness with respect to high framerate shooting. Canon basically has to read two images from the sensor, then do their focus calculations and combine the two images to one. That's why you don't get the 8fps on the EOS R with AF.

Reactions: Kharan