Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

Ale_F

6D - 7D
Nov 22, 2018
I took these info in another POV.

ML is the future. What is the modality to keep together aps-c, EF and ML. Not to do an RF-Aps-c but to do a EOS M with EF(S) flange.
With this view, the ML mention has sense.

BillB

EOS 6D MK II
May 11, 2017
Well, this fits with the old rumor that one on the cameras released in 2019 would be a head scratcher. (And it Is a CR1) ( and there is no CRO rating)

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
Why would the new M be mixed up with the 90d? Wouldn't they just use the same sensor, which is the Canon way? I can't imagine why they'd make separate 31 and 32 inch aps-c sensors.

Avenger 2.0

EOS M50
Jul 30, 2017
What would be the advantage of a mirrorless with EF mount? A mirrorless with R or M mount and EF adaptor would be much better.

Reactions: FredEOS

Danglin52

EOS T7i
Aug 8, 2018
Why would the new M be mixed up with the 90d? Wouldn't they just use the same sensor, which is the Canon way? I can't imagine why they'd make separate 31 and 32 inch aps-c sensors.
I said in an earlier post, it may be that they are stating Effective Pixels rather than total pixels.

Jasonmc89

EOS 80D + 100-400mm mkii
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Interesting...

Firstly, maybe the registered 32.5mp sensor is listed as 31.2mp due to the IBIS?

I’d be incredibly surprised to see an EF mirrorless! If this is true, then Canon should not have bothered with the RF mount (yet) and just used their EF mount for their mirrorless range. Sure, the RF mount enables incredible lenses but Canons EF lenses are already pretty incredible so..

koenkooi

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 25, 2015
What would be the advantage of a mirrorless with EF mount? A mirrorless with R or M mount and EF adaptor would be much better.
A perceived advantage could be using EF(-s) lenses without an adapter. I have nothing put praise for the RF-EF adapters, but some folks just can't stand the idea.

Reactions: Del Paso

Danglin52

EOS T7i
Aug 8, 2018
Canon may have had this camera in process as a test bed for new technology prior to completion of the R interface and components that could be used for full system testing. The camera may have been stuffed with all the latests tech on an EF platform - sensor, communications channels, digit processors, IBIS, new AF as a testbed, EVF with fast refresh. It could be the tech demonstrator to pull the flock back together. Do I hope for that, Yes. Do I expect a 5d type miracle, NO. As someone else said, it is humorous that we wonder if there is truth in this rumors because of the crazy things Canon has done n the past. Let's hope they are Bats*** crazy and release a killer last EF mount camera (plus the 1dxIII. Who knows?

angrykarl

R, M5
Jul 19, 2017
Prague
www.flickr.com

In one of the recent IBIS patents, Canon has what seems to be an EF-mount mirrorless camera with EVF and IBIS. It's just a patent, but it's obvious that Canon at least experiments with EF mirrorless things. (It also seems to have a mirror inside the EVF, so technically it's not mirrorless. :ROFLMAO:)

canonical

EOS 80D
Jul 3, 2019
Mirrorfree EOS M5 II is all that's needed for APS-C. no more 90D.
#end of slapping mirrors @ Canon.
i like!

i_SH

I'm New Here
Aug 31, 2018
Assuming the characteristics of the camera EOS 90D, we can hope for the camera ML EOS 5DS II, which will have 80 megapixels)

Last edited:

Pape

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 31, 2018
I don't think DPAF is negatively affecting dynamic range. With some clever tricks built into the sensor, it could even be beneficial.
But it is a weakness with respect to high framerate shooting. Canon basically has to read two images from the sensor, then do their focus calculations and combine the two images to one. That's why you don't get the 8fps on the EOS R with AF.
I would think higher DR and DPAF both slows readout,more data needed get out sensor? so if you get both frame rate would be super slow?
hey maybe its sony sensor with canon patents so no dpaf and no cropping =8k .
werent here earlier some fake rumours about backlighted 32mpix 7Diii

Last edited:
Interesting...

Firstly, maybe the registered 32.5mp sensor is listed as 31.2mp due to the IBIS?

I’d be incredibly surprised to see an EF mirrorless! If this is true, then Canon should not have bothered with the RF mount (yet) and just used their EF mount for their mirrorless range. Sure, the RF mount enables incredible lenses but Canons EF lenses are already pretty incredible so..
There is imo very low chance we will see EF mirrorless, unless we would have to consider Canon being just insane. Why would they come up with a RF mount then, risking by making it even an M mount incompatible? I still somehow can't accept the fact, that there is no upgrade path for an M mount cameras. What is imo more likely, is the chance of an APS-C with a RF mount.

Last edited:

blackcoffee17

EOS RP
Sep 17, 2014
There is imo very low chance we will see EF mirrorless, unless we would have to consdier Canon being just insane. Why would they come up with RF mount then, risking by making it even an M mount incompatible? I still somehow can't accept the fact, that thre is no upgrade path for an M mount cameras. What is imo more likely, is the chance of an APS-C with a RF mount.
Canon made a mistake in my opinion in 2012 when they designed the M mount and not accounted for a future FF mount.
I think they thought that mirrorless will always remain a cheap and consumer line and will never go FF.

The M would be the perfect system to complement the RF system if would be compatible with RF lenses.

Reactions: -pekr-

criscokkat

EOS RP
Sep 26, 2017
Madison, WI
I would think higher DR and DPAF both slows readout,more data needed get out sensor? so if you get both frame rate would be super slow?
hey maybe its sony sensor with canon patents so no dpaf and no cropping =8k .
werent here earlier some fake rumours about backlighted 32mpix 7Diii
It does require more data but I don’t believe that affects DR as much. Dynamic Range has more to do with the minimum amount of photons needed to trigger the pixels while keeping the noise to a minimum.in fact, Canon has been working on quad pixel Autofocus technology for a while that could theoretically be saved separately so that software Pixel shifts that into a much bigger image programmatically.

The biggest impediment to doing this is simply that Canons sensor chip fabs are way, way, way behind Sony’s in the ‘die’ size. This makes each sweep of readouts from every pixel take way longer than Sony’s sensors do. That’s why the quality of the picture is nearly the same but the speed isnt. The silicon under the pixels (which by physics are nearing their limits) can be much smaller than canons current tech, which means faster and less power. As you get smaller the cost of manufacturing goes up almost exponentially. Sony sells millions of chips to cell phone manufacturers, Canon doesn’t. If they have invested in a new fab, expect to see canon made chips in other brands In the future. If they haven’t, they might be outsourcing the fabrication of the sensors to a third party. They are a major player in lithoscope technology which is a component of a fab so their costs would be less expensive than other companies, but that is just one step of many in the expense of creating a new fab.

Reactions: Pape

peters

EOS 80D
Dec 25, 2017
I guess I don't get the whole video w/crop factor. For full-frame I can sort of see cropping. But why the need to crop 4K on a crop sensor? Or am I just dense? I'm not much of a video guy.
Canon uses a 1:1 pixel readout for 4k. They are somehow unable to sample a 4k image out of the full sensor area. maybe a heat or processor or sensor redout speed related problem. So they "fix" this by just taking the middle area for 4k with 3840x2160 pixels. this results in an insane crop mode on higher resolution bodies.

In the industry, nobody wants this, its just bullshit. Super 35 (about 1,5, so about the same as canon APS-C) is a nice format for filmmakers (you can shoot wide open with it with super fast primes, without a toooo shallow depth of field. But 1,9 crop like on the 5d iv is just completely unusable (paired with the completely insane rolling shutter, it rendered the 5d iv VERY unpopular amonst filmmakers)

canonnews

EOS RP
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
The biggest impediment to doing this is simply that Canons sensor chip fabs are way, way, way behind Sony’s in the ‘die’ size. This makes each sweep of readouts from every pixel take way longer than Sony’s sensors do. That’s why the quality of the picture is nearly the same but the speed isnt.
These two things are unrelated.