Canon EOS R body with more than 75mp on the horizon [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’ve speculated recently that Canon will not be releasing next iterations for the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R, and instead will move the high megapixel cameras to the EOS R line.
A few more people have told us that this will indeed be the case and that an EOS R camera with slightly more than 75mp is in development. This camera could appear sometime in the 2nd half of 2019 we’re told. Though an exact announcement date is a long way from being decided.
One source added that the high megapixel EOS R will come once 4 or 5 more native RF mount lenses are announced, with one of the new lenses being “the best landscape lens in the Canon lineup”.
There are no more imaging announcements in 2018, but early 2019 should see the PowerShot and EOS DSLR lineup getting new additions, and a bit later another EOS R camera body, though the next EOS R body is expected to be “entry level”.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Last edited:

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
I really hope it’s not resolution for the sake of it. When the 5DSR was released I hired it alongside the D810 and always picked up the D810. You got a few less megapixels but the files were much cleaner. Better low light performance, better dynamic range and less noise.

The 5DIV was a step in the right direction and the sensor was much better than the 5DSR. Let’s hope the sensor holds up in areas other than just resolution.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I imagine that most CR readers are as unsurprised by this rumor as I am (not so much).

Exciting times ahead for photographers who have learned to trust Canon, and enticing times ahead for all of us (some non-Canon shooters) who know how to use these wonderful tools.

As I've posted previously here, I've postponed my purchase of the 11-24 EF lens--I'm looking forward to what Canon offers in the R mount wide-angle 'version'.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What about DPAF with horizontal AND vetical AF capabilities by alternating orientations of the dual pixel groups? Would make it much easier than Quad Pixel architectures (2 times the data compared to DP).

And essantially a 17 Mpixel camera with RGGB-Arrays for each image pixel ... if they manage to make an on-chip readout for these arrays. So maybe dual use: very high res (landscape, product) OR better low light IQ and faster tracking with lower pixel count (all types of action).

Upvote 0
I just hope they don't forget equipping it with 4k recording with the appropriate crop for the video enthusiasts.

If you have some 10500 pixel image width you can use close to 8k pixels width for video and the crop would be around 1.3: Using 2x2 R/GG/B pixels is easy to convert to RGB colors: No debayering necessary - maybe that is some idea to increase the pixel count?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I remember the year 2000 when I had a 1600X1200 pixel camera. There was no need for images of that size because they were larger than any display could show, and here we are now, 18 years later, and the same argument continues :)

For some people, this is true. For others, false. If the camera is not for you, so what? Don't deny others their tool.

P1010015.JPG

Reactions: 20 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I remember the year 2000 when I had a 1600X1200 pixel camera. There was no need for images of that size because they were larger than any display could show, and here we are now, 18 years later, and the same argument continues :)

For some people, this is true. For others, false. If the camera is not for you, so what? Don't deny others their tool.

We want 75mp cat pictures Don, not some 2mp nature scene. Get on it please.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0