Canon EOS M6 Mark II full specifications

Well i just bought an m50 and now will likely have to get rid of it. because the no ibis +cheap plastic (too light) + hard shutter shock body truly impacts my shots.

FWIW IBIS doesn't really help at all with shutter shock. The high end Olympus bodies have had the best IBIS in the industry for quite some time and are made of a cast magnesium shell, yet they still had major issues with shutter shock until they switched to a new shutter mechanism.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Today:

3.5 years ago:

IIRC, your 70D also failed to give you sharp images, and there were probably other ‘debacles’ in the meantime. Sounds like you are either an eternal optimist who keeps buying Canon (think Charlie Brown as Lucy keeps pulling the football away), a slow learner, or something about your technique is causing a problem for you.

Thanks for going through my forum history

Never had a 70d..I think you meant 7d. It was utterly great until the focus went bad, Canon couldn't fix it after 4 tries. Yes, 4.

I got rid of the M3. It was junk. POS.

I've also had focus fails on 3 of this bodies, all eventually fixed by Canon. CPS knows me well.

I have 5 other Canon bodies that work fine with no issues. I'm invested in Canon. That's why Im on these forums, maybe you're slow to notice or understand that . Touche.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
FWIW IBIS doesn't really help at all with shutter shock. The high end Olympus bodies have had the best IBIS in the industry for quite some time and are made of a cast magnesium shell, yet they still had major issues with shutter shock until they switched to a new shutter mechanism.

Agreed, and hey, I'd take anything that helps. The shutter shock is so noticable, it's a wonder why not a single review mentions it. Maybe because they are too busy counting the sponsorship dollars. ()

My M1 turned much more reliable when I added a metal grip from fotodiox. The body was already metal(magnesium?). Unfortunately, only one person/entity has tried to make a grip for the M50....for a best selling camera, there's nothing out there. I'm going to try a smallcage instead and see if it's feasible. Trying my best to make it reliable...I'm shooting tomorrow and I can't bring it with me. All portraits

Upvote 0
But it could technically use a separate chip for that.

Or maybe all Digic 8s are not the same? Do we actually know a Digic 8 in camera A is the same as in camera B?

All Digic 8s are the same. That said, high end Canons usually have an additional older Digic processor that is not mentioned in the spec sheets to handle some specialized functions, especially focussing/exposure, but those are not used for data communication. Their absence on lower end cameras may have an impact in that the main processor has to handle that additional workload, and that may affect the data communication speed it can reasonable handle at the same time.

Upvote 0
Agreed, and hey, I'd take anything that helps. The shutter shock is so noticable, it's a wonder why not a single review mentions it. Maybe because they are too busy counting the sponsorship dollars. ()

My M1 turned much more reliable when I added a metal grip from fotodiox. The body was already metal(magnesium?). Unfortunately, only one person/entity has tried to make a grip for the M50....for a best selling camera, there's nothing out there. I'm going to try a smallcage instead and see if it's feasible. Trying my best to make it reliable...I'm shooting tomorrow and I can't bring it with me. All portraits

Are you sure that it is shutter shock and not just the lens stabilization making a micro adjustment while you are taking a picture?

Shutter shock would be evident in every picture you took, not just some.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
All Digic 8s are the same. That said, high end Canons usually have an additional older Digic processor that is not mentioned in the spec sheets to handle some specialized functions, especially focussing/exposure, but those are not used for data communication. Their absence on lower end cameras may have an impact in that the main processor has to handle that additional workload, and that may affect the data communication speed it can reasonable handle at the same time.

The Canon marketing materials mention things like "Dual Digic 4" and "Digic 5+" to show a particular camera has something more or better than the other ones. Their wording implies the '+' models are running faster than the regular models.
But yes, so far no mention of a camera with Digic 8+, so all Digic 8s out there should be the same.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Let me make it as plain as possible. It's all related to why Ibis is important for these small lightweight cameras. I've used an M1 professionally for 5 years, in many situations. So mirrorless is not new to me.

Anyways, here's my points in a simple fleshed out list.

1- I have several month old M50. The body itself is nice and functions well. Good shape, and controls.

2- THAT BEING SAID, the plastic feels cheap and it feels very fragile.

3- I'm encountering trivial shooting situations where Im getting oof images of the subject. A model in front of the camera, not moving for example. This is the main problem.

4- It's well documented that with higher density sensors, you will likely have to double your shutter speed (say, compared to 18/20mp sensors of old) to get sharp photos as he sensors are more sensitive to slight movements.

5- No one talks about the shutter shock with these cameras, so I bring it up so that it can go on fellow camera buyers radar. Combined with the above characteristics, AND no Ibis, it's basically a recipe for many blurry images. That is exactly what I'm experiencing..right now.

6 - The added weight of adapting heavier EF lenses hasn't helped, which I find strange. The EF 35IS is usually attached to it, however the blurry images persist.

7 - Many mirror less cameras use electronic first curtain shutters that can eliminate the affects of hardware shutter shock. However, this body doesn't have that function in manual.modes. Thanks Canon:mad:

6- So that's the situation I'm in now. I love the body. But the combination of being very lightweight and all of the above make it very challenging to consistently get well focused images. And that's a HUGE problem, obviously. I do want to keep it but if I cant find a way to resolve this critical issue, it will have to go.

That's all I've been trying to say here. I'm just sharing my experience, take it as you will.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
All Digic 8s are the same.

We don't know that. Indeed, there's no reason to believe they're more similar to each other than, say, different variants of a given Intel microarchitecture generation. (Also note that DIGICs are not simple general-purpose processors but ASICs with dedicated signal processing hardware for doing most of the "heavy lifting". Which, incidentally, is not unlike modern computer processors with integrated memory controller and GPU.)

It is entirely plausible that different DIGIC 8 instances, although possibly sharing the same basic microarchitecture, may have different number of processing units enabled, or run at different clock speeds depending on the thermal envelope of the body. Also, given the general trends toward multicore architectures and highly-integrated systems-on-a-chip, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't anymore a technical (as opposed to marketing) need for "dual DIGICs" in Canon bodies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Just creating a JPEG from Bayer array Raw data takes a huge amount of processing for 30 million pixels, and then all the adjustments and lens corrections. Even if you are shoot Raw, the camera still makes a JPEG so you can preview it. I'm amazed that the cameras work as fast and as well as they do.

And for modern Canon sensors it's twice that due to the Dual Pixel architecture!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
3- I'm encountering trivial shooting situations where Im getting oof images of the subject. A model in front of the camera, not moving for example. This is the main problem.

4- It's well documented that with higher density sensors, you will likely have to double your shutter speed (say, compared to 18/20mp sensors of old) to get sharp photos as he sensors are more sensitive to slight movements.

5- No one talks about the shutter shock with these cameras, so I bring it up so that it can go on fellow camera buyers radar. Combined with the above characteristics, AND no Ibis, it's basically a recipe for many blurry images. That is exactly what I'm experiencing..right now.
I don't see what shutter shock or lack of IBIS have to do with out-of-focus images. Care to explain?

Or do you mean that you miss the focus because you need to keep the aperture open because you need to use faster shutter speed?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Can I suggest that you have a insular perspective on the world? 12/8/19 is a valid date format for 12-August-2019. Perhaps you quote front element filter sizes in inches?
Well, I don’t think you overslept a few years. But apparently you overslept by 9 days, since you posted that reply on the morning of Wed 21Aug2019, your time.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Anything is valid. I could call today the 76th of Octember. International standard, however, is YYYYMMDD.
DD/MM/YYYYY is the date standard used in Australia. Which is a bit backwards to what folks are used to in North Americas. Hence I usually quote month by name as in August to avoid any possible confusion.

Upvote 0
You have data to support this? You love to brag that Canon has the #1 marketshare and that their marketshare is growing very slowly. Of course this is not causation. It's not even correlation. The majority of the cameras Canon does sell have p24. It's mostly just the newly released ones that don't. Maybe the lack of p24 in their new models is going to meaningfully impact their sales. When they sell less cameras in 2019 vs. 2018 will that be proof that p24 mattered to potential buyers?

Further, borrowing your game of twisting things out of context as argument support... Canon's best selling camera, the Rebel T7, has 1080p24. So clearly the feature is important to buyers and has driven the Rebel T7 to the top of Canon's sales chart.

As usual, your argument makes no sense. People who really want p24 aren't going to buy it, so they wouldn't be buyers. As such talking about desires of buyers of the model makes no sense in the context of a feature that's missing. It would be more useful to talk about a survey of potential buyers on what caused them to not buy it. I'm sure you don't have that data though, so just more opinionating by you that you try to disguise as a "fact" behind incredibly poorly reasoned arguments.
Neuro! You got buttslammed lol

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010

Is it possible that may have something to do with how you hold the camera and how you r index finger pushing the shutter release?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
DD/MM/YYYYY is the date standard used in Australia. Which is a bit backwards to what folks are used to in North Americas. Hence I usually quote month by name as in August to avoid any possible confusion.

Most people here (USA) write it that was too. I’ve seen federal documents written multiple ways despite us being an ISO member.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
DD/MM/YYYYY is the date standard used in Australia.
Most people here (USA) write it that was too. I’ve seen federal documents written multiple ways despite us being an ISO member.
:unsure: USA standard format is MM/DD/YYYY. Previous companies I’ve worked at have adopted an unambiguous format – 26Aug2019 – for recordkeeping, e.g., lab notebooks. One significant problem with that, as well as with both the US and international formats, is that they don’t sort chronologically (e.g. file names). YYYYMMDD is useful for that reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0