Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

flip314

EOS RP
Sep 26, 2018
A telephoto zoom and a standard zoom in higher quality would be great. The 50-200 did not impressed me and its all plastic, 6.3.
Canon seems to have strict size (and weight?) limits for EF-M lenses. I don't think you'll ever see a native zoom that's much better than f6.3 at 200mm, given that a lower f-number would necessarily require a larger lens.

Stichus III

EOS M50
Dec 14, 2012
But with an adapter, All 58 EF lenses and All 17 EF-s lenses work on M cameras.
Yes, and that is the problem. Adapting larger lenses to smaller bodies does not make for a good photography experience.

I talk from experience. I own bodies and lenses in all 3 systems (EF-S, EF and EF-M).

Reactions: digigal

BillB

EOS 6D MK II
May 11, 2017
That is missing the point. Releasing more RF bodies won't help if Canon's research shows that mirrorless body sales are somewhat lagging due to a (perceived) lack of native mirrorless lenses.
Could be that limited RF lenses and limited R cameras are both limiting sales, and sales would increase if either or both lenses and body types are increase

Stichus III

EOS M50
Dec 14, 2012
Could be that limited RF lenses and limited R cameras are both limiting sales, and sales would increase if either or both lenses and body types are increase
I totally agree. But developing (good) lenses apparently takes much more time than developing bodies. As such a short term solution is to release EF/EF-S mirrorless bodies until Canon can build up a large enough catalog of RF lenses.

But this is of course pure speculation.

Reactions: Architect1776

Dragon

EOS M50
May 29, 2019
Ergonomy wise, it does not make sense, not to 7DII users at least. What might be the solution for them, is new sensor type, hifher framerate, APS-C RF version instead .....
You won't know the ergonomics until you see it. Just because all the previous M cameras are small doesn't mean a semi-pro one would be. Same way with the R. When Canon gets around to replacing the 5DS and 1DX cameras with R series bodies, they will need to be larger to satisfy that user base.

Stichus III

EOS M50
Dec 14, 2012
So larger native lenses are so much better?
Don't put words in my mouth.

For what its worth: if 2 lenses are the exact same size and weight, but one needs an adapter and the other one does not, then which one will result in a smaller and lighter camera and lens combo?

I know many photographers that use adapters, but I have yet to meet one that loves using an adapter.

Last edited:

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I totally agree. But developing (good) lenses apparently takes much more time than developing bodies. As such a short term solution is to release EF/EF-S mirrorless bodies until Canon can build up a large enough catalog of RF lenses.

But this is of course pure speculation.
The FD and EOS co-existed for a time as well. The F-1 was in production until about 1992, a 4 full years after the EOS was introduced.

masterpix

EOS 80D
Jun 29, 2016
90D and mirror-less? 90D with EVF? if the answer is "yes" to any of those question, the "animal" can not be called DSLR. So maybe the rumors are mixing two differnt bodies?

Feb 20, 2019
I don’t think there will be a 90D at all lol! This will be a M5ii or a new R series model with RF or M mount and adapter like all the camera releases in the past 18 months by canon.
I don't think so - there's still a big demand for a XXD camera that Canon will want to milk. If they release the M5ii first, it will eat into the 90D sales. Canon will look to maximise profit, as they should do.

Reactions: Rixy and -pekr-

unfocused

EOS 5D SR
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
The conventional wisdom on this forum is that Canon is consciously trying to migrate customers to mirrorless formats. This despite no evidence from Canon that that is the case and in fact, most of the public statements from Canon indicate they see mirrorless as an additional option, rather than a substitute for DSLRs. The 90D will be an APS-C DSLR.

Reactions: slclick

BillB

EOS 6D MK II
May 11, 2017
I don't think so - there's still a big demand for a XXD camera that Canon will want to milk. If they release the M5ii first, it will eat into the 90D sales. Canon will look to maximise profit, as they should do.
M5II or XXD, it is Canon who is making the money. The relative price of the two models might well be important, if Canon doesn't want to leave money on the table, but I can't see how the timing of the two releases is important to how much money Canon would make.

Ale_F

6D - 7D
Nov 22, 2018
Two models (90D and M5 II), same bases, different mount.
The first is a ML in a metal reflex aps-c body for pro users (read 7D III)
The second is M.

I choose the first!

slclick

PINHOLE
Dec 17, 2013
Ergonomy wise, it does not make sense, not to 7DII users at least. What might be the solution for them, is the new sensor type, higher framerate, APS-C RF version instead .....
I like the word ergonomy even though Mr. Webster does not. We can submit for inclusion!

criscokkat

EOS RP
Sep 26, 2017
Madison, WI
The FD and EOS co-existed for a time as well. The F-1 was in production until about 1992, a 4 full years after the EOS was introduced.
I'm guessing that's because they needed to fulfill contracts and provide support to thousands of working professionals that used F-1's for their work in newspapers and magazines (waaaaaaay more than there are these days!). And really it wasn't that long. The Pro EOS camera with a high speed motor attached could originally only reach 5.5 fps. The f1 in certain configurations and setups could hit 14 fps with a modified pellicle prism. However the normal f1 with high speed motor drives attached could hit 9, which was faster than the first EOS Pro camera. There was a RT that was produced at that time that could hit 10 fps, but when you were shooting at speed on any of these high speed cameras you couldn't autofocus fast enough anyhow until later in the 90's, so it's advantages over the existing F-1 and the fd lenses were not as great as regular photography with autofocus capabilities.

If for some reason they don't come out with a DSLR 1dMkIII I'm guessing they'll keep the 1dMkII in production for a while longer to fulfill any support contracts needed with working professionals out there.

slclick

PINHOLE
Dec 17, 2013
When Canon has ML Crop & FF bodies which appeal to every genre, job, lifestyle and hobby as their DSLR lineup offers THEN you can announce the belief that they are done with the mirrors. Too many segments are not covered with the two offerings. I say another 6-10 bodies might do it. Ricockulous.

Feb 20, 2019
M5II or XXD, it is Canon who is making the money. The relative price of the two models might well be important, if Canon doesn't want to leave money on the table, but I can't see how the timing of the two releases is important to how much money Canon would make.
Releasing the m5ii first will cause more people jump to mirrorless and the M mount. Sure Canon eventuality want this, but they can still sell the eos ef/ef-s cameras for a few more years and then get people to switch. Canon have a big and loyal user base, so I believe they will do this to maximise sales.

Reactions: pj1974

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Hmmm...
The only other time Canon has used the '90' moniker was on their last ever, and most sophisticated FD camera, the T90 (although the T60 came out after this, it that was built by Cosina). It always seemed odd to me that it never featured in the roll film EOS system. While it's too early for them to terminate the EOS system, it would be the camera equivalent to the Circle of Life where they to mark the end of the EOS system with the EOS 90D!
RF mount cameras are also EOS cameras. Their names are the "EOS R" and the "EOS RF".

EF-M mount cameras are also EOS cameras. Some of their names are the "EOS M50" and "EOS M5".

Reactions: canonical

Danglin52

EOS T7i
Aug 8, 2018
It would be a giggle if the 80D/7D II replacement was a high end M series camera, and why not. All the EF lenses work just fine on M cameras wit DPAF with the adapter. The other camera may be the M5 replacement and hence a lower tier camera. We will know in a month or so. In the meantime, there will be lots of speculation.
I actually like my M5 with I would be happy with updated sensor to match or exceed the 80d, fast/accurate AF, overall performance to make it "snappy" in all functions, 4k video, better/faster EVF, 10fps w/100 shot buffer. I have heard the M5 sensor is the same as the d80 but the m5 is not as sharp on The Digital Picture charts. I have not had a single problem w/adapted lenses on the m5 and really like the camera overall except for performance in faster shooting situations.