Canon EOS R “One YEAR Later” REVIEW…does it hold up?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Jared Polin gives his thoughts on the Canon EOS R a year later and Canon’s full-frame mirrorless future.
On September 26, 2019, Canon will be releasing the new v1.4.0 firmware for the EOS R, which should add some goodies for a lot of shooters. I think the EOS R was a good first step, but I agree with Jared, they need to do more with the bodies to close the perceived gap with Sony.
2020 will be a huge year, so sit tight Canon shooters.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 3 users
I actually appreciate the review before the major firmware update. Since the camera has been out for about a year now, it’s useful to know how the mostly unmodified product held up over that long period of time. If the video was taken after the firmware, then it may detract from the important impressions the user experienced during the time before it. Having watched this, I’m curious as to what his opinion will be after the firmware and how much it may change.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I actually appreciate the review before the major firmware update. Since the camera has been out for about a year now, it’s useful to know how the mostly unmodified product held up over that long period of time. If the video was taken after the firmware, then it may detract from the important impressions the user experienced during the time before it. Having watched this, I’m curious as to what his opinion will be after the firmware and how much it may change.
We saw the firmware being tested while in Atlanta and the EYE AF was def better. But that doesn't make the 3fps in focus priority change or any of the herky jerky fake blackout free shooting go away.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
I started liking Jared when he stood up for the 6d2 and focused on real world performance instead of specs. He now seems to have devolved into click bait headlines and reviews with little substance. As others have mentioned, if he was serious about giving the R an honest shake, he would have waited for 1.4. I also find it ironic that he wears a "I shoot raw" shirt, while dismissing the R's video capabilities even though it has 4 times the bitrate of Sony and grades better in log (the raw equivalent for video). Alik Griffin, potato jet, Armando Ferreira, and others have done extensive comparisons with Sony in regards to video and how well Sony log grades versus Canon log, and they all concluded the Canon R is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I'd love to see a review from someone who is actually shooting the 'R' on a daily basis and despite the content (I like the Videos) suggested there are photo- and cinematographers out there who are using the 'R' professionally.
There are numerous advantages already mentioned in other threads on this site, sadly not in the video, and elsewhere.
Don't forget: Mere specs don't show the full "picture" ;)
I don't want to enter the dungeon of S... VS C... VS N... VS F... & Co. but to be fair most points which are mentioned are not really relevant to most people and not all requirements mentioned can be found in one single camera.
Which is sad I have to admit since "all I want is the perfect camera", of course. :)

Upvote 0

ronno

Pro
Sep 8, 2019
Hi Jared. Thanks for your input, and the time you spend on these reviews.
I agree that the herky-jerky view while shooting fast is a major problem. Shooting single frames works fine, but I tried shooting surfers with this camera and it was a real joke. Once I start shooting there is No way to tell where the surfer is at any given moment. The slow frame rate does not help either…
And yes, the new firmware does not appear to remedy either of these two main issues.

I have to say the focus has been extremely accurate on this camera. Best on any Canon camera in my opinion. Thus my results have been sharper than ever. Output is sharper than my 5D4. Maybe it’s the lack of vibration, better AF, sharper lenses...improved/tweaked sensor?

I also agree that they’re doing a great job with the lenses, and I have no doubt that great bodies will be coming soon.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I started liking Jared when he stood up for the 6d2 and focused on real world performance instead of specs. He now seems to have devolved into click bait headlines and reviews with little substance. As others have mentioned, if he was serious about giving the R an honest shake, he would have waited for 1.4. I also find it ironic that he wears a "I shoot raw" shirt, while dismissing the R's video capabilities even though it has 4 times the bitrate of Sony and grades better in log (the raw equivalent for video). Alik Griffin, potato jet, Armando Ferreira, and others have done extensive comparisons with Sony in regards to video and how well Sony log grades versus Canon log, and they all concluded the Canon R is better.

My opinion as well.
The videos became quite boring lately and some approach silly and juvenile. Perhaps appealing to low IQ snowflakes.
I also do not like click bait and that makes me stop immediately looking at what ever.
So lately I have quit watching and wait until they become informative again. I watch all brands so as to know what people are discussing across the equipment spectrum. But yes there seems to be bias but we all have it so I overlook it.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I also appreciate Fro's candor and generally knowledgeable videos.

In my opinion, he is completely correct about the EVF being problematic for any type of action. Using the EOS R for action--even toddlers? Frame subject, focus, guess which way the subject is heading, hit the shutter button for a burst, and hope for the best!

Thanks to his videos and a few others, and a few members here who share experiences accurately, I knew this going in, and accepted the fact that the EOS R would be a stepping stone to a better mirrorless, something that would work very well for portrait photography while giving me access to the Rf lenses I've been longing for.

Members here who do like their R's emphasize the AF accuracy, something that really cannot be appreciated just by reading or watching a video. Truly a boon for portraits.

The other great aspect of mirrorless is being able to see tiny changes in exposure as they affect shadows and highlights on faces--before making the capture.

Does it work for landscape too? Yes, but I don't see a single advantage in this type of photography over a 5DIV at all. Remember, the 5D IV's Live-View AF is quicker than its predecessors, also accurate, and just works great for still-lifes and landscapes. Plus, sad reports are trickling in about the R's susceptibility to water droplets seeping into the EVF.

For all your antics, Fro, you are providing good info for these purchase decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0