Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

canonnews

EOS RP
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
They are related though, a smaller process node allows for more electronics to be implemented on the sensor than a larger process node which can help with readout speed.
Perhaps but it's a big leap to state that the node size IS the problem. it's more to do with Canon's choice of ADC. Canon uses ramp comparator ADC's for their on sensor ADC's. These just get pretty slow if you want precision and low power drain. We didn't see much performance increase in Canon's sensors when they changed node size with the 1DX to the 1DX Mark II as an example. Just because you can decrease the node size doesn't necessarily mean faster.

Last edited:

slclick

PINHOLE
Dec 17, 2013
I want a Mirrorless APS-C camera with either an EF or RF mount. I've invested too much in lenses to want an EF-M.

IMHO, this is where the market is at. I hope Canon is doing their homework.
I have a hunch they have a few people on it.

Reactions: sanj

Philrp

I'm New Here
Sep 2, 2018
Other than size, why APS-C rather than FF?
Size, reach and cost. I shoot a lot of live events and the reach aspect of things gives me more flexibility than the slight extra noise costs me.

In good light, APS-C is very close to FF and in bad light, post processing and the small file size required for most digital uses negates the need for FF.

YuengLinger

EOS 5D MK IV
Dec 20, 2012
Southeastern USA
Size, reach and cost. I shoot a lot of live events and the reach aspect of things gives me more flexibility than the slight extra noise costs me.

In good light, APS-C is very close to FF and in bad light, post processing and the small file size required for most digital uses negates the need for FF.
Thanks for replying.

Yes, our needs are definitely shaped by our shooting! Yours and mine seem to be opposite. When shooting events or available light portraits, the better IQ from the larger sensor and better lenses trumps other considerations.

Plus, I've had both FF and APS-C for years, and I just don't buy into the claims about "reach." At least not in enough situations to give up the FF advantages. I'd rather crop in when needed than always have more noise with the APS-C. (But if I shot wildlife more often, I might better understand the need/desire to get more pixels right on a subject, willing to use just the core of those amazing Great White elements.)

Cherish our differences and be grateful we have options, I say.

Last edited:

domo_p1000

I'm New Here
Aug 22, 2013
Hmmm...
The only other time Canon has used the '90' moniker was on their last ever, and most sophisticated FD camera, the T90 (although the T60 came out after this, it that was built by Cosina). It always seemed odd to me that it never featured in the roll film EOS system. While it's too early for them to terminate the EOS system, it would be the camera equivalent to the Circle of Life where they to mark the end of the EOS system with the EOS 90D!

YuengLinger

EOS 5D MK IV
Dec 20, 2012
Southeastern USA
Hmmm...
The only other time Canon has used the '90' moniker was on their last ever, and most sophisticated FD camera, the T90 (although the T60 came out after this, it that was built by Cosina). It always seemed odd to me that it never featured in the roll film EOS system. While it's too early for them to terminate the EOS system, it would be the camera equivalent to the Circle of Life where they to mark the end of the EOS system with the EOS 90D!
Poetic, but isn't "EOS" (Electro-Optical System) still being used with the new R? And the M?

canonical

EOS 80D
Jul 3, 2019
Maybe Canon feels that in the short term EF/EF-S mirrorless cameras are needed, due to a lack of RF and EOS-M lenses.
thereis no lack of EF-M lenses. every focal length between 11mm and 200mm that can be made with decent IQ in a compact lens at an affordable price is well covered. everything else is available as EF or - soon enough - as RF lens.

Reactions: uri.raz and pj1974

canonnews

EOS RP
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
thereis no lack of EF-M lenses. every focal length between 11mm and 200mm that can be made with decent IQ in a compact lens at an affordable price is well covered. everything else is available as EF or - soon enough - as RF lens.
personally i really only see one more lens from Canon for the EF-M mount, somewhere around a 50-55mm 1.4 would be swell.

after that, I'm not really sure I need anything for an ultra compact take it with me anywhere camera kit.

Now that Sigma has that coming out soon, i'm not even sure I need Canon to make one anymore either lol.

neonlight

EOS 80D
Jul 10, 2015
If Nikon have dropped the D500 then even more likely that there is no 7DIII. That must mean an R body with APS-C would be its replacement?
Not sure a 90D would be a suitable upgrade from 7D2.

preppyak

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 18, 2011
What about the video specs? 120fps in HD?
Canon is very predictable overall. Even when they "shake things up" like they did with the RP, its in a very segmented way (leaving off DPAF, randomly leaving off 1080/24, having no 1080 mode for EF-S lenses, etc) to protect other products. So, in this case, the 90D will almost certainly not surpass the 5dIV or EOS-R in major ways.

So that means things we almost certainly wont find, that people would want, are

4k60
1080/120
10-bit internal

Things we might find because they arent a major issue:

no crop on 4k (because 1.6x is loosely equal to the 5dIV's 1.7x crop)
IBIS (since it'll likely exist in future EOS R models)

And things we'll almost certainly find because they've been standardized to some models:

4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output
C-Log profile option
ALL-I and IPB quality options
4k, but not DCI 4k.
Rolling shutter that's pretty bad

And it will continue to be the case that if you're looking for pure video quality, a GH5 + speedbooster will be better than a 90D. If you need a camera that is 75/25 photography, then its a tougher proposition to decide on. And I say this as someone shooting A-cam GH5, and b-cam 80D since its my primary photo camera. A 90d with useable 4k (or 6dII for that matter) would have really helped me out this summer.

Reactions: xanbarksdale